First time GSD owner, "In Da House!!" - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2012, 03:49 PM   #21 (permalink)

I have a couple questions... first of all, let me say this is my first "high quality" dog... he is a pink papered GSD... How do I go about learning about the history of the dogs listed in his pedigree lineage?
Also, the lady who imported him (not sure to call her a breeder or'importer') seems to get uncomfortable when I ask about breeding him or showing him in the future.. she said "I purchased him as a family pet..." "he was sold as a family dog..." I never did state my intentions when talking to her. I am competitive by nature and also, want yoschi to live up to his potential. I have the time and the means to take him all the way... all I need is the education and training to make it happen... lol, I did say that "I" need the training... why foes this lady seem so touchy about all this.... for the record she is a German born lady with all the stern attitude that comes with that... I liked her, but my wife was really put off by her and we almost didn't get yoschi because of it
Yoschi's_Pet_Human is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2012, 04:33 PM   #22 (permalink)

Welcome from Austin as well. Yoschi's a good looking pup.

As far as your questions go...

Yoschi's what's known as a West German Showline GSD. If you haven't gotten the lowdown by now, what it boils down to is that there are sort of four distinct lines of GSD. There are the European Working Lines, the West German Showlines, American Showlines, and American pet lines. And around here, you'll no doubt soon discover, there's a pretty strong bias in favor of the working lines.

Lots and lots of European dogs make their way to the US, of course, and Yoschi's pink papers really just mean he was registered in Germany as opposed to in the US. And that doesn't really mean a whole lot in and of itself.

If you want to research the dogs in his pedigree, the pedigree database is a good place to start. Just type in any of their names and see what you come up with.

Also, you can just Google the whole names of dogs in his pedigree. Doing that will usually lead you to them in the pedigree database, but it's amazing what else you might find.

As far as the breeder being reserved when you asked about breeding him...well, many breeders just are. But keep in mind most people have no idea what's involved in actually breeding to improve the breed vs. just throwing a couple dogs together and making puppies and money. Surely you know all that from the fish, but the breeder doesn't necessarily know that.

Anyway, I'm not sure if you have to buy breeding rights separately with German Registered dogs. But as long as you have them, then what you do with the dog is in the end up to you.

And don't worry about his ears. WGSL's just seem to have bigger ears, and it's not uncommon at all for them to take awhile to come up.
Typhoon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 05:50 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoon View Post
Welcome from Austin as well. Yoschi's a good looking pup.

As far as your questions go...

Yoschi's what's known as a West German Showline GSD. If you haven't gotten the lowdown by now, what it boils down to is that there are sort of four distinct lines of GSD. There are the European Working Lines, the West German Showlines, American Showlines, and American pet lines. And around here, you'll no doubt soon discover, there's a pretty strong bias in favor of the working lines.

Lots and lots of European dogs make their way to the US, of course, and Yoschi's pink papers really just mean he was registered in Germany as opposed to in the US. And that doesn't really mean a whole lot in and of itself.

If you want to research the dogs in his pedigree, the pedigree database is a good place to start. Just type in any of their names and see what you come up with.

Also, you can just Google the whole names of dogs in his pedigree. Doing that will usually lead you to them in the pedigree database, but it's amazing what else you might find.

As far as the breeder being reserved when you asked about breeding him...well, many breeders just are. But keep in mind most people have no idea what's involved in actually breeding to improve the breed vs. just throwing a couple dogs together and making puppies and money. Surely you know all that from the fish, but the breeder doesn't necessarily know that.

Anyway, I'm not sure if you have to buy breeding rights separately with German Registered dogs. But as long as you have them, then what you do with the dog is in the end up to you.

