not sitting fast enough - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2014, 06:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
Crowned Member
 
lalachka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: queens, nyc
Posts: 3,776
Default not sitting fast enough

how to get him to sit fast and also sometimes he does this slow motion sit and the butt doesn't hit the floor until he's sure he must sit
probably something I did

also, sits stand and down in motion. how's is that taught. is there a diff method other than getting him to sit while I'm walking slow, then faster, then faster

that's what I've been doing and it works most of the time but I have a feeling there's another method to it

I can't watch Ivan's videos for some reason. get errors everywhere. he has some videos on this, right?
lalachka is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-19-2014, 06:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member
 
eddie1976E's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: CT
Posts: 539
Default

The things you bring up are exactly what I'm looking to do with my pup. I can't get him to down when we are walking without me stopping to give the command.
eddie1976E is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2014, 06:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 138
Default

You get speed when the dog is in drive.

You create speed in motion exercises by rewarding the dog the moment it sits or downs. Faster you reward the faster the dog wants to do the command.

Why do you need your pet dog to do commands with speed? I think your goal should be consistency.
Gib_laut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2014, 06:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: ontario -
Posts: 8,988
Default

yes the speed and variety -- I think I noticed this on one of your videos lala -- when the dog sit -- a l m o s t sit , you spring in to action , so the dog is taught to be ready to move again. Common mistake. Sit - and wait count to 15 , next time count to whatever, mix it up , but put some longer sits in. Another thing that happens when you move on too fast is that when you have stopped and the dog is sitting the dog gets fidgety because he has been trained and expects to get going again.
__________________
Carmen

**********

Carmspack
carmspack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2014, 06:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member
 
lalachka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: queens, nyc
Posts: 3,776
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gib_laut View Post
You get speed when the dog is in drive.

You create speed in motion exercises by rewarding the dog the moment it sits or downs. Faster you reward the faster the dog wants to do the command.

Why do you need your pet dog to do commands with speed? I think your goal should be consistency.
so if it's a pet I can wait until he decides to sit? why bother with teaching anything at all if it can be sloppy?

newsflash. sport dogs are pets too. they're just used for their owners' hobbies. or if I teach my dog to lay in bed every day for 17 hours (which is my hobby) then he will become the working dog?


anyway, back to my question which you partly answered
lalachka is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2014, 06:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member
 
lalachka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: queens, nyc
Posts: 3,776
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmspack View Post
yes the speed and variety -- I think I noticed this on one of your videos lala -- when the dog sit -- a l m o s t sit , you spring in to action , so the dog is taught to be ready to move again. Common mistake. Sit - and wait count to 15 , next time count to whatever, mix it up , but put some longer sits in. Another thing that happens when you move on too fast is that when you have stopped and the dog is sitting the dog gets fidgety because he has been trained and expects to get going again.
thank you!!!!! I knew I did this.

I recorded a video this morning for my other thread but it was so horrifying that I decided not to post it. the comments would be like beating on a baby. I cringed watching it myself.
lalachka is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2014, 06:48 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 138
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalachka View Post
so if it's a pet I can wait until he decides to sit? why bother with teaching anything at all if it can be sloppy?

newsflash. sport dogs are pets too. they're just used for their owners' hobbies. or if I teach my dog to lay in bed every day for 17 hours (which is my hobby) then he will become the working dog?


anyway, back to my question which you partly answered
Lol let me repeat my question since you didn't seem to understand it.

Why do you need your pet dog to sit with speed? Your goal should be Consistency.
Gib_laut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2014, 06:50 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: ontario -
Posts: 8,988
Default

you DO want your dog to do things crisply .

sit means you sit quickly and butt on the ground , not poised to spring .

gib laut "Why do you need your pet dog to do commands with speed? "

For the same reason you want a dog to respond to a recall quickly , not 50 feet later. For the same reason when you say "leave it" you want the dog to step away before it has picked up the glass or picked up and swallowed some garbage.

Do it . Do it now.
__________________
Carmen

**********

Carmspack
carmspack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2014, 06:50 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member
 
lalachka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: queens, nyc
Posts: 3,776
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gib_laut View Post
Lol let me repeat my question since you didn't seem to understand it.

Why do you need your pet dog to sit with speed? Your goal should be Consistency.
I don't. I don't need him to do anything at all really. he's almost two and I've been doing perfectly fine with the little training that he has.

I want to learn to train. hobby. besides the bed one. you know?

oh yeah. he sits consistently slow. but consistently sits.
lalachka is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2014, 06:55 PM   #10 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 138
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmspack View Post
"
For the same reason you want a dog to respond to a recall quickly , not 50 feet later. For the same reason when you say "leave it" you want the dog to step away before it has picked up the glass or picked up and swallowed some garbage.

Do it . Do it now.
Either you or I are misunderstanding her reasoning. To me she watches Ivan and his dog and wants that same picture. Sit platz stand platz in rapid succession with speed. Imo that's unrealistic and a little unfair to the dog. Ivans dog has enough drive for two dogs.
Gib_laut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:30 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
PetGuide.com
Basset.net DobermanTalk.com GoldenRetrieverForum.com OurBeagleWorld.com
BoxerForums.com DogForums.com GoPitbull.com PoodleForum.com
BulldogBreeds.com FishForums.com HavaneseForum.com SpoiledMaltese.com
CatForum.com GermanShepherds.com Labradoodle-dogs.net YorkieForum.com
Chihuahua-People.com RetrieverBreeds.com