obedience and HD - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2014, 09:35 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default obedience and HD

As we begin our journey with HD, I find myslef wondering about how hard it is on Tego to do sits and downs. He knows what to do but isnt perfect as we still have a bit of puppy ADD going on. Anyways, I feel bad to make him do it repeatedly because it looks hard on him, the getting up and down. Obviously I want him to learn to do it flawlessly but more importantly I want him to learn to stay, which is difficult because it would be easier to teach in a sit-stay or a down-stay rather than him standing up and being able to move around freely.

Anyways, what kind of training ideas did you adopt for your dysplastic dog? He has excellent recall, he hardly leaves my side, but I would like to have basics such as this for when/if we get into any sticky situations.
Contego is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2014, 09:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I would train in very short sessions with very little repetition. For teaching the stand/stay, try putting your hand against his chest, hold your other hand up, and then back up only a little bit while holding a treat in your hand that is up. At first only back up 4 ft. or less - then come back to his and give him the treat. Gradually increase the distance.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.