Worried about new pup - Page 4 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2012, 08:39 PM   #31 (permalink)

Thank you. Like I've said, Kota is very underwieght and stairs are very difficult for him ....he's severely cow hocked....but also, what I forgot to mention is the fact that he does not jump up as if to stand on his hind legs. I thought he was just super polite, but I guess thats not it. I kept trying to get him to jump up and put his feet on my chest, but he just couldn't. I just can't believe this. I found this, and its like I wrote it about Kota "SIGNS OF CHD IN YOUNG DOGS: What you will see first is a pup that runs with both back legs nearly together, almost like a rabbit would run. After exercise the pup will be reluctant to rise, will sit back as if unsteady and will have difficulty climbing stairs or inclines. The pup might look slightly underdeveloped in the rear quarters. When it stands the rear legs may not be parallel, but rather too near each other at the hocks (ankles) called "cow hocked".

You might notice a boniness to the pelvic area from lack of good muscle development. Another hint of trouble is an inability to extend the leg backward very far (decreased range of motion). Note: Many pups rest or sleep in a frog-like position with knees extended out to either side - this is a good sign and shouldn't alarm you.

In severe cases of dysplasia, the young dog will rock forward to support more weight on the front legs (which can create trouble in the shoulders and elbows). When dogs do this it seems as if they are tip-toeing or walking very lightly on their rear legs. A dysplastic pup will be reluctant to jump or "stand up" on its hind legs. Signs usually being between five and eights months of age. But remember, as we learned above, some dogs do not show any signs at all of hip joint degeneration until mature adults. " My poor Kota
KotasMommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2012, 09:16 PM   #32 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBytes View Post
Read here on HD theory - this might be what is going on - not hips specifically, but all ligaments supporting any/all joints - what are you feeding?

Hip Dysplasia DogtorJ.com :: Food Intolerance in Pets & Their People :: Home of The GARD

Hip dysplasia is not a “genetic malformation of the hip socket”, as commonly thought, but rather a weakness in the ligaments that support the hip joint. This allows the ball of this ball-in-socket joint to bang away at the joint surface, preventing the socket from forming properly. In other words, the instability created by weak supportive ligaments keeps the body from being able to manufacture a deep, smooth hip socket for the ball to fit snuggly into, resulting in the flattening of the acetabulum (hip socket) and a squaring of the femoral head (the ball). The sockets are shallow because of repetitive trauma to the developing bone (micro-fractures), which prevents the weight-bearing surface of the hip joint from forming properly. These changes worsen drastically as the cartilage covering of the joint wears away and bone-on-bone contact occurs, leaving them with the characteristic signs of the osteoarthritis we see in radiographs of affective dogs.
I typed up a bunch of stuff a bit ago and accidently closed the site
Anyhow...did you read this link, I have to go walk my dog and "person of interest" is on, but will have some stuff to suggest after 10pm.

The link applies to HD - not what is suggests...click on the underlined

Also can you provide the food the breeder was giving and what you are using as well as treats if any
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 09:24 PM   #33 (permalink)

We are feeding him Pure Balance ( no corn or wheat) but the vet said we should do purina dog food.....a little confusing from what the breeder said about them not having corn or wheat.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:32 PM   #34 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Vets like to push Purina or Science Diet, sometimes Iams. They are all crappy food. I haven't heard of Pure Balance. I will check that out.

Your pup should be on a good large breed puppy food or an adult dog food. Your vet will say large breed puppy. Please do not go with Purina just because the vet said so. But if you do, go with Purina pro-plan -- that is their high end food, and it is not terrible. But I think you pay too much for the name. What I mean by that is that you can find food with similar ingredients and nutrition, possibly better quality, for less money. Kirkland, Diamond Naturals, and some others have good ingredients, good nutrition analysis, and will cost roughly $10 less per bag.

Better foods are Blue, Wellness, Coster and Pollax, and others. Again, what you are feeding might be just fine. Not sure. I will look it up.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 09:51 PM   #35 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Ok, found Pure balance:
Ingredients: Chicken, chicken meal, brown rice, brewers rice, pea protein, poultry fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols, a source of vitamin E), rice bran, dried plain beet pulp, dried egg product, natural flavor, oatmeal, sunflower oil, dried peas, dried carrots, whole flaxseed, dried cranberry, potassium chloride, salt, zinc proteinate, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, l-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), choline chloride, manganese proteinate, l-carnitine, copper proteinate, niacin, d-calcium pantothenate, biotin, sodium selenite, vitamin D3 supplement, riboflavin supplement, thiamine mononitrate, vitamin A supplement, vitamin B12 supplement, calcium iodate, pyridoxine hydrochloride (source of vitamin B6), folic acid

Frankly, I think for a 30 pound bag to be over $38, you can do a lot better. Go to a feed store or a pet store to get pet food. WalMart is trying to make a premium dog food, but this is just a premium price. It does not look terrible. It should say chicken fat, not poultry fat -- that kind of bothers me. When the 70% water is baked out of the chicken it will be way down on the list. Chicken meal is first but it is followed by a group of grains/vegetable protein that when you sum them, are probably higher in content than any of the animal based product.

Again, it is not necessarily a bad food, but you are being over-charged. Purina pro-plan would probably be better than this.

Diamond Naturals Chicken and rice, a medium-level dog food:
Ingredients:Chicken, chicken meal, whole grain brown rice, white rice, cracked pearled barley, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), oatmeal, beet pulp, egg product, flaxseed, natural chicken flavor, fish meal, potassium chloride, choline chloride, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

Not a LOT of difference, some, but this stuff is about $29 for a 40# bag.

I know this is not about the money. I understand that. But I think WalMart is robbing you blind on this.
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah
Old 11-15-2012, 10:10 PM   #36 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Behavioural/fearful (adrenal stress)
developmental/physically (deficiency of collagen)
Itchy skin (thyroid)
lack of appetite (gastro intestinal discomfort)
scooting/anal gland - (related to lepto vax. )
The above are speculations, not facts.
My dogs have anal gland issues from time to time and none have ever had a lepto vax. Sometimes dogs just get an itchy butt or have a "dangler"

Lack of appetite, could be a momentary thing (OP stated it happened once).

Itchy skin, quite probably secondary to the flea infestation, or could simply could be just dry skin, as many dogs have this due to heat inside during the winter.

Developmental/physical and behavior are often products of breeding or the way the dog was housed, and don't necessarily point to illness.

One could speculate all day on all the above, because they really don't specifically indicate illness.

To the OP, I'm going to PM you some info about another pup on here with similar issues to yours, who was found to have normal hips. Please try to remain positive...take one step at a time, for sure!

PS. Do you have photos of him, from the back and side you can post up?

Last edited by msvette2u; 11-15-2012 at 10:14 PM.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 10:27 PM   #37 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Yes, wait for the x-rays. Vets cannot diagnose hip dysplasia without x-rays, and the OFA will not certify hips until the dog is 24 months because they can change.
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah
Old 11-19-2012, 04:59 PM   #38 (permalink)

Hi all. So.....a lot has changed with him already! We just bought him 10 days ago. You know I'm worried about HD and how severely cow hocked he is ( I promise I'll post a pic as soon as I get a good one! his ankles touch) Kota has made what I hope are improvements but then also some behavorial changes that have me very worried. So, his play level has picked up a bit. No more diareeah at all. He's still a little itchy, but only the ONE time did he itch his bottom He is doing stairs MUCH better now and even running around the back yard playing fetch with his ball! All of that has made momma happy When he is running, his hocks do NOT touch even though they are clearly pointed in, so I think thats a good sign, right?! We may change his food. A few questions and then some concerns. I've seen a lot of people say that a puppy shoudlnt' be doing stairs or slick surfaces. This is gonna be impossible for me, because my home is hardwood floors and linoleum! Also, we have front stairs, back stairs off the deck, and the upstairs of our home!! Is it truly bad for them and if so, why? I've also read the cow hocked dogs can't be working dogs because they tire easier. Can he still be protection trained?! CONCERNS---these are big! Kota all of a sudden as taken to dominating my one year old. He scared me badly yesterday because he kept "chewing on him" and would not stop. Obviously, he could have mauled him but didn't and only left some very light marks. BUT he did not seem to be playing and his body language just looked "off." I told him "No" "Down" "off" and he wouldnt' stop. He then layed on top of my baby like he owned him. I had to literally pick up my son and even then he kept trying to bite his ankles and no matter how much or how firm I said "Down" and "no" he got more and more aggressive. My heart was pounding! Even more scary that he waited for me to walk out of the room to do it! Later that night I thought that was a fluke and all would be fine again, and as soon as he saw my baby he ran at him, knocked him down, "nipped" him and layed on top of him again!! He hasn't done it today thank God! He also has decided that he will go in the house if he wants to. He also keeps stealing food from the kids and plates. BTW he IS hopping up standing on him back legs now! Still wobbly though, and once, fell backwards like his hips/legs gave out on him. We are doing treats and praise for teaching him, he gets short walks and lots of outside time and he is in and out the house to pee all day.....why do you think his behavior is getting like this???? He has his own space, toys, bed,......
Old 11-19-2012, 06:09 PM   #39 (permalink)
Elite Member

Yes, I had concerns on 11/15 when he growled at your 4 year old.
I feel you really need to consider these actions carefully as you do not want to endanger your children, even if you are already attached to the pup. Personally, I would NEVER leave him alone with your children, and that may be a hard thing for you as a busy mom. I hope someone on the blog will address this for you.
I wish you the best of luck with the several issues you are struggling with.
Momto2GSDs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 06:49 PM   #40 (permalink)

Awwwe poor puppy!

Like someone told me, its too early to tell if they have elbow problems/hip problems. I suppose its just bexause he is too young, and gangly like they say. When your pup dragged is butt on the floor, was the floor slippery? Was it cement, wood, carpet? My pup shadow was scared of steps.. in order to make her gonup was leaving her by her self and calling her name! Worked like a charm, she was flying up them steps and back down like she had no sense! Lol.. when they are puppies, they are scared of everything and look up to you to keep them safe.. you say he follows you everywhere, so you are like his mom!
Shadow was a little skinny, but she grew up and now she is a great weight!

-love that puppy, because they grow up so fast into big ol monsters! My 5.5 looks so strong and aggresive like, but she wears her heart on her sleeve (:

Play it safe and take him to the vet.. looking online for answers can get you more scared!
kelina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.