German Shepherds Forum banner

Zona from Minnesota

1K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  Niexist 
#1 ·
Hello all..

I have a 1 year old female GS, her name is Arizona, Zona for short. She has become very protective when people come to our home. Especially teenagers, she jumps and bites at their arms or if they turn their back, she will also bite at their back. I now put a prong collar on her and have her sit. I tell the person to "come in" and she seems to not care if she chokes herself trying to get at them. I remain calm yet assertive with her. I might get a muzzel next. I know I have to correct this problem immediately. Any suggestions for me? Help, should I put her in boot camp? I really am hoping I can correct this myself.

Amy & Zona

#3 ·
I would also recommend a trainer. In the meatime,
practice NILIF with Zona. Prong collars can ramp up reactive dogs, I wouldn't use one in this instance. I don't know if I would use a muzzle, either...it will make her feel vulnerable. But if you fear she will bite, then condition her to a wire basket muzzle in short increments and don't do it when company is over for her first exposure to it. A mesh or nylon muzzle won't let the dog pant, so they can overheat if left on for extended periods.

Is she food motivated? Will she take treats when she gets into the mode of reacting to people? I would bring her attention back to you(use a no-slip collar) and make all experiences around people a good one. Give her a treat when she looks at you and mark it(clickers are best, because tone of voice changes when we get stressed) The people can toss her treats, too...but I'd rather have the dog look to me first when reconditioning this behavior.
If you correct her when she reacts, she'll see the correction as coming from what she is reacting to. Stop the behaviors before they begin so re-directing is a better solution.
The book Control Unleashed by Leslie McDevitt has exercises to help reactive dogs. I would get a copy and follow the exercise in the book.

#4 ·
How much socialization did you do with her? Have you taken any obedience classes?

#5 ·
Thank you for the responses. Since I am new at posting here, I am probably on the wrong thread. Sorry. I do have her signed up for classes 4/16. Until then, I did get a muzzel and associated it with a treat. I do like the NILF program. I am starting it as of now.:)

#6 ·
You got a basket muzzle? Remember the mesh or nylon ones will overheat the dog if left on for more than a short time(they cannot pant, drink in a mesh one either) Make sure you have it fitted properly too, Onyx has knocked hers off now and then.

#8 ·
Neuman K9 Academy or Allbreednorth are two really nice board and train facilities in MN that can fix that issue as well as our basic to offleash obedience on the dog. I know and would vouch for either trainer. People aren't gonna be able to help you fix this issue over the Internet. NILF isn't going to help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.