And don't worry about his ears. WGSL's just seem to have bigger ears, and it's not uncommon at all for them to take awhile to come up.
Thanks... She told me it would take two years to qualify him as a breeder and that it takes tons of work,,, I said, "ok" ...... lol.... I have the true willingness to do what it takes.... I'm not just wanting to make money...lol,,,, I've never done anything just for money.. not in my whole life,, there is always a greater purpose... money is a necessary perversion to all that is good... Just like with my fish,, I was told never to sell them cheap or give them away,, people that get them cheap or free won't spend the money and time on them to give them the care they need and deserve.
I honestly am not sure what I will end up doing with Yoschi... I plan on neutering him at some point, if for nothing more than health reasons. I may want to breed him once or twice prior to that though... I just want my options open... I want him trained to the highest standard possible... do you know of any top notch training places in Austin?
Old 11-16-2012, 06:12 PM   #24 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I can't help with the local questions about clubs, and I don't know much about WGSL's, but your pup is gorgeous and I am a fish keeper by nature as well (though pet aquarium tropical fish only, LOL). But wanted to try to answer your question about the breeder stating you purchased him as a pet only.

Within a litter, you will not necessarily have all uniform pups. Since you breed fish, that may help you understand that dogs (anything really) are quite similar in that out of allllll those fry that are born, very few are show quality. The rest may very well be super nice fish, nicer than anything you'd find in a petstore or the average backyard pond. But their markings won't be quite right, their conformation not quite right, etc. Not necessarily anything wrong, just not show quality.

With a litter, WGSL and ASL (american show lines) they are often priced differently and sold according to what standards the breeder feels they measure up to. So pet quality puppies would be puppies that the breeder feels, for whatever reason, are not up to par for a show dog, but still make a top notch pet and companion. That doesn't mean you can't still show the dog, and for all your know your pup could end up being top notch. Puppies are a crapshoot, and you don't always know what you have until they grow up.

Best of luck to you!
Rerun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 06:41 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rerun View Post
I can't help with the local questions about clubs, and I don't know much about WGSL's, but your pup is gorgeous and I am a fish keeper by nature as well (though pet aquarium tropical fish only, LOL). But wanted to try to answer your question about the breeder stating you purchased him as a pet only.

Within a litter, you will not necessarily have all uniform pups. Since you breed fish, that may help you understand that dogs (anything really) are quite similar in that out of allllll those fry that are born, very few are show quality. The rest may very well be super nice fish, nicer than anything you'd find in a petstore or the average backyard pond. But their markings won't be quite right, their conformation not quite right, etc. Not necessarily anything wrong, just not show quality.

With a litter, WGSL and ASL (american show lines) they are often priced differently and sold according to what standards the breeder feels they measure up to. So pet quality puppies would be puppies that the breeder feels, for whatever reason, are not up to par for a show dog, but still make a top notch pet and companion. That doesn't mean you can't still show the dog, and for all your know your pup could end up being top notch. Puppies are a crapshoot, and you don't always know what you have until they grow up.

Best of luck to you!
That thought had crossed my mind that it wasn't up to show standards... I don't know what dogs of this caliber sell for normally.. to be honest this was such a spur of the moment decision that we didn't look around at all and since she only had one boy, we bought him without a second thought. Needless to say though, he wasn't cheap... lol.. never imagined I would spend that much on a dog... at the same time, if I told you how much I would be willing to pay for a fish, you'd want to have me committed... LOL

I still will train him to the highest standards and love him as much or more than any grand champion.

Last edited by Yoschi's_Pet_Human; 11-16-2012 at 06:45 PM.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:46 PM   #26 (permalink)

weighed him for the first time since owning him... 35.5lbs.. dob 08/12/12
Old 11-16-2012, 09:49 PM   #27 (permalink)

....it's strange though,,, he pees regularly but doesn't seem to poo much at all..... only three times "THAT I KNOW OF" since being home
Old 11-16-2012, 09:56 PM   #28 (permalink)
Elite Member

What are you feeding him?
Nikitta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 10:16 PM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoschi's_Pet_Human View Post
....it's strange though,,, he pees regularly but doesn't seem to poo much at all..... only three times "THAT I KNOW OF" since being home
royal canine
german shepherd puppy blend
Old 11-19-2012, 10:46 PM   #30 (permalink)

Where in Austin are you? Triple Crown academy is on the outskirts of Austin, but it's probably considered pflugerville/hutto. They have lots of trainers and they do free assessments as well. I took my dog there a couple months ago, when he was probably about 4 months old and we basically just had a discussion about possible training classes/what he saw in my dog. I recommend at least getting the free assessment if nothing else.
FirstTimeGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.