German Shepherds Forum banner

Shepherds for the long-haul.

1K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  hobocasual 
#1 ·
Hi everyone, I'm Keith. I can't tell you how long I've been waiting to join this site. My first memory is playing with my Reject. My mom used to train horses for the Boston P.D in the late 80's, and while out in the woods one day she found a basket full of GSD puppies with their dead mama. She buried the mom and took the puppies home, finding homes for all except one goofy boy, hence Reject. I was born when he was 1, and I still hear stories how he would guard my crib from anyone except my mom. He never left my side growing up and I'll never forget him. At 6 years his hip went out, after surgery his other hip went, and my mom had to put him down. I still get choked up about it. He was my guardian and my bestfriend.

Despite continious requests for a GSD my entire life, my family preferred Springer Spaniels. Ugh. Not my ideal companion. I've also had a Boxer, and a Boston Terrier, but always knew what kind of dog I needed. Last week my girlfriend and I visited our local animal shelter, and fell in love. Brownie is 10 and apparently was a family dog until the family lost their home and gave her up for adoption. This broke our hearts, and with some sweet-talking she came home with us on tuesday. She has been amazing despite some predatory behavior towards my girlfriends cat so the two are seperated, and we are taking steps to socialize them but I am in no rush. The only complaint I have is in the realm of affection. She obeys my commands, is very good on walks ( we had an unpleasent confrontation with a territorial jack russell, and a nippy cockerspaniel. She responded instantly to me, and we calmly walked away. I feed her twice a day, I take her on a few 10-15 min walks or light jogs. We've encountered birds, bunnies, and boys throwing balls and she stays focused. I am consistent and confident with her, but my girlfriend gets 70% of her affection. I'm trying to identify any of my behaviors that caused this. Melissa was the one to pick her up from the shelter, and spent two whole days with her while I've had to work. I just want to get some tips on how to shorten the delay between dog kisses and a wiggly tail. She is a very mellow girl so I don't expect puppy love, but I see what I'm missing out on when Melissa comes home. It has only been four days too, so maybe she just needs time. Any advice would be appreciated!! I expect to be here for a very long time, since I can't see myself with any other breed.

See less See more
#3 ·
Welcome to the forum and thank you thank you thank you for saving a senior.

Yes, it's going to take her some more time before she begins to feel affectionate towards you and your girlfriend. She probably lived with her other family for her entire 10-year life and is grieving their loss. Right now she doesn't know who your girlfriend and you are and why she is with you. Continue to treat her with kindness and patience and you will be rewarded with a loving German Shepherd.

#4 ·
Its an honor to have this dog, and I dont mind if it sounds corny..she is perfect..minus the cat chomp.
When Melissas home, Brownie is infatuated with her. Follows her around and will lay outside the door amd wait for her to return. If I call her over she'll come over for a moment and then return to waiting. It's not that she ignores any of my commands, I'm just worried she picked her, because well I'm the one who takes care of her. All Melissa has to do is talk sweet to her and shes all wags and kisses :\ Ill give it some time, we're alone all day tomorrow so hopefully I get some love. Were going on some nature walks Sunday, so Ill put up some good pics if I can figure it out

#7 ·
Dogs are like kids, you can't force, rush or bribe their feelings toward you. Well ... you can bribe with treats but that lasts until the treats are gone. Give her time to settle into her new life and she will be all and much more loving than what you think your are missing out on now.

#8 ·
LOL, you sound like my husband. Riley is technically HIS dog but Riley chose me. Shasta is my dog and makes it clear she's chosen me. Even the cats have chosen me. BUT i also provide all the food, training and handling. my husband is just kinda here. They all do pick their favorite and in your case, it sounds like despite doing the providing, your new "pup" has chosen her person. Good luck!

#10 ·
To be honest I feel so much better knowing my girlfriends safe at home. We live next to an unpleasent town. I'm not really worried about the affection thing today, she warms up to me more everyday. I was kidding about the treats, I'm not one to force myself on her. After our morning jog she's been glued to me tho, so I'm happy.

She isn't much for fetch, or sticks or anything but she has plenty of energy to burn, any tips? I can go on more runs but I'd rather give her something fun to do..

#11 ·
If she is enthusiastic about eating her kibble- you can feed her in a variety of ways instead of just out of a bowl. I hide kibble in a big cardboard box with wads of newspaper on it so my dog has to search through the box. I have different toys that you can fill with kibble so your dog has to work to get it out. I make trails around the house or hide little piles of kibble. None of these are physically exhausting but they mentally tire your dog out. Learning new tricks and going to new places have the same effect.

I run with my dog, play tug, and throw his ball up and down the stairs- but I don't know if you want to do anything really physically demanding with an older dog.

Last thing- mine will entertain himself for hours during summer in a kiddy pool. You could put non-slip mats in the bottom first to prevent slipping.

#13 ·
Welcome and congratulations on finding this wonderful dog.

I am thinking that living with her former family, the woman was her person, so naturally she gravitated to your girlfriend.

A wonderful, fun toy is the Bobalot. Provides lots and lots of amusement, both for the dog and the human watching.
Bob-A-Lot Multi Chambered Interactive Dog Toy

One way to bond with your dog is to hand feed her, if you are the one feeding. Ditch the bowl and go for it.

Would love to see pics, and can't wait for more posts.

#14 ·
Try dropping super delicious treats as you walk by her without saying anything or even looking at her. She'll figure out you're the cool guy with the treats before long. You can also try tethering her to you for a few days, having her go everywhere with you without giving her any commands. But I would give it a while, she's had a lot to adjust to. Thank you so much for giving her such a wonderful home

#15 ·
Thanks for giving Brownie home. Seniors are different then young dogs and its wonderful you and your g/f chose Brownie. Im primary caretaker w/ ours but hands down Daisy is my husbands. Brownie might have come from a home where the femaleswere the ones who she gave affection to. Im thinking the suggestions given and time will have your girl bonding w/ you .

#16 ·
We've met more people, and she is deff. more about the ladies in general. She got some pig ears for being a super good girl in the tub. I really appreciate the advice everyone, this forum is awesome. As I'n writing this Brownies staring at the bedroom door, but now at least she sits next to me while doing it! Lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.