German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   How do I (teach my dog to)? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/how-do-i-teach-my-dog/)
-   -   Teaching a pup to use a dog door? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/how-do-i-teach-my-dog/431929-teaching-pup-use-dog-door.html)

nktigger99 03-31-2014 01:48 PM

Teaching a pup to use a dog door?

Trying to teach Abby to use our dog door.....she will not even try to go through with the flap down. We can open it for her and she goes right through. Right now since the weather is mild today I taped the flap up and got her to go through with treats and her ball.

Anyone have any ideas or tips for me? She is 10 weeks old. She has done great with potty training.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

hunterisgreat 03-31-2014 02:09 PM

wait till dinner, put her on one side of the door, show her you pushing the food bowl through the door and leave it on the other side. Don't tape the door up, just let her work it out. Make it a high value dinner with some extra tasty-ness in it.

nktigger99 03-31-2014 02:14 PM

I tried that last night with porkchops(left overs).....no go she just scratched the door and cried.

hunterisgreat 03-31-2014 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nktigger99 (Post 5301385)
I tried that last night with porkchops(left overs).....no go she just scratched the door and cried.

But what did you do next?

nktigger99 03-31-2014 02:27 PM

She did it for about 15 minutes....then she went and laid down and slept

dogfaeries 03-31-2014 02:45 PM

Each GSD puppy that I've had has always followed one of my other dogs through the dog door. Easy peasy. Well, if you have more than one dog, that is.

So barring that, I would get someone on each side of the door, and lift the flap half way up, and call her through. Back and forth, back and forth, big party on each end. Try not lifting the flap up as high after a while. If she won't go through it when it's all the way down, take your hand and just push on the bottom of the flap to show her that she can move it to make it open. She's a smart girl. She'll figure it out. I bought an 8 month old Italian Greyhound one time that was clueless, and ended up just shoving him several times out the dog door. He figured it out.

nktigger99 03-31-2014 06:53 PM

Okay got her to use the door with the flap down....now have to get her to connect that to going out and doing her business.

shepherdmom 03-31-2014 07:16 PM

Potty training and doggie door training are two different things. Once you have each down solidly then you tie them together. I find the best way to do that, is when you first get her up in the morning out of her crate & she has to pee gently push her out the doggie door. They hit the cold air outside and pee. My boy came home at 12 weeks and fully had everything down by 14 weeks with only a few accidents ever.

Bogee's Boss 03-31-2014 07:22 PM

Sorry cant help my puppy followed my other dog once and it was a done deal! Maby she would follow u or a child thru? Lol good luck.

TAR HEEL MOM 03-31-2014 07:23 PM

My shepherd uses the door no problem./ My lab WILL NOT even try it. It's OK with me because I don't want them using it when I'm not home anyway so it's no big deal to walk to it and push the plexiglass out.