How do I teach my shepherd to jump into the car - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2014, 08:10 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default How do I teach my shepherd to jump into the car

I have an 1 year 8 months old male desexed shepherd (Bandit) who cannot jump into the back of our ute tray or into the backseat of the car. How can I train him to do this? Iv tried putting treats in there but that hasn't worked. At the moment he puts his front paws up on the side and I have to lift his back legs up. He's getting quite heavy for this to continue. We haven't aloud him to jump down from anything from a young age due to the breeders recommendation.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Chelsea and bandit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2014, 08:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member

At nearly two yrs old your dog is old enough to be able to jump out of a vehicle. unless there is some sort of underlying issue. I understand the breeder not wanting a puppy to jump out of a vehicle, but your dog is mature enough to handle that now. If he won't get in the vehicle by himself, I would have his hips checked. (if he is not in pain, forgo the hip check and realize it may be because you have been enabling him to use you) You could try a small step stool. My dog is severely cowhocked and needs help getting into my sportage, up stairs, etc. Since you have been doing this for your dog since a very young age, he has not been able to develop the confidence to do it himself. He knows you will help him. Once they do it for themselves with lots of praise, he will do it again. Step stool to start would be helpful. Hope this helps.
lisgje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2014, 08:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

This clastrophobic reaction can have a history starting back in time when your dog was separated from his mother, and a sheer smell of the car may revive emotional state. Get a trainer with his dog assisting him in training. The assistant will jump into your car and your dog will follow him without any problem. Leave all detailes to the trainer. Many dogs enter water, train, etc without fear being led by another dog with ease, they stop chasing joggers, reacting on naughty children, looking at cats, they learn from another dog much faster all good and bad habits which we, humans, may try to install in their brains for days and months without much success.
David Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2014, 09:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

i'd definitely check hips. unless you clearly see fear there shouldnt be any reason your dog cant jump into a car (being an overweight 120 shepherd who gets tired just looking at other dogs run doesnt count).

my old dog only jumped into the back of the suv when he was hyper and really really wanted to and had a running start. other than that he'd put his front paws up on the seat like you described. he had hd + he was fat. my healthy dog could jump in the back of a pick up at 6 months old.
boomer11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2014, 10:00 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsea and bandit View Post
I have an 1 year 8 months old male desexed shepherd (Bandit) who cannot jump into the back of our ute tray or into