German Shepherds Forum banner

A big hello from Ireland....

451 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Lyonzy 
#1 ·
Hi everyone. I am in the process of trying to turn my fiancée's opinion on dogs around. My friend's German Shepherd just had 8 pups, 7 mostly black with a bit of tan and one pure white. Both parents are purebred and are beautiful and have a very good temperament. I never had a GSD myself but am hoping to change my Fiancées answer from, not a hope to a yes. I am convinced i will take the dog whatever the answer, as i know she will grow to love the dog as she never had a dog herself and doesnt understand. So for me Im Still living at home and we have a Labrador about 13years old and another which is a mix between a Pug and Chihuahua aged 3 . Have loved German Shepherds for quite some time now and am hoping this may be the time i have been waiting for. Have one or two questions but will put them up in an other thread. Look forward to getting to know ye all and say a prayer that opinions change. :crazy:

#3 ·
I definitly would not bring a dog into my home if my partner didn't want one. If she doesn't want a dog, you should respect her wishes, everyone needs to be on board when bringing any animal into a home. It would not only be her suffering, the dog would suffer too.

You should sit down with her and tell her the reasons why you want a dog and listen to the reasons why she doesn't want a dog. See if you both can come to an agreement.

If she doesn't change her mind and isn't on board, then you should sit down and decide if you would rather stay with your fiancee and be dogless or choose to walk away from her and get a dog.

I personally would not date or marry someone that doesn't like dogs, but that is because my dog means everything to me.

#4 ·
Hello and Welcome, maybe if you take your fiancee around the puppies when they are a little older she will fall in love with them, afterall who can resist those cute little faces. Yes they do shed alot, and they do grow up and get to be big, but they can also be your best friend and will love you for as long as they live. Good luck on your decision you know your girl better than we do. :greet:

#5 ·
There is a fair chance i wont get the puppy at all...this is for the future i am talking about aswell.... and her reservations are she doesnt like dogs full stop. Now a dog in the next year or two is not ruled out by no means, but i feel in love with this pup ive been visiting the last 2weeks. Now dont get me wrong i know exactly how much work is involved with a big dog, and im under no illusion. We have had many bigs dogs in the family down the last twenty years. We are getting married next year so thats when the challenge to sway her opinion is going to be toughest. We are at stalemate really and its a dilemma.......

#6 ·
oh and its nice to meet ye all, and thanks for all the advice so far... oh anyone that had trouble persuading his or her partner in the past, all ideas welcome. she has seen the puppies last week and that nearly converted her...

thanks again....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.