German Shepherds Forum banner

My GSD does not like to be spooned

4K views 18 replies 15 participants last post by  wolfy dog 
#1 ·
But I want to spoon her!

When she was a pup she would gladly spoon with me as we drift to sleep. However, now my 6 month old would rather dig the bed or lay stretching on the other side of the bed or jump on top of me instead of spooning with me as we sleep :crying:

How do I teach her spooning with me is the best thing ever?

#3 · (Edited)
My pup despite liking being near me is not super into physical affection and I suspect I would deprive myself first before managing depriving her lol. What I have been doing right now is to whine in bed >:) whenever my pup moves too far away for me to reach her so that she would come back to check on me and I would be able to cuddle with her again. But now she is getting resistant to my whining lol.

I of course won't force it, but I hope I can get more cuddling!:grin2:

#6 ·
:surprise:

GSDs aren't lap dogs!?!?!?

I need to have a TALK with Mako then... the lying little whelp...
@JaydeY

Some dogs just aren't cuddlers. My GSD is a super snuggle bunny. I'm talking forceful cuddles. Like he is trying to meld with my soul through the cuddles. I've also had one on the other end of the spectrum that did not like to be petted at ALL though.

Nothing you can really do to train the dog to like it. But your pup is young. I've heard of some aloof pups becoming cuddle monsters as the got older. And vice versa. They go through their phases.

#8 ·
OP, I recommend that you take some time to read Patricia McConnell's class book on dog behavior, The Other End of the Leash. It does a wonderful job of helping to bridge the understanding gap between our primate brain's perception of body language and touch, and the canine brain's. I have a hunch if you take the time to read this wonderful book, you'll have fresh perspective on the answer to your question.

#10 ·
Well my GSD sadly isn't cuddly. Since I'm a very tactile person, that's not easy. We compromise, he tolerates my hugs and I respect his space the rest of the time.

As to the bed, it could be a couple of things. 1. Your dog isn't cuddly right now, but as it matures it may become more so. Varik didn't want ANY affection (too busy) until he was at least 6 months old. Even then--and now--he usually only solicits butt scratches. 2. Your dog doesn't care for it and won't ever really enjoy it. 3. It's too hot for cuddling. I know my GSD gets warm easily and often shifts from spot to spot.

#11 ·
My first GSD didn't like to cuddle or be pet much. Even as a puppy, I would pet or snuggle up to her and she would get up and move to the other side of the room.

But now I have one who just cuddles me so hard. He just presses his face into mine and cuddles me so hard. He even puts his 'arm' around me and lays on top of me.

And then I have another one who likes to curl up next to me and even rest her head on my lap or arm but if you start petting her too much then she leaves.

It's an individual dog thing and I don't think you can make them want it!

#12 ·
My GSD isn't very cuddly but on the rare occasions when he hops up in bed and curls up or stretches out next to me, it's all the more special. Nobody likes to be forced into physical contact. She might start to resent you for your "advances"... looking away and becoming stiff/tense are clear signs that you need to back off. cuddling is not the same to dogs vs humans, or between dogs. Respect her space.

#14 ·
Inga likes her shoulder stroked, then she goes in her crate. I would not have her in my bed anyway. Enough hair comes off that dog each week to make a whole nuther dog.

#17 ·
Luna is a complete snuggle bug. When Max was a pup he would cuddle for a short time them move. His cuddle time has extended and be will often try to jump in my spot before I do to get the pillow.. We like it cool In the room so does he. Most of the time they move is because gsds do get hot with their thick fur.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.