German Shepherds Forum banner

Ears...And food

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Ace GSD 
#1 ·
Hello, I am new. My question is ... When does the puppy's ears stand up. Fritz's left ear is 90% there, but his right ear is 25%. How long should I wait? BTW, he is 10 weeks, 18.5 lbs. Also, the vet recommended Royal Canin, but I have him on Blue Wildnerness puppy which has more protein. Is more protein too bad for a puppy?
Thanks, Deb

#2 ·
Each dog is different, Delgado's ears were up when I picked him up at 9 weeks and never went down. Some dogs never stand until 6-8 months, some go up and down constantly for the first few months

I wouldn't start even worrying until 6 months, even then you still have a few months where you can tape or glue them to hopefully help

While I'm personally not a fan of Blue, it's a much better choice then RC. As long as the dog is happy and healthy then you found the right food :)

#3 ·
my pups ears were just like your pups at 4 months. 90-20. Also, some of the pups ears go down when they start teething but they'll pop back up. Glucosamine & Chondroitin will help their ears as well. sometimes the supplement is expensive but good quality kibbles contain it already (e.g Orijen LBP & Merrick Grain Free Beef, i know for a fact contain it) I've also read that adding some yogurt to their food will also help. I did this also but I dont know if it played a factor in her ears popping up faster.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.