German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   How do I (teach my dog to)? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/how-do-i-teach-my-dog/)
-   -   not sitting fast enough (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/how-do-i-teach-my-dog/481449-not-sitting-fast-enough.html)

lalachka 08-19-2014 07:07 PM

not sitting fast enough

70 Attachment(s)
how to get him to sit fast and also sometimes he does this slow motion sit and the butt doesn't hit the floor until he's sure he must sit
probably something I did

also, sits stand and down in motion. how's is that taught. is there a diff method other than getting him to sit while I'm walking slow, then faster, then faster

that's what I've been doing and it works most of the time but I have a feeling there's another method to it

I can't watch Ivan's videos for some reason. get errors everywhere. he has some videos on this, right?

eddie1976E 08-19-2014 07:25 PM

The things you bring up are exactly what I'm looking to do with my pup. I can't get him to down when we are walking without me stopping to give the command.

Gib_laut 08-19-2014 07:33 PM

You get speed when the dog is in drive.

You create speed in motion exercises by rewarding the dog the moment it sits or downs. Faster you reward the faster the dog wants to do the command.

Why do you need your pet dog to do commands with speed? I think your goal should be consistency.

carmspack 08-19-2014 07:40 PM

yes the speed and variety -- I think I noticed this on one of your videos lala -- when the dog sit -- a l m o s t sit , you spring in to action , so the dog is taught to be ready to move again. Common mistake. Sit - and wait count to 15 , next time count to whatever, mix it up , but put some longer sits in. Another thing that happens when you move on too fast is that when you have stopped and the dog is sitting the dog gets fidgety because he has been trained and expects to get going again.

lalachka 08-19-2014 07:45 PM

70 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gib_laut (Post 5923849)
You get speed when the dog is in drive.

You create speed in motion exercises by rewarding the dog the moment it sits or downs. Faster you reward the faster the dog wants to do the command.

Why do you need your pet dog to do commands with speed? I think your goal should be consistency.

so if it's a pet I can wait until he decides to sit? why bother with teaching anything at all if it can be sloppy?

newsflash. sport dogs are pets too. they're just used for their owners' hobbies. or if I teach my dog to lay in bed every day for 17 hours (which is my hobby) then he will become the working dog?

anyway, back to my question which you partly answered

lalachka 08-19-2014 07:48 PM

70 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by carmspack (Post 5923881)
yes the speed and variety -- I think I noticed this on one of your videos lala -- when the dog sit -- a l m o s t sit , you spring in to action , so the dog is taught to be ready to move again. Common mistake. Sit - and wait count to 15 , next time count to whatever, mix it up , but put some longer sits in. Another thing that happens when you move on too fast is that when you have stopped and the dog is sitting the dog gets fidgety because he has been trained and expects to get going again.

thank you!!!!! I knew I did this.

I recorded a video this morning for my other thread but it was so horrifying that I decided not to post it. the comments would be like beating on a baby. I cringed watching it myself.

Gib_laut 08-19-2014 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lalachka (Post 5923905)
so if it's a pet I can wait until he decides to sit? why bother with teaching anything at all if it can be sloppy?

newsflash. sport dogs are pets too. they're just used for their owners' hobbies. or if I teach my dog to lay in bed every day for 17 hours (which is my hobby) then he will become the working dog?

anyway, back to my question which you partly answered

Lol let me repeat my question since you didn't seem to understand it.

Why do you need your pet dog to sit with speed? Your goal should be Consistency.

carmspack 08-19-2014 07:50 PM

you DO want your dog to do things crisply .

sit means you sit quickly and butt on the ground , not poised to spring .

gib laut "Why do you need your pet dog to do commands with speed? "

For the same reason you want a dog to respond to a recall quickly , not 50 feet later. For the same reason when you say "leave it" you want the dog to step away before it has picked up the glass or picked up and swallowed some garbage.

Do it . Do it now.

lalachka 08-19-2014 07:50 PM

70 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gib_laut (Post 5923921)
Lol let me repeat my question since you didn't seem to understand it.

Why do you need your pet dog to sit with speed? Your goal should be Consistency.

I don't. I don't need him to do anything at all really. he's almost two and I've been doing perfectly fine with the little training that he has.

I want to learn to train. hobby. besides the bed one. you know?

oh yeah. he sits consistently slow. but consistently sits.

Gib_laut 08-19-2014 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carmspack (Post 5923929)
"
For the same reason you want a dog to respond to a recall quickly , not 50 feet later. For the same reason when you say "leave it" you want the dog to step away before it has picked up the glass or picked up and swallowed some garbage.

Do it . Do it now.

Either you or I are misunderstanding her reasoning. To me she watches Ivan and his dog and wants that same picture. Sit platz stand platz in rapid succession with speed. Imo that's unrealistic and a little unfair to the dog. Ivans dog has enough drive for two dogs.