A Question About Gracie - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2012, 05:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default A Question About Gracie

Hi, Everyone,

I'm new to the forum, not exactly new to the GSD, but new to GSD pups and new to a rescue dog that a veterinarian and others swear is a GSD. I'm not so sure about that but only because I've not spent a lot of time around GSD puppies.

A long time ago (a very long time ago), I was a military K-9 handler. I spent many days and nights working with these marvelous animals. But they were all adults. Three years ago, I stumbled upon a gorgeous 6-year-old female in the local dog pound. I took her home and we had her until about six months ago when she became ill and we lost her. Again, an adult GSD.

Now Gracie has come into my life. She is nine months old. My brother-in-law, who is a veterinarian, said her owners presented her to him with an awful case of mange and a request that he euthanize her. He said he would treat her and find her a home, but he wouldn't put her down. My wife saw her and soon Gracie came to live with us.

Gracie looks for all the world to be a GSD -- the markings, the colors, the muzzle, the ears. But she has a body that some people have compared to a coyote. She is rail thin. (I actually had a stranger suggest she was the product of a mating with a coyote, which I seriously doubt.)

I watch her move and my memory says GSD. I watch her lope through our front yard (an acre) and I see a GSD. Then I catch her at a different angle and that skinny little body makes me wonder. I've never seen a GSD -- male or female -- with a body like Gracie's. I have looked at many photos of 9-month-old GSD pups and not one approaches Gracie's level of sleekness.

So, the question: Is this rail thin body indicative of other problems? Or another breed in her genes somewhere? Or do some GSD pups fill out later than I think?

Thanks for any help. Regardless of the answers, Gracie is part of our family now and will remain that way for what we hope will be a long time. We've had her all of two weeks and she has proven herself to be a sweet and very smart dog.
Jim Belshaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2012, 05:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

There are a lot of workline dogs that are built thin and wiry. Why don't you post some pics of her so we can see what you are talking about?
Old 11-03-2012, 05:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I have a tall and lean GSD. She is 27.5 inches tall and no more then 65 pounds, if that. She excels in agility because of her body type. I think it takes a couple years for them to fill out, but I don't foresee mine getting much heavier. She is way to active and I don't know if I think that her filling out will suit her body type I love her just the way she is.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2012, 06:19 PM   #4 (permalink)

can you post a picture of her?? My girlie is long legged and coyote-ish looking, but it's her coloring more than body build..congrats on your new girl, and I'm sorry you lost your other girl

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.