Teaching Stay - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2008, 11:09 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Teaching Stay

I am having a problem teaching CJ to stay. Any suggestions. I tried yesterday with a piece of ham which I was trying to put into his dish without being pounced. He would sit over and over but as soon as I made any movement he was up. What I don't understand is that he sits and stays at the gate to the yard while we go in and out without much problem.
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2008, 11:24 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Teaching Stay

we had good success with clicker training teaching Bogart to stay, in the beginning I kept him on the leash. We would sit him , then teach sit stay first without me moving. Then I'd take one step backwards, if he didn't move click and treat, for one second, three seconds, 5 seconds. Then two steps back, stay for two seconds, four seconds, gradually getting longer. We just did it in baby steps, but it worked, at 6 months, he has no problem sit staying for a full 5 minutes...and I no longer use the clicker, just found it a good training tool when he is learning something new. When he hear's the click he knows he got it right

"He/she is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
Sasha2008 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2008, 11:28 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thank you. I'll have to get a new clicker, CJ chewed the last one.
Old 07-28-2008, 11:50 AM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I taught Elmo while giving Elmo his meals. I put him in a sit before putting his bowl down. Then, I said Stay. If he moved, I picked up the bowl. Then, I made him sit again and repeated the exercise. He learned stay very quickly. Then, I applied it in other situations like when I was going to open the door to let them out. If he moved, I shut the door.
Elmo's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2008, 01:20 PM   #5 (permalink)

I introduced the stay to Heidi before she was 6 months old, but didn't have any expectations that she would "get it" until she was older. How old is CJ?

What I would do is put her in a sit then treat. Put her in a down, then treat. Then, after I said "good down", I would say "stay" and continuously toss my training treats between her front legs. As long as I was tossing treats, she had no reason to get up. I would do this for just a few minutes each session.

Again, at that young age, it was simply an introduction. I've heard trainers say that the "stay" isn't expected until they get a bit older.
R&B's Pistol Packin Buddy, Labrador Retriever - DOB 2/17/99
Lil' Bruder, German Shepherd - Rescued 9/30/08 - DOB Wild Guess 11/07
Heidibu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2008, 01:54 PM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

Both of my boys learned stay before six months old, and we did it the same way bsinghVA did it. Through meals, then applying it to everyday training. Everytime they get the stay, trying having them stay five seconds longer.

Max, Champ, and Apollo waiting at the bridge.
GSDOwner2008 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2008, 08:09 AM   #7 (permalink)

Bailey is getting better at stay every day. We started after he had learned "down" and "come". I'd just put him in a "down" and say "stay", then back up a few steps and say "come" to release him, then treat him. When we started working on longer stays we would use two people. One would hold him in "down" while the other walked away. We did this all indoors on a casual basis until we were confident that he understood the idea of "stay". Now we practice it outdoors with him every night; we're at the point that we can turn away from him, walk 10+ paces, turn and face him and have a "face off" for up to 30 seconds before we say "come".

Bailey often takes three tries to get the stay right. First he doesn't stay at all, so we turn around and make a funny "muh-muh" buzzer sound to let him know he got it wrong. The second try he'll stay but as soon as we turn around and face him he'll come - he's trying to anticipate what we want instead of focusing on our commands. The third time is a charm and he'll stay until we tell him "come" - and he gets his treat and lots of praise.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:37 AM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

delicat, make sure you don't always call him to come from stay but return to him and praise and go away and return again and release. Otherwise he will always be unticipating a 'come' command anytime you put him in a stay.
Old 07-30-2008, 12:45 PM   #9 (permalink)

My thought too GSD07. I was coached to always return to the dog that was placed in a stay, then release when ready. "OK" is my release word. It might be confusing to use the word Come as the release.
R&B's Pistol Packin Buddy, Labrador Retriever - DOB 2/17/99
Lil' Bruder, German Shepherd - Rescued 9/30/08 - DOB Wild Guess 11/07
Heidibu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2011, 12:59 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSD07 View Post
delicat, make sure you don't always call him to come from stay but return to him and praise and go away and return again and release. Otherwise he will always be unticipating a 'come' command anytime you put him in a stay.
Good advice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.