I need more ideas!! and how to teaching him to hold things and - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2014, 01:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Default I need more ideas!! and how to teaching him to hold things and

OK so in the last few days I have been doing more OB with Titan than usual and realized I have become bored with it.. lol if I'm bored with it, I'm sure he is too.. It's the same stuff over and over again.. nothing new.. well one new thing, that I'm sure is getting old. lol.

Anyways.. I always see videos or pictures of people's dog's holding things in their mouth? Whether it's the "dumbell" for sport or just somethign fun, I think it would be fun to teach Titan but I have absolutely no idea where to start. He won't hold anything in his mouth for more than it takes to bring it to me. Tried to get him to hold one of his toys last night and he wouldn't take it from me. He just wanted me to throw it. If he does take it, he will take it and drop it immediately for me to throw..

Second.. anyone have any fun training activities for us that we can do at home? Currently we do all the basics, sit, down, stay, recall, heel, down mid heel, down mid recall, wait on the way to retrieve, eyes, go around, stand, up, touch, crawl, play dead, and I'm sure I am forgetting something. We do games too, "find it" is a big one. Inside and outside, day and night. "Which hand," is another. I just need more ideas for stuff/training for him... anyone care to share?

EDIT: I forgot to mention that our training sessions are usually toy reward, there is play mixed in too.

Whitney
and
Commander Charly Titan-15 Jan 2010
wyoung2153 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2014, 01:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Take the dog to a Schutzhund club

Not only will you learn new things but you'll be going back and reworking things the dog already knows because suddenly you're now demanding precision and focus
Gib_laut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2014, 01:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

If we had one that was closer than 1.5 hrs.. I so would. I used to train SAR but when I moved it became a 1.5 hr drive and I just can't do that every week.

Whitney
and
Old 08-21-2014, 02:07 PM   #4 (permalink)

Just for some fun Whitney, and in real general terms, you put something in his mouth and you don't exactly take it from his mouth, but you let him release it into your hand. Patiently and calm, put it in his mouth, calmly praise, calmly have him release it. The putting it in his mouth helps show him he has to do it. Reward him calmly as soon as he releases it, move him around to relieve the stress.

Later on you expand it to him being allowed to take it, but you want to spend a lot of time on the initial place and hold. Thats kind of a thumbnail version from part of Ivan B's retrieve.
Steve Strom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2014, 02:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

For the hold I would just stick the item into his mouth and physically hold it shut. The moment he stops fighting immediately mark and reward. Then you slowly add time to him holding still. Then you add being able to take your hands away and him holding it himself. Then you add just saying hold and he bites down on the item without your help.

Break and down into steps. Mark and reward each step.
Gib_laut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2014, 02:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Oh cool. Thank you both! Should I start with a certain object? should I use a toy he loves?

Whitney
and

Last edited by wyoung2153; 08-21-2014 at 02:20 PM.
Old 08-21-2014, 02:28 PM   #7 (permalink)

Not something he loves. Part of showing him he has to is using something he doesnt love. PVC, a dowell, pipe. I got the idea to not correct or hold his mouth closed when he has something in it. I used to, but I saw this and then started looking into the idea:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPRvrBAbqWk

A little pop under the chin if he drops it or later on when I'm actually trying to slip it from his mouth.
Steve Strom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2014, 02:31 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I did basically what Steve explained. But my dog knows the wait command. I would calmly say 'wait' (and used a hand signal) and then when I released him, he dropped the object (it was his toys). I'm not training him for sport - I'm just adding more useless parlor tricks to his resume. We are now working on "Take it to....."
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Lilie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2014, 02:35 PM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

So if he won't take it.. how do I get him to? Last night, he would not even put the toy in his mouth at all. I wonder if it was because I had treats in the other hand..

Whitney
and
Old 08-21-2014, 02:36 PM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilie View Post
I did basically what Steve explained. But my dog knows the wait command. I would calmly say 'wait' (and used a hand signal) and then when I released him, he dropped the object (it was his toys). I'm not training him for sport - I'm just adding more useless parlor tricks to his resume. We are now working on "Take it to....."
That's really all I want. Lol. I just like training him new things. It's fun to see it click!

Whitney
and
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.