Worried about new pup - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2012, 10:43 PM   #11 (permalink)
Crowned Member

It probably isn't a hip problem, but a hock/angulation issue, weakness in the rear and possibly front pasterns?

As far as him going off on other dogs/did the breeder socialize him or was he isolated from the world. Imprinting stages happen at 7-12 weeks and it is best to get pups out see the world it isn't overwhelming when they finally do get out and about.
developmental stages
That link has many informational articles worth reading.

Last edited by onyx'girl; 11-14-2012 at 10:47 PM.
onyx'girl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2012, 10:44 PM   #12 (permalink)
Banned

The rabies vaccine is safe and shouldn't cause any issues.

It's quite possible he's just settling in and becoming more comfortable. What were the kids doing when he snapped? Was he playing? Eating?
It's bad he's so fearful, that is not a good sign (as with the bathing, etc.)

Last edited by msvette2u; 11-14-2012 at 10:45 PM. Reason: typo
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 12:39 AM   #13 (permalink)

Just relax. New puppyhood is a little stressful in the beginning. Get him checked out, dewormed and an overall health check. Your puppy might be picking up on your concerns. In no time he will come around if you build on a solid foundation. It sounds like you are off to a good start with the house breaking?

I have found with my girl, that she is a picky eater compared to other dogs I have owned in the past. I also notice she doesn't care for baths, yet she loves to play with the water stream from the hose on a hot day and dive into her kiddie pool! So if it is her idea, she loves water!

My pup was very aloof in the beginning. It worried me a little but it wasn't long before she began to interact with me. Now she won't leave my side! But I worked diligently with training. Short training sessions, clicker in the very beginning, made the learning fun, did games with her, tons of praise etc.. Mine is not spooky but sometimes she will come upon something and her hair will go up, mind you it could be a trash bag or one day a seven up can, lol, and she will let off and bark...a big bark.

Well good luck, I think you will see your puppy will amaze you!

And all dogs can get worms. You can have a sample taken from his stool and find out exactly what to treat him with!
dbrk9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 12:51 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KotasMommy View Post
So,....my fears are not all better now My friend told me about a clinic and so I went, but come to find out, it's not a "real" vet hospital. They don't even do x ray. So, I am making an appt with Gateway. The vet said that she is concered about his hind legs She noticed right away how much his back feet turn out) and how he's wobbly. We are doing a stool sample to test for worms. He did have to get his rabies vax because "The Cuyahoga County Board of Health requires that all dogs, cats and ferrets that reside in the Boards health jurisdiction are vaccinated against the rabies virus when they turn 4 months old." I am gonna be a wreck until he is x rayed and I know for sure I just don't get it. His hips are guaranteed and were x rayed....so I just don't get it. I also don't get why all of ao sudden today, he decided to get all aggressive. He was as gentle as could be at the vet, but as soon as another dog walked by, he was nuts. He was barking and growling. When we got home, he snapped at my kids. If his hips are messed up, I could get a new puppy according to the contract, but I wouldn't do it. I can't give him back
Oh, sorry, I didn't read all of the posts. About the aggression, what worked with my dog was redirecting her. I have been taking her to horse shows and she is much better now. At first, and at that same age she would lunge out at other dogs and BARK! If I pulled on her it made it worse, so I just turned her and redirected her and it worked wonders! Some do not understand when a shepherd puppy does that but if you just work with him and redirect him he will get better. I just kept taking my puppy and kept exposing her. Now I can let her run free at dog beach and she plays and comes back to me!

Snapping is a no no. What was your kid doing? Was the snap out of the blue? My daughter tried to push my puppy over in the car and her instinct was to turn and snap. We both said NO and she straightened right out. But then I told my daughter, she can't do that. That the puppy is big and if you do that you will get snapped at! As long as, you come across as your dog's leader he will get better.

I will admit, I love my puppy and believe she has got to be one of the smartest dogs I have ever owned. And I am well aware that I will be a better dog owner because she is in a sense teaching me!

As far as, the vet goes, they have a way of saying things that make you think of the worst and pay all this money out for big tests etc.. It sounds like it is just his conformation. I see quite a few GSD with hind ends like that. What do the parents look like? Study their pictures.
dbrk9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 01:07 AM   #15 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Read here on HD theory - this might be what is going on - not hips specifically, but all ligaments supporting any/all joints - what are you feeding?

Hip Dysplasia DogtorJ.com :: Food Intolerance in Pets & Their People :: Home of The GARD

Hip dysplasia is not a “genetic malformation of the hip socket”, as commonly thought, but rather a weakness in the ligaments that support the hip joint. This allows the ball of this ball-in-socket joint to bang away at the joint surface, preventing the socket from forming properly. In other words, the instability created by weak supportive ligaments keeps the body from being able to manufacture a deep, smooth hip socket for the ball to fit snuggly into, resulting in the flattening of the acetabulum (hip socket) and a squaring of the femoral head (the ball). The sockets are shallow because of repetitive trauma to the developing bone (micro-fractures), which prevents the weight-bearing surface of the hip joint from forming properly. These changes worsen drastically as the cartilage covering of the joint wears away and bone-on-bone contact occurs, leaving them with the characteristic signs of the osteoarthritis we see in radiographs of affective dogs.

