Hello from New Jersey! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2012, 01:28 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Hello from New Jersey!

Hello Everyone! I am new to this site and new to German Shepherds! I live on my small farm where I ride my horses, run and do light training with my dogs, and my cats... well, I don't make THEM do anything but nap with me!

I wanted to join a site to get breed/ disposition/ training info specific to this breed. From childhood to adulthood I've had or been in the regular company of Samoyeds, labs, lab-pit mix (my Ally), and rottweilers. I had many friends with GSD's and have always admired the breed. My demeanor with my animals is quiet, affectionate but affirmative. I've never had dominance issues with any animal that has lived here, but I realize that each breed is different -- which is why I am here. I am currently training my 2-year old paint, whom I got as an intact yearling. (God help me those were the days). He is now a gelding, and I successfully navigate an 800 lb'er when he feels like being a punk. He is impeccably mannered ... most of the time .

Things have been nice and quiet here on the farm. Last week my friend asked me to network to find a home for a clients' dog. (Ceasar) I am a moderator for a horse board and figured I'd post his info there and on facebook. As I got to hear more about him, I liked him myself; went to see and spend time with him, we had an immediate rapor .... and they brought him here yesterday.

Ceasar is a 3 year old with lovely manners and some training. He has immediately adhered himself to me. He is still quietly getting to know the house and the yard. He is eating and sleeping well. He has NEVER been with other dogs. I have two. There is no aggression or posturing because he is avoiding them like the plague. Both females. Yellow lab pit mix (7) is sweet, sensitive and kind to him. She is usually the alpha, she was here first, and the little bit of pit in her is her sensitive, protective, smart side. She seems empathetic to him. My chocolate is a big doofus bull in a china shop (5) and she is clearly trying to engage him in play (he is not interested) and even bully him a bit. She came second and I wonder if she is trying to assert herself with him. Again, nothing fresh, just pushy. She's like that big-boned brutish tomboy on the playground who doesn't know to close her legs when she sits because she is completely unaware of the skirt her mother has dressed her in. THAT... is Emma. (I don't bother with skirts and bows for that one)

Anyway, this is winded. I have integrated many dogs into my household as I watch dogs for friends and family often for vacations. I've seen this pattern before and am hoping/ expecting that eventually they interact positively.

1. For you experienced GSD LIFER'S out there -- If you could ONLY give ONE piece of advise to a GSD GREENIE... what would that be?

2. For those of you who have/ had several different breeds of dog in your life, what characteristics separate German Shepherds from the others?

Thank you again! Elena & Ceasar
Ceasar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2012, 01:34 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Hello NJ...NJ here too....

One piece of advice for a new GSD owner...i think you need 3 things actually...patience, love, and an amazing sense of humor....

oh...and chew toys chew toys chew toys and an awesome vacuum....

Abbey's Mom
Abbey'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2012, 01:45 PM   #3 (permalink)

EXCELLENT! I'm good then... I have tons of love and patience. Wicked sense of humor... tons of chew toys.... and an Oreck XL. Thank you!
Old 07-30-2012, 01:46 PM   #4 (permalink)

Welcome welcome!!!

The advice that I have is that be ready to continue to have Shepherds in your life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbey'sMom View Post
One piece of advice for a new GSD owner...i think you need 3 things actually...patience, love, and an amazing sense of humor....

oh...and chew toys chew toys chew toys and an awesome vacuum....

Abbey's Mom
Yeah, Abbey's Mom is right, especially on the vacuum.
Jaders is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2012, 01:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Socialization is the key word for a german shepherd.
x0emiroxy0x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2012, 01:55 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thank you. Totally agreed about socialization. I am in a secluded environment here on the farm. Labs are largly social regardless of environment or frequency of opportunity to socialize. I will have to create socialization opportunities for him to become comfortable with.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceasar View Post
Thank you. Totally agreed about socialization. I am in a secluded environment here on the farm. Labs are largly social regardless of environment or frequency of opportunity to socialize. I will have to create socialization opportunities for him to become comfortable with.
You may live on a secluded farm, but it's a secluded farm in NEW JERSEY so you've got tons of place to pack the pup into a car and go socialize. Dog classes are a massive help too.

Hey, I'm just over the river from NJ in the Poconos, I love that there are tons of places to hike AND to socialize. Even if I have a carride in the mix

Did you get a chance to read any of the (click this ---> Welcome to the GSD/FAQ's for the first time owner - German Shepherd Dog Forums ) info?

plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2012, 07:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

They need more mental and physical exercise and stimulation than any other breed I've owned and they need a job. I suggest herding- it's so much fun and satisfies all the requirements
Stosh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2012, 09:05 PM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

What part of NJ are you from? I can give you the info for our herding club, if you're interested in trying it out.
Best advice I can give is to accept the fact that you'll be hooked on GSD's for life And giving the dog a job is also very important.

Kira von Wolfstraum HGH
PAM ARCH SG Kessy vom Waldwinkel 2xHGH Schh1 OB2 RL1X RL3 RN TT AD
Djenga von Castra Regina RL2 BH HIC TT
Madina vom Arolser Holz BH AD CGC
The JRT's: ARCHX Gizmo TT RL1X RL2X RL3 & Cricket RL2
phgsd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2012, 09:37 PM   #10 (permalink)

Ok... This is all very helpful.

He's been with me 24 hours. Yesterday into today I just let him veg. HUGE change in his life. This afternoon we practiced some of the commands he already knows. I have already been thinking of our regular activities and jobs. He is very different. My other dogs are happy to be with each other although they love to be with me. HE on the other hand, wants ONLY to be with me. This one might be the one who goes with me everywhere except into the classroom.

Tomorrow I am going to take him off property for a walk/ run and see how he does out in the GEN POP.

I am going to start taking him out to the barn with me when I feed the horses.

For my labs, their "job" is to run with me and we practice light drills, commands etc... routinely.

What kind of jobs do you all have for yours? Just to give me an idea if I have to come up with some additional, different, longer duration jobs for him.

Is it possible to train him to accompany when I go on trail rides with my horses? Is that a feasible job?

I have to research the concepts of herding that were mentioned. I know what agility is.

I am in the Pine Barrens Southern Central NJ. In the woods, close to the beach, etc...

Thank you. This is all very helpful. I want to do right by him and give him all that he needs.

Elena & Ceasar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.