German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   How do I (teach my dog to)? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/how-do-i-teach-my-dog/)
-   -   Platz on recall (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/how-do-i-teach-my-dog/485177-platz-recall.html)

MichaelE 09-02-2014 06:34 PM

Platz on recall

I am having a small problem getting Lisl to platz on recall immediately upon giving the command.

She will take anywhere from 3 to 10 steps before she will platz.

She seems to go down faster with a hand signal combined with the verbal command, but I would like her to platz immediately upon the command.

I don't seem to be able to make her understand that she can't come back to me immediately when I say so.

She is great doing a platz while at heel walking or when on the way out to a retrieve she will go down immediately.

If I give her the 'STAY' command while coming back on a recall she will stop and immediately platz without the command.

What have I done wrong?

I taught her to 'STAY' immediately upon command and she will stop like a statue. This was mainly for her safety and not for any obedience requirement.

Did my teaching her to stay upon recall or going outbound get so ingrained into her that I can't get her to platz without giving her the stay command first???

I think I'm as confused as Lisl is.

Hector3 09-02-2014 07:12 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fJ3ZJyXepA

lauren43 09-02-2014 07:56 PM

I could be wrong, but I would think you could use the 'Stay" and simply change the cue. Just using the "Stay" command and saying "Platz" after and eventually phasing out the stay cue.

I'll be interested to see what others say...

MichaelE 09-02-2014 08:09 PM

She seems to be using the dogs name as a 'stop' command and then 'down' if she gets a good stop. A two command process.

I guess that is pretty much the way Lisl has understood what I have taught her using 'stay' instead of her name, and then 'platz' for the down if she doesn't automatically go down.

Hmmm. I might have to think this over awhile.

Zahnburg 09-02-2014 08:31 PM

It is a simple problem; you are lacking pressure for the down. The solution is equally simple; make pressure for the down.

Liesje 09-02-2014 09:05 PM

What Art said, I tend to use pressure with my down command. I feel it's even more important than a solid recall, as there have been "real life" times where it was safer for me to command my dog down (stay implied) from a distance than call him back to me.

MichaelE 09-02-2014 09:09 PM

OK. Got it. Thanks.

lauren43 09-03-2014 04:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zahnburg (Post 5978113)
It is a simple problem; you are lacking pressure for the down. The solution is equally simple; make pressure for the down.

Can someone explain this to me?

Liesje 09-03-2014 09:23 AM

When I train platz I pair a correction with the command, then lots of praise/reward. It's one of the few things that I usually train with -R right from the start. There is some pressure but also release and lots of praise/reward, even my softer tempered dog gets it pretty quick.

Baillif 09-03-2014 11:38 AM

When I teach positions like sit down and stand I teach them with no forward movement. If the dog moves forward even a little the action is wrong. Dogs see downs sits and stands as actions not positions. If you have any doubt of this teach a dog to stand from a down and then put them in a sit and tell them to stand. They'll look at you like you have two heads.

Since it is an action make sure they perform the action exactly as you teach it everytime. When that means no forward movement any cheating forward toward you makes the whole thing wrong.

You need to help the dog out though. When you reward for a down sit or stand from a distance you need to mark the correct movement then come over to the dog to reward otherwise they want to cheat forward to you because that's where the reward is.

Never release a dog into a reward from a distance for positions at a distance. Always go to them or throw the reward back over their head.

Once that happens when you call for a down they stop moving forward and just drop. Same with the down or sit in motion. You never have to teach it as a separate exercise because they know as soon as they hear the command dont move forward anymore.