Hi I am a new member here and a New GSD owner. - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2012, 09:12 PM   #11 (permalink)

Default We have had our second opinion

The Breeder has paid to have Shadoe seen by another Vet, and they found the same thing, the vet said that it seems to be a defect in a valve. So she has suggested a ultrasound to see for sure. Our Breeder said she will pay for this also, they have been very good at helping us find the answers. We love him to much to give him up, but we do want to know what were up against. for the time being, we need to go ahead and let him play, but when he rest we need to let him rest and not force play or walking..etc.. which we were doing anyways. we go in a couple weeks to get the ultrasound.
Shadoesmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2012, 09:27 PM   #12 (permalink)
Elite Member

Oh I'm so sorry that your poor puppy is having these problems. Sounds like you have a great breeder though. I hope it works out for you and you end up with a great healthy puppy. German shepherds are such great dogs! I've owned them for years and welcome here. These are great people.
Nikitta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2012, 09:37 PM   #13 (permalink)

I understand completely your concern.. I could never return Nala if something where wrong. Hope this works out for you.

Last edited by m1953; 07-28-2012 at 09:40 PM.
m1953 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2012, 10:36 PM   #14 (permalink)

How loud was the murmur? A scale 1-6? Was there a thrill? Our previous GSD had a 5 heart murmur with a thrill at 3 months old. The vet was really concern and got him the ultrasound right away. We were told that he needed to get an open heart surgery. We were in the same situation that you are now. We just took him home for a week and already fell in love. The surgery was going to cost $3,000. We decided to go ahead with it because we couldn't stand replacing him or losing him. We sure glad we did. He lived to be 9 years old. Good luck with your puppy. It is fixable and he'll be as good as new!

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free
Karo4410 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 02:36 PM   #15 (permalink)

Default Update

Well we still don't have many answers to our Questions about Shadoe's Heart murmur. We had taken him to two vets and they both heard the murmur. They did not say what scale it is. A third vet told us that sometimes it can take 9 months for these to close. He reccomended us to wait about an Ultrasound until he is 9 months and have him revaluated. Ok since we don't have a lot of money and we are still trying to pay off what we owe for when our Min Pin Bandit passed, we decided to wait. Our breeder decided instead of paying for his vet visits she would just let us have him, {we were making payments on him} instead of continueing making payments. He is now 8 months old, he is growing normally, but he does seem to get winded fast, and it takes him about a few minutes to recover, he pants real heavy most the time he is up and moving. we did take him to obeience class and he did good in that class, well except for the fact he pulls still on the leash and he had to finish out his last two class times in private, because he started getting disruptive with the other dogs. The last class he had he seemed to be panting even harder and the instructer thought his tongue looked kinda of purple. I have since seen it a darker pink with a light light bluish tint to his tongue a couple of times. I am planning on taking him to the vet next week, don't want to wait till he is nine months. We love him so, I am hoping he will not have to have surgery, we can not afford that.

Waiting at the Rainbow Bridge.
Bandit 01/16/2002 - 07/30/2012 We miss you so much.
Shadoesmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 02:44 PM   #16 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I am so sorry you still don't have any real answers about Shadoe. Has he been seen by a cardiologist? I think that would be the best bet.
Stevenzachsmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 12:46 PM   #17 (permalink)

Do you have pet insurance by chance? That was what we' d wished we had at the time. We didn't have the extra money either but I thought I'd give it a shot. I ended up selling numbers of personal items to cover the cost (I'm not suggesting you should do the same, just sharing my experience). I'm so sorry you have to go though this with your puppy. It is so hard because you love them so. I wish you the best of luck with Shadoe.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com App
Karo4410 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.