New GSD owner - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2012, 12:21 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper'sgrl View Post
shes very pretty. She looks mostly shepherd to me too..but with the white thrown in there i would suggest maybe mixed with some border collie. I read your other post about her having some wolf in there and highly doubt it. I wouldnt bother doing a DNA test to figure it out because IMO youde be wasting money.
Yeah, I've decided against doing it. I don't think she has any Wolf either..As she gets older I think she is just a straight up German Shepherd. I got to looking at her legs today and noticed that she has this weird brindle/sable coloring that is starting to show up. She also has a red cast to her coat.

I'm thinking that she isn't American GSD.. She appears to be Working line. She doesn't have the extreme sloping back, though when you stack her, she does have a slope.. though not extreme. She is displaying all the traits of the working line, Protective, High energy and doesn't seem to mind cars and people passing by. She's not fearful of loud noises, I skeet shoot occasionally, and shes not affraid of other dogs. Infact if another dog tries to come up to me she will cut them off and keep them from getting petted! I've seen other working line blacks that look nearly identical to her, so I don't think she is mixed. Could be wrong, but I don't think she is.
Attached Thumbnails
New GSD owner-001.jpg   New GSD owner-002.jpg  
Sam_Isaacks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2012, 03:21 PM   #12 (permalink)

Well, I think I've figured out what the "other" element is to my Mischa's background. I was browsing through some pictures of shepherds and came across this particular photo of a GSD, Border collie mix..

VCAS pet of the week: Shelby is a 7-month-old black and white border collie and German shepherd mix Ventura County Star

I thought it was my dog when I first seen her! Definitely a good choice of breeding if thats what her parents owners had intended. Two of the top three of the most intelligent breeds out there.
Old 11-11-2012, 04:50 PM   #13 (permalink)
Banned

Sure could be some BC in there. I was thinking husky. How big is she?
She's beautiful, whichever mix
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012, 07:17 PM   #14 (permalink)

Welcome, she is a beauty.
Bluepearl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012, 07:49 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by msvette2u View Post
Sure could be some BC in there. I was thinking husky. How big is she?
She's beautiful, whichever mix
I'd say she weighs a good 65-70 lbs.. I got to thinking about something after I posted that pic. How does the adoption agency that posted that picture, know that the dog was a Border collie cross? She was reported as being a stray. So that leaves a bit of doubt in my mind.. But hey, who cares? I love her just the same no matter what she is.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:50 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluepearl View Post
Welcome, she is a beauty.
Thanks
Old 11-11-2012, 09:29 PM   #17 (permalink)

Your dog is absolutely gorgeous. I think she might be purebred like you think. Maybe there is border collie but maybe not. A while back I had a conversation with a lab breeder about colors, and believe it or not is is actually very normal to see black labs and brown labs with white chests and feet... and yet they are purebred, not mixes. It doesn't happen all the frequently, but it is still completely normal. Either way, she is gorgeous and looks super happy.
Indrid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012, 09:38 PM   #18 (permalink)

My first thought was husky or some other spitz type dog. Her muzzle is shorter and narrower as well as her dainty feet.
I wouldn't put much faith in a shelter's description of any dog. Whoever is writing the blurb makes the call and they come up with some whacked mixes. They tend to put in breeds most commonly known and those that people will adopt (you'll almost never see Pit bull mentioned in certain areas due to the prejudice, they will be listed as boxer mix every time).
Either way, she is a very pretty girl and looks to be very happy in her new surroundings .

www.coppercreekdvg.com- All Breed Schutzhund Club

Home of Umarek von Hugelblick, my good luck charm!
bocron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 01:18 PM   #19 (permalink)

New GSD owner-008.jpg

starting to think she may have some cat in her lol
Old 11-13-2012, 01:23 PM   #20 (permalink)
Knighted Member

You are sooo in trouble with that one!! She has a very pretty yet mischevious look to her
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.