The Vet did not HAVE to do a rabies vaccine. It could wait until the dog is well. May also be the reason for sudden change in behaviour a symptom of vaccine reaction
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 06:36 AM   #16 (permalink)
Elite Member

Vaccinations are dangerous!
THIS is from a professional Dr. Jean Dodds who has devoted her life to vaccination research:
"Some veterinarians today still tell their clients there is no scientific evidence linking vaccinations with adverse effects and serious illness. This is ignorance, and confuses an impressionable client. On the other hand, vaccine zealots abound with hysteria and misinformation. None of these polarized views is helpful.
Veterinarians are still routinely vaccinating ill dogs and those with chronic diseases or prior adverse vaccine reactions. This is especially problematic for rabies boosters, as many colleagues believe they have no legal alternative, even though the product label states it’s intended for healthy animals."
Adverse Reactions to Vaccine: Treatment and Management | Truth4Dogs
Momto2GSDs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 09:47 AM   #17 (permalink)
Banned

I really think it's irresponsible to put these "dire warnings" on there, when rabies is 100% deadly to our pets, and parvo and distemper still kill dogs across the nation. Distemper's survival rate is much lower than parvo and parvo, if caught early and treated, still kills 20-30 dogs out of 100.

There's recommendations and guidelines for vaccinating from the AVMA and that's what people should be following.

At the very least, owners are led to believe they did something "wrong" when in fact they were being responsible owners.
There's a risk to everything in life, and not vaccinating carries far more risks.

I am confused as to why people keep saying this puppy was sick, I saw no indication (other than how he is standing) to indicate he was sick

This is a responsible protocol for vaccinating.

http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/depts-vth/vaccinations.aspx

Quote:
On the other hand, vaccine zealots abound with hysteria and misinformation. None of these polarized views is helpful.

Last edited by msvette2u; 11-15-2012 at 09:51 AM.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 10:09 AM   #18 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KotasMommy View Post
nearly four months now.
We are taking him to the vet tomorrow at 5pm and hope to have some answers.
Here are my conerns---1. His back paws often turn outward, like, completely....East and West, seriously. It's not constant, but verrry often. He also is terrified of stairs and struggles with them. He is scared of everything also. He gets playful here and there, but mostly, he lays.
2. He had bad fleas when we bought him. ( we didnt' know it at the time.) we took him home and tried to bathe him So, when we found the fleas, but yet, he is still itching I also treated my carpets. 3. He is very skinny and today he would hardly eat, but did nip at grass outside, and today was 4. dragging his butt on the ground so I'm scared he has worms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by msvette2u View Post

I am confused as to why people keep saying this puppy was sick, I saw no indication (other than how he is standing) to indicate he was sick
5 reasons to indicate this dog is sick
Behavioural/fearful (adrenal stress)
developmental/physically (deficiency of collagen)
Itchy skin (thyroid)
lack of appetite (gastro intestinal discomfort)
scooting/anal gland - (related to lepto vax. )

Alll adds up to compromised immune system

*and now lashing out after a rabies vaccine*

Recommondations by the AVMA and vaccine companies are for HEALTHY ANIMALS...the only ones who seem to ignore this is the veterinarians who take the oath "First do no harm"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 10:18 AM   #19 (permalink)
Elite Member

IMHO it is "responsible" to read ALL the studies and info that is out there first (not just one source) THEN, make a decision as to when, what, and how many are given to a particular animal and their individual condition.
Momto2GSDs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 01:37 PM   #20 (permalink)

I didn't mean to start an argument here at all. Thank you all for your feedback. Whoever said that I didn't need to have is rabies vaccine though, yes I did. I live in Cleveland Ohio in Cuyahoga county and the law says at four months he has to be vaccinated or I cannot register him. If I don't register him, he is illegal and can be taken away. I do thank all of you for voicing your concerns/suggestions. I am SO pleased that Gateway has an opening tonight and so he'll get checked out again. My puppy was laying on his bed with his bone when he snapped at my 4 yr old. My son wasn't touching him (he was actually laughing at Kota chewing away on his bone), but maybe Kota thought he was too close?! My neighbors have dogs and Kota has never barked at them, so the aggression with the dog at the clinic, ....maybe Kota sensed something in him? I don't know, but we'll find out. We havn't even had him a week yet. He is always by me though, so he took right to me. I try running around with him in the back yard everyday and he just doesn't want to. He wants to walk and nibble leaves and sometimes gets playful with a toy or bone, but still has major issues with stairs. His father is Gispo Von Aurelius and his mother is Campaigners Givalia. They look good to me ( I am far from an expert though! lol) I was youtubing videos of GSD's with hip problems and that looks how my dog walks. I'm gonna feel so much better after our appt tonight to know whats going on a little better. I am feeding Kota 'Pure Balance" with no corn or wheat. The breeder said a raw chicken thigh is good for him too, but I havn't given him one yet. What are your thoughts on "Revolution." Vet suggested that because it deals with heart worms, fleas, and a ton of other things.
KotasMommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.