Worried about new pup - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2012, 01:52 PM   #21 (permalink)
Elite Member

You are going to get many opinions on all your questions!!! You will have to use your common sense, speak with your vet, and do your own research!

I used Revolution once on my last dog. She got burned by it and it took almost two months for the burn to heal. I called the vet and was told "yeah, that happens sometimes."

Vets will tell you a million times that vaccines are healthy - this is their bread and butter. I got vaccinated against Hep B about 15 years ago and I still have the antibodies in my system, so I PERSONALLY question how any animal needs to be vaccinated on a yearly, or even every 3 years basis.

Again, do your research, go to www.drmarty.com and see his website (I always refer people to his website and book because he writes in layman's terms!)

Good luck with the vet visit, and I hope all is well with your new pup!
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2012, 02:02 PM   #22 (permalink)
Knighted Member

You didn't start an arguement, you came to get advice and all just want you to make informed decissions...regarding the rabies, the law says 4 months, however that can be challenged when they are sick and a responsible vet should advocate for you, but it is about the bottom line.

Revolution is an ivermectin spot on treatment. You have to consider at this time the condition of the pup. What is the weather in ohio in NOV. Look online for heartworm prevelence by time of year...heartworm is not as easy to get as one thinks. Ivermectin is pharma grade Avermectin - Avermectin is a lawn pesticide. Ivermectin is a pesticide that courses through your dogs veins and organs. Also consider MDR-1 - mutant drug resistant - this means the dog lacks the ability to remove the drug from the brain where it builds up overtime leading to seizures and even death. Sometimes immediate. NO heartworm or flea/tick should be given within 6 months of a vaccination. I will find the link about heartworm for you so you can decide. Google MDR-1 (mostly herding breeds, but that is because it has been recognized and tested for....many deaths occur that people do not pay for necropsy report) also to consider is the rising cause of deaths due to cancer (hemagiosarcoma) and kidney failure. The prevelence of hs is spleen mass - the spleen is responsible for cleaning the blood...Ivermectin (and other HW drugs) and other biproducts of the drug/pesticide are processed and filtered by the liver and kidneys and then eliminated. When the liver is overloaded with toxins this is expressed in the eyes and skins....However when you go to vet, they will offer abx. and steroids. And you will be on the hampster wheel of illness, vet, drug, illness, vet, drug...IMHO
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown

Last edited by GatorBytes; 11-15-2012 at 02:04 PM.
GatorBytes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 02:38 PM   #23 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Here is the Heartworm article I think you (everyone) should read

Part 1
Heartworm Medication Part 1: Truths, Omissions and Profits

Part 2
Heartworm Medication Part 2: Options to Fear-Based Recommendations

This one includes some brands and their minor/adverse reactions
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 04:55 PM   #24 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KotasMommy View Post
My puppy was laying on his bed with his bone when he snapped at my 4 yr old. My son wasn't touching him (he was actually laughing at Kota chewing away on his bone), but maybe Kota thought he was too close?!
I'm a little concerned with this since your pup is a little older and it sounds like raised in a kennel. No matter how good a child is and knows right from wrong, I would be worried about this. It only takes one time. It shouldn't matter to the dog if anyone, big or small wants to take anything away from him, but especially a child. When we get a new pup, the first thing we do is for the children and us to put their hands in the dogs bowl (every feeding), touch his body while they are eating and also to play "give and take" with a raw piece of meat or bone (under supervision, of course) but I start this when the pup is 8 weeks old. This issue is something to consider carefully.
It is awful that these things are happening to you. I am truly sorry.
Momto2GSDs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 06:05 PM   #25 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momto2GSDs View Post
It shouldn't matter to the dog if anyone, big or small wants to take anything away from him, but especially a child. When we get a new pup, the first thing we do is for the children and us to put their hands in the dogs bowl (every feeding), touch his body while they are eating and also to play "give and take" with a raw piece of meat or bone (under supervision, of course) but I start this when the pup is 8 weeks old.
I'm going to respectfully disagree on this ... UNLESS the person has given the dog a command to leave it / drop it or something.

My dad and I (Ky's "family" CAN take anything from Kyleigh ... without having to give a command. I can walk right up to her while she's chewing on a raw bone and take it from her.

Can anyone else? NO, and nor do I expect her to. I do expect her to drop it / leave it WHEN someone gives the command (and she will).

I would NEVER expect my dog to readily relinquish what she is chewing on to just ANYONE who walks up and tries to take it out of her mouth. She has been trained to leave it / drop it ... use the commands - she knows what they mean.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:24 PM   #26 (permalink)
Elite Member

Have you ever been fearful of your dog(s)?

There is much discussion about this subject in this thread. I have linked to my post, but there are many other responses regarding this.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:24 PM   #27 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyleigh View Post
I'm going to respectfully disagree on this ... UNLESS the person has given the dog a command to leave it / drop it or something.

My dad and I (Ky's "family" CAN take anything from Kyleigh ... without having to give a command. I can walk right up to her while she's chewing on a raw bone and take it from her.

Can anyone else? NO, and nor do I expect her to. I do expect her to drop it / leave it WHEN someone gives the command (and she will).

I would NEVER expect my dog to readily relinquish what she is chewing on to just ANYONE who walks up and tries to take it out of her mouth. She has been trained to leave it / drop it ... use the commands - she knows what they mean.
Sorry....should have said anyone in the immediate family....not anyone. I was concerned about the very young child in the home.
BTW.....Nice site you suggested!
Momto2GSDs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 06:42 PM   #28 (permalink)
Elite Member

No problem!!!! I'm glad you clarified! My first dog WOULD let anyone take anything from her ... I found it kind of interesting ... a bit unnerving too LOL
Old 11-15-2012, 07:08 PM   #29 (permalink)

Thank you all. Sadly, we've done a lot of crying since leaving the vet today. He is very concerned about Kota. We are doing Xrays next payday. Kota is barely 29lbs and is 18 weeks old. The vet said he didn't feel anything, but he highly suspects it is hip displasia. Kota doesn't run and stairs are so difficult for him. Vet also said no vaccines or meds for anything until we do the x ray and get a better picture of whats going on. Kota is severely cow hocked. Kota again, went crazy at a Rot at the vet. It's only certain dogs he's done this to so far. He is smart and protective already. I researched this breeder and found so much good on the kennel I'm just kinda shocked right now. Kotas dad is Gispo Von Aurelius. When I looked him up on the OFA website, all checks out great. His mother is Campaigners Gevalia "Lia." On the OFA website, her HIPS are not listed. He was guarenteed for up to two years for HD, but of course, that is giving him back and the breeder picking the new pup for us. How could I give him back? He's already become protective and loving towards us. My heart is just so heavy. My husband wants to give him back because we paid for a quality GSD, to protect our home and family. I get what he's saying, but I refuse to give him back. One week from now, we'll get more answers. So, I'm one worried sick Momma
KotasMommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 07:24 PM   #30 (permalink)
Elite Member

I'm so sorry to hear about all your troubles. Poor Kota. I've had a dog with HD ... it's not fun, but it is manageable. I'm sure there are tons of threads on here to help you manage.

Just a heads up .. he's not protective of you ... not at 18 weeks - that's much too young ... he's either fearful of the Rottie (for whatever reason), or he's in pain and lashing out.

Nice to hear that the vet is holding off on vaccines, that will give your pup a chance to get healthy!

Hugs to you and Kota
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.