Counter surfing - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2014, 04:22 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Counter surfing

As I've mentioned, Zeus is still adjusting to a house with rules. One of his worst habits is jumping up on the counter, (and the couch, and chewing up headphones which I need to remember to leave out of his reach but that is a separate issue) So I try and leave the counter as clear as I can to discourage him from doing it. I'm told that eventually when he stops being rewarded by finding things to chew on and eat he will stop doing this. Thing is, about how long a process is this? Should I just keep doing what I'm doing or are there things to help the process along? I do have some of the keep off spray but it is horrible, I don't really want it on the counters. I could keep him away from the counters if I really needed to, but eventually would like it to not be an issue.
RIP Elsa, Terrie, & Duke. Forever in my heart.
spiascik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2014, 05:53 PM   #2 (permalink)

Is there anyway to block his access to the kitchen?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
lauren43 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2014, 07:10 PM   #3 (permalink)

Question

He has already improved, for the most part he is good about not doing it when we are home. It was obvious that he was never told to not do this before. It is when we are away that he does it now.

We tried a dog gate. He climbs over it. I would try crate training, but my boyfriend is very much against it. See his sister had a dog that was crate trained and it ended up losing most of its teeth trying to get out of the crate. So that's not really an option. I tried soda cans, but he chewed one up. Didn't eat any of it, but I don't want to risk that happening again. I was searching around for some ideas and found this .... Counter Surfing and Garbage Raiding | ASPCA
Old 07-06-2014, 08:06 PM   #4 (permalink)

Lots of mouse traps works well for this issue Imo it is the best because there is no connection between the correction and the person They work in the fridge when it figgures out how the door works
canyadoit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2014, 08:37 PM   #5 (permalink)

I saw that in the article from the ASPCA. They had a "snappy trainer" like a hand that slips onto the mousetrap. That could work, I'm still worried he would end up chewing it.... lol Gotta love teething.

Thank you very much canyadoit!
Old 07-06-2014, 09:48 PM   #6 (permalink)

Spiascik your are most welcome I had no idea a article was written on this Will have to read it Thanks
Some times they chew the traps Put them far enough back so he can not see them The idea is the counter fridge garbage can bites them
Had a duchie that would pick them out of the garbage She was good at that till I started with the rubbing alcohol on the traps
They do work some will think it's cruel
My male at one time figured out the fridge That was a mess everything was sampled The fridge was loaded with the traps The next day when I got home rhe fridge was open no mess to clean up To this day I can leave the fridge open and he will not go near the inside of the fridge That was eight months ago He also loved clearing the counter Same method same results
Old 07-06-2014, 10:07 PM   #7 (permalink)

The fridge?! Oh no!!! That must have been quite a surprise! lol And quite the intelligent boy you have there.

I tried something similar to this just now https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoMhen5V9ig I used smaller tupperware containers full of coins. He did it once and now is just staring at the food wondering what happened. I did find a couple of traps downstairs. He seems too wary of them at the moment, but time will tell.

He is making tremendous progress considering that he came from a house with no rules and was there for the first five months of his life. There are times when we leave for hours and nothing is touched. Other days he rips up the plastic bags and once he got a hold of the paper towels. He is however doing very well walking with a loose leash, sitting until released, and even waiting until released before going outside through a door. I just have to be consistent and keep working on everything, if he keeps improving like he has been he will be a terrific dog!
Old 07-06-2014, 10:20 PM   #8 (permalink)

Have you read culture clash or any clothier's work ? It is all about comunication dog to human human to dog imo
Old 07-06-2014, 11:10 PM   #9 (permalink)

Something else to try A treat ball with 1/3 ration in it One that the dog has to keep busy at to get the kibble out of Keeps them occupied works their brains and possably keeps him out of mischief
Old 07-07-2014, 12:02 AM   #10 (permalink)

We've got a couple of nylabones and a kong ball that has one of those hard treats in it. Keeps him busy most of the time. I will try and find a good treat ball though, that sounds interesting. I try and rotate out the toys we leave him with too so he doesn't get bored. He sprang the coin treat twice tonight. Now he sniffs it and walks away. haha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.