German Shepherds Forum banner

Halt when being recalled

1K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  dogma13 
#1 ·
Do you have any tips on getting my dog to halt when he is coming back to me when called? I can get Wylie (almost 4 years old) to stop running towards me at about 30 feet away, but them he creeps forward step by step. He REALLY wants to get close. :grin2:

#2 ·
Is this for formal competition? I usually give the down command and he downs. I can say "stay" and he stops moving. Or I says sit, and he stops moving and sits.

I think if the dog knows his commands and knows there are repercussions for not following them, he will do as you command.

#3 ·
Start closer to him at first,just a few feet away.Add distance gradually.It's hard for them when they really just want to come to you:)Don't forget to praise the heck out of him every time!
Another thing that helps is to teach a moving down or stand as he's heeling.It acclimates them to stop quickly.Have fun!

#5 ·
This worked for Deja perfectly. I just call her name and she comes for that always, then I tell her "Down" or "Sit" when she is on her way to me at an unpredictable distance. I use "Here!" for the recall and never stop her then as I want her solid on this everytime.

#7 ·
Denise Fenzi has the philosophy of "what's more than...?" What's more than stopping when cued to in a recall? Backing up. When you cue the halt, have him back up a few steps. He can't creep forward if he's going backwards.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.