Training a Dog to Cue for Alarms/Buzzers - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2014, 01:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Default Training a Dog to Cue for Alarms/Buzzers

I've thought about training one of my dogs to come get me when the oven timer goes off. I burn quite a bit of food as I can't hear it go off (severe hearing loss). Any ideas how to go about this? Maybe incorporate an alert for the phone too?

Thought it could be something fun and useful to teach, but I'm not sure how to go about it.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2014, 01:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

No expert here, but maybe combine the timer with a new recall/vocal command (like comign to you and barking)? So teach the recall with a new word, then when that is solid, start adding the buzzer on the timer when you say your recal word, slowly eliminate the word?

No idea, but that might be how I went about it if I didn't go to a trainer or anything.

Whitney
and
Commander Charly Titan-15 Jan 2010
wyoung2153 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2014, 01:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

At night, the very last thing I do is check my emails. Once I turn off my computer, I send all the dogs go to their bed time spots. I give them one last treat. I do this every...single...night.

Now - when the dogs hear the computer shut down (that tone that plays) they all jump up and head to their bed time spots. I don't have to say a word.

I don't see why you can't do the same thing with the stove and/or phone. Set the timer - when it goes off call your pups and reward. Do it several times every day at different times during the day. Soon the timer will go off and they'll come to you for a reward.
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Lilie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2014, 02:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Lilie's idea is great! I wouldn't have thought of doing that, but I bet if they learn to associate that sound with a reward it will work. Dogs are great at making associations, even when we don't want to.

I get up before my husband on work days, and they stay quietly in their crates until after I take a shower and dry my hair. As soon as I shut off the blow dryer they start to whine because they know I'm going to let them out to potty, and then they get breakfast. Obviously they've made an association between the sound of the blow dryer stopping, and FOOD!
Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2014, 02:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Another thought - in the meantime, buy a small timer that you can carry with you to whatever room you're in. Tom does this all the time, he'll start something in the kitchen and then bring the timer into the office while he's on the computer rather than relying on hearing the one in the kitchen.
Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2014, 02:29 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Ok, I can see how I could use these ideas, thanks. Do you think if I were to use a cue word first, then treat at the sound of the alarm for a number of sessions, then gradually stretch out the length of time between cue word and the alarm?
Old 05-27-2014, 02:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassidy's Mom View Post
Another thought - in the meantime, buy a small timer that you can carry with you to whatever room you're in. Tom does this all the time, he'll start something in the kitchen and then bring the timer into the office while he's on the computer rather than relying on hearing the one in the kitchen.
I've used my phone like this so I can see it light up when the alarm goes off and My boss installed flashing lights for my shop phone at work, both work pretty well as long as I'm not distracted by something else. I was just thinking after burning a pizza (again )while watching hockey yesterday, that maybe training my dog to help out would be fun and useful.
Old 05-27-2014, 04:32 PM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I know it can be done. A treat for an alert is part of it. I saw this with my guy at about 1;00 am in the morning I would turn off our DLP TV. It would play a tone when it turned off, Rocky would automatically get up and head to the bedroom??

I was amazed! So I have no doubt it can be done.
Chip18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2014, 06:31 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
Ok, I can see how I could use these ideas, thanks. Do you think if I were to use a cue word first, then treat at the sound of the alarm for a number of sessions, then gradually stretch out the length of time between cue word and the alarm?
If you set your stove for 3 minutes, then left the kitchen (with treats or what ever you use as a reward system hidden) went into another room, where YOU can still hear the stove alarm, and waited. When the alarm sounds, jump up and dance around like it's a big deal. Your pups will come to you all excited (because they think you've lost your mind) and tell them what great dogs they are and treat...and then go set the alarm for 3 minutes. .....

Then repeat.... and repeat....and soon your dogs will jump up excited when they hear the alarm - before you even react. At that time throw a party and treat.

Make it a game - but keep it at a distance where you can still hear the stove and reward for the desired reaction from the dogs.

Then when they are pretty solid at it - set the alarm for 3 minutes - and your watch - and go to a room where YOU can't hear the timer alarm and wait. See if the dogs will still react.

Think along the lines of someone knocking on your door...or your door bell ringing...
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA

Last edited by Lilie; 05-27-2014 at 06:34 PM.
Lilie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2014, 06:41 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Thanks Lilie! I'll try this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.