German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   How do I (teach my dog to)? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/how-do-i-teach-my-dog/)
-   -   How do I get my dog to.. (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/how-do-i-teach-my-dog/485794-how-do-i-get-my-dog.html)

Kayla1403 09-04-2014 07:06 PM

How do I get my dog to..

Hello I just wondered if anyone can help me with introducing my dog to my two cats?

As right now the situation is not good as they live outside most of the time won't come in being to cautious of the dog and when I do bring in they don't seem to feel to comfortable

So to try help change this I have tried putting one of my cats being the eldest one in his cat carrier (he has lived with a dog before and was fine but my dog before was a small dog being a King Charles) so picked my eldest cat for that reason and not my other cat because she's never lived with a dog before and also very timid.

So to start off with I tried to introduce the cat aka my eldest one by putting his cat carrier box in the middle of the floor and then bringing the dog in so they can see each other when she approaches the carrier and is looking like she's behaving the cat growls and hisses then the dog wants to instantly run and bark I then spray the dog with water telling it "No" and the dog does back off and lays down however I am not sure if this this the best way to go about this i have never had to introduce cat to dog before like this. As when I got my cat originally he was a tiny kitten and the dog wasn't that bad with him as the kitten was able to walk about the living room would hiss and spit but the dog never attacked him.

So thinking for introducing a big dog like a GSD must be different so if anyone can help me with any advise I'd appreciate it greatly.

Mary Beth 09-04-2014 09:22 PM

I would try putting up a dog gate that has the small opening for a cat. Block off one room so only the cats can go there. And put their litter boxes, food, water, toys, beds there. I would also keep the dog on his leash. If he tries to charge the gate, pull him back into the sit position - redirect him with his own squeaky toy. Make it squeak, and praise him for taking it - say this is your's. With time, the cats will feel more secure and being naturally curious will come closer to the gate to watch the dog. As they see that the dog isn't allowed to charge at them but is quiet, they will start to use the small door opening. Also spend time alone with your cats so they don't feel neglected. It will take time and patience.

Kayla1403 09-05-2014 06:45 PM

Hi Mary beth thank you for your reply it was appreciated. And i will look into dog gates and give the dog gate a go as i am willing to try anything to try get my cats in the house and for both to tolerate each other and be comfortable to come in the house.

As i really cant go on like this plus i miss the cats being around and sad for them also as said previously they live outside during the day and sometimes at night as i can get them to come in the house but i have to either catch them or use food to get them to come over to me or my cat skye he comes to my bed room window to be let in but my other cat is nightmare to get in shes so timid.

And i think my neighbours must think am a bit crazy sometimes going outside to feed 2 cats and having one at my window and the other next door or sitting on the fence lol anyway fingers crossed and hope i can turn everything around get them in and not be defeated by a dog lol.

Ps just to let u know I have a white Shepard female called kayla hence my username just over a year old will be 2 in march. Shes a lovely dog and very cleaver and one of her tricks she does is she can open any door in the house so sometimes this is bad cos i have to lock doors so total master of Escape if given the chance lol

Mary Beth 09-05-2014 09:15 PM

I had a cat when my Sting was pup. She was elderly and very gentle. I was very careful with Sting. He slept in his crate the first year. Even though I also kept him on a leash when inside so I could stop him from chasing the cat, the cat did spend alot of time downstairs in the basement where I fixed up a space for her. But as Sting quieted down, she started to come up. At night, she waited until he was in his crate which he also slept in the first year, before she jumped up on the bed. So it will take time. Your Kayla is a very clever dog to open the doors. And I have always admired the white shepherds.

Kayla1403 09-06-2014 04:14 PM

Hi yes bit to cleaver as she can open the crate door to and escape as when we used to use it for when we went out or for her to sleep in during the night so she not chew things but ended up waste of time ended up getting rid and put it in the garage ( well the one thats intact still) because she wrecked 3 of them as she open the door when you where out or bust out some other way by forcing the door open from the bottom. And yes we tried to restrict her from opening it normally but ended up dog still won hence as i said above forced the door open and it ended dangerous because she bent and split the metal so bad it turned into something which could have hurt her real bad so again the create had to go