German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   How do I (teach my dog to)? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/how-do-i-teach-my-dog/)
-   -   How to teach "Shake" (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/how-do-i-teach-my-dog/415290-how-teach-shake.html)

enh811 02-23-2014 10:02 PM

How to teach "Shake"

Hi everyone,
I have never had such a hard time teaching shake as I have with my first German shepherd. She is 4 1/2 months now & for the life of me we cannot get her to learn "Shake" she knows other basic commands such as; sit, stay, down, off, leave it & were working on roll over. She is doing good with those. Shake we have been trying for like a month & she is not getting it... Help! Ideas? Suggestions???

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

ApselBear 02-23-2014 10:09 PM

I've never had trouble with Shake, but I may have just been lucky. What I usually do, is offer my hand palm up and when he looks at it I say shake. I just expect a blank stare at that point, but before he stops looking at the hand reach and grab his paw. Deliberate but not rushed. Treat while holding the paw.

nikon22shooter 02-23-2014 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ApselBear (Post 5074906)
I've never had trouble with Shake, but I may have just been lucky. What I usually do, is offer my hand palm up and when he looks at it I say shake. I just expect a blank stare at that point, but before he stops looking at the hand reach and grab his paw. Deliberate but not rushed. Treat while holding the paw.

Exactly this. Shake. Grab. Shake grab.

Repeat until they get it. Shouldn't take long.

SummerGSDLover 02-23-2014 10:15 PM

Try squeezing the paw gently while saying "shake."

My way:

Put puppy into a sit. Grab paw, simultaneously say "shake" and squeeze paw. Treat. "Good girl!" Keep doing it over and over for a couple minutes. Then try saying shake without grabbing her paw and see what happens! :) Good luck!

*-*Summer*-*

Baillif 02-23-2014 10:17 PM

I taught it by saying shake and messing with the upper lip and the pup would raise the paw to slap my hand away and I'd mark and reward.

lennyb 02-23-2014 11:05 PM

Taught both my boys shake the same way. Say shake, grab paw and praise. With in a couple of days they had it down. The only problem is now if I have something they want the offer paw with out me asking. GSD's are incrediblely smart and will / can learn extremely fast.

nikon22shooter 02-23-2014 11:12 PM

Thissssss. It gets annoying sometimes when they throw those big paws around when you don't want them haha. Especially when they hit you in the face with them lol

lennyb 02-23-2014 11:22 PM

Lord forbid they want attention and you ignore them. My boys will whine, lick and finally smack at you until you give them their lovin, then I swear they actually smile and talk to ya while your loving them.

Mala 02-23-2014 11:51 PM

I hold a treat in my hand closed. My pup would sit and try to figure out how to get to it. After sniffing, licking, biting (painfully), she'll use her paw to try to scratch it. When she puts her paw on my hand, I open it and let her have the treat. After a few repetitions, I give her the que. Then I slowly transition it without the treat and when she gives me her paw when I say "paw" I give her a treat from my other hand. I use "shake" command for her to shake her body before she comes in the house :)

Tratkins 02-24-2014 12:01 AM

I did what Mala did and our new pup got it pretty quick.