Am I doing this right? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2014, 02:20 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Am I doing this right?

Am I doing this right? I have, by way of the mighty Frisbee, taught Shadow that 'out' means drop it right now and 'leave it' means walk away, return to me and wait for the release to go back to what you were doing. Yesterday it worked perfectly, barely, but is this the right way to do it? I am also working on redirect by way of teaching her the difference between 'ball', 'stick' and 'frisbee'. and working on impulse control using the same things but making her sit and wait. Is this ok or am I creating a bigger issue?
Yesterday I let her run loose for a minute while we were way up in the mountains, and she did exactly what I feared and took off tracking something. I was able to redirect to her Frisbee and get her back but barely. She won't be loose again until I do more work and get a GPS tracker for her collar, 'Here' is not something she does well which is why we use 'Bring'. Fifty percent with 'here' versus ninety-nine with 'bring', it was a no brainer for me.
Keep in mind that this is a dog that could care less about pleasing me, she is one hundred percent self serving. If what she wants makes me happy that's just a bonus. She is RULED my her nose, absolutely. And she is really good, nothing gets by that nose. How do I teach her to leave a track and return? She will literally do ANYTHING to follow that nose. I don't want to follow some animal for miles until she decides she is done with it, but I don't want to deter the nose either.
Sabis mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2014, 04:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member

Sorry if this sounds mean but I got a funny image of your dog mixed with the fruit loops tucan. I wish I had some advice but Gunther only comes to me in the yard, haven't dared tried taking him off leash to try anything yet.

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you ever tried.
Ellimaybel is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2014, 04:07 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellimaybel View Post
Sorry if this sounds mean but I got a funny image of your dog mixed with the fruit loops tucan. I wish I had some advice but Gunther only comes to me in the yard, haven't dared tried taking him off leash to try anything yet.
Not mean at all! I sing the fruit loops song, while we are walking!
Old 04-30-2014, 05:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

How old is your puppy?

Have you been following these hints/tips? Top Training Expectations for Puppies

And if you are able to start young, our pups WANT to stay near and with us when in a new place hiking.

plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude

Last edited by MaggieRoseLee; 04-30-2014 at 05:27 PM.
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2014, 05:38 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieRoseLee View Post
How old is your puppy?

Have you been following these hints/tips? Top Training Expectations for Puppies

And if you are able to start young, our pups WANT to stay near and with us when in a new place hiking.

GSD GloryB (13 wks) & BrettaLee (5yrs) Wildhaus - Hiking PA the Hogback - YouTube
Shadow is 3.5 years old, I have had her since about 18 days old. And even as a really little pup she was largely unconcerned with my whereabouts. I have a video of her at 4 weeks or so, ignoring me to go exploring. The ONLY thing she cares about is the scent her nose is on, and her Frisbee.
Old 05-02-2014, 03:01 PM   #6 (permalink)

Is this the same as all the other GSD forums? If I can't trace her pedigree for a hundred years she must be no good? Or I can have one rescue as long as I have one from an approved breeder as well?

All I asked for was some simple advice on how to control a scent-driven dog, some guidance on whether or not I was doing it right. I don't honestly know why I bother. Every GSD club, forum or page I have ever been near is the same.

Sabi was the greatest dog I ever met, loosing her has left a hole in my heart that will never heal. And now I have no way to communicate with Shadow. I am trying to do right by Shadow, and all I asked for was some guidance. I know she isn't the best dog around, I get that she isn't normal, but I love dogs, ALL dogs, not just the ones that are 'worthy'.

I have spent 3 years trying to give this dog the best life I can, and I will do that for the rest of her life. It would be easier with help, but I got this far alone.

Enjoy your forum.
Old 05-02-2014, 03:47 PM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

Where did that come from ????

Whoa...................

SuperG
SuperG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2014, 03:52 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperG View Post
Where did that come from ????

Whoa...................

SuperG
Seriously, OP, what?
Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
DJEtzel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2014, 04:04 PM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

I avoided commenting on this because I figured all the replies would be either 1. if she doesn't come back don't let her off leash, or 2. Start correcting her when she doesn't come back to teach her that it's not an option to keep sniffing until you give her the release word to do so

My dog was similar. She's super independent but we established recall is not optional and she comes every single time.
Old 05-02-2014, 04:25 PM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I'm almost wondering if the OP didn't get responses quick enough and thought they were being ignored...

Whitney
and
Commander Charly Titan-15 Jan 2010
wyoung2153 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.