Loose leash walking, worth hiring a trainer? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2014, 02:18 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Loose leash walking, worth hiring a trainer?

My dog is just 2 yrs old, he walks good, bit not as good as I'd like. He doesn't pull hard, just always has to go faster than me just enough though to be annoying. If I put on a prong he is really pretty good, though I'm still correcting him often. I want him to be better because we both would enjoy walks much more. I also half wonder if I'm not being reasonable on how good he should walk.

I kind of want to hire a trainer, but I'm afraid to spend the money and get nothing out of it. I know it's hard to say without knowing the dog, me, or the trainer, but in general would you feel it's worth doing? I walk daily and it's frustrating both me and the dog right now.
jjk454ss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2014, 02:29 AM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

if you are putting in the effort and not seeing the results you want then it is something you are doing wrong. if you dont see improvements then yeah a trainer would be a good idea. or you can try new ideas yourself because what you are doing right now isnt up to your standards.

constantly correcting the dog isnt going to help if he isnt crystal clear what you are wanting. you need to train him to understand. youtube michael ellis leash pressure. thats a good place to start.
boomer11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2014, 02:38 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomer11 View Post
if you are putting in the effort and not seeing the results you want then it is something you are doing wrong. if you dont see improvements then yeah a trainer would be a good idea. or you can try new ideas yourself because what you are doing right now isnt up to your standards.

constantly correcting the dog isnt going to help if he isnt crystal clear what you are wanting. you need to train him to understand. youtube michael ellis leash pressure. thats a good place to start.
Thanks, I've seen those videos, and he is perfect in a training situation. It's just that I don't know how to convert that to when we are actually out for a walk in the real world.

Those videos, the ones I've seen anyway, never show a dog walking ahead of you, it's always just getting the fog to follow you and turn. The trouble I have is when we're walking, he then knows we are heading this way and he is ready to go go go. All the videos seem to be a dog that doesn't know which way to head anyway, if that's the case then Hugo is perfectly fine in that situation.
Old 03-06-2014, 02:50 AM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

are you sure you understand what leash pressure is? IF you do and your dog knows leash pressure and your dog is getting in front a slight tug and stopping should make him back up to where you want. then move again. rinse and repeat. german shepherds are smart; if you are clear and consistent he'll understand what gets him the reward aka he gets to keep moving forward on his walk. if he isnt in the position you want then stop walking. only reward good behavior just like every other dog command.

teach him what the heel position is. its a command just like sit. if i say heel my dog runs to my left leg. again they are smart. a 2 yr old should know the command in 10 minutes if you are clear and the dog understands what you are wanting.
boomer11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2014, 02:54 AM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Well your thinking about what "you" might be doing wrong and that's great! I would suggest losing the prong, you did something wrong or you still would not be having this issue. Been there did that, the only dog I had that would not walk worth a crap on a leash was the only dog I used a prong collar on incorrectly!

Since you seem to have both time and patience, just start over and give this a try:

It will do no harm and might be all you need? If it fails then hire a trainer.
Chip18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2014, 02:57 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomer11 View Post
are you sure you understand what leash pressure is? IF you do and your dog knows leash pressure and your dog is getting in front a slight tug and stopping should make him back up to where you want. then move again. rinse and repeat. german shepherds are smart; if you are clear and consistent he'll understand what gets him the reward aka he gets to keep moving forward on his walk. if he isnt in the position you want then stop walking. only reward good behavior just like every other dog command.

teach him what the heel position is. its a command just like sit. if i say heel my dog runs to my left leg. again they are smart. a 2 yr old should know the command in 10 minutes if you are clear and the dog understands what you are wanting.
I know it's me, I just don't know what I'm doing I guess. He knows the heel position, all I have to do is tap my hip and he comes and sits right against my leg. When we are walking if I stop, like you mention, he jumps right back into position. But then it's right back out front as soon as we start walking. If I hold a treat, or ball, we walks perfectly, but then you reward him and it's right back out front again.

I do feel like we are so close, I just think I'm missing the correct way to communicate to him what I want I guess. I think a little bit of the issue is we walk in the same places, so he knows where to go, and also knows his favorite places along the way, like the park where he can run.
Old 03-06-2014, 03:07 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip18 View Post
Well your thinking about what "you" might be doing wrong and that's great! I would suggest losing the prong, you did something wrong or you still would not be having this issue. Been there did that, the only dog I had that would not walk worth a crap on a leash was the only dog I used a prong collar on incorrectly!

Since you seem to have both time and patience, just start over and give this a try:

Stop your dog from pulling on the leash video - YouTube

It will do no harm and might be all you need? If it fails then hire a trainer.
That video is really helpful, thanks. I do something similar, with the turn every time he gets ahead of me, and he will do good with that. It's just maybe I'm not doing it enough. I'll keep on it, and try some of the other points in the video. Thanks for the link.
Old 03-06-2014, 04:39 AM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

Sounds like he is forging. A properly fitted prong used properly will fix that in 10 minutes. There are numerous youtube vids.
Such shy animals are in all circumstances an encumbrance to their owner, who must be ashamed of such a dog, and a disgrace to their race. Under no circumstances whatever must they be used for breeding, however noble and striking they may appear.
Blitzkrieg1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2014, 11:11 AM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

Yep, I have a forger (I should have him arrested! ) as well. I can 'fix' it with a prong or even just wrapping the leash around his belly. HOWEVER, it's not really fixed. It would be nice to have them walk without forging and without needing a tool to enforce it. That's what I would like .. and I think what the OP is wanting as well.
Old 03-06-2014, 01:06 PM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

Actually it would fix the problem if done properly. Common myth spread about prongs is you always need them. Not true. Dog already knows heel all you do is intro leash pressure. Then you place the dog in heel walk out of position, correct, not nagging little pops an actual correction. Rinse and repeat until you arent correcting the dog anymore. When the dog is allowed to be off heel give the free command so the dog understands the difference. Very quick, black and white a couple of sessions and done.
You create habitual obedience, you will soon be able to put the dog an a flat if thats what you want, say heel and the dog will heel.

Many people confuse the dog trying to do everything like they are walking on egg shells. Reliable heel on leash with heavy distraction should take no longer then one month for a novice handler and dog assuming its spirited..
Such shy animals are in all circumstances an encumbrance to their owner, who must be ashamed of such a dog, and a disgrace to their race. Under no circumstances whatever must they be used for breeding, however noble and striking they may appear.
Blitzkrieg1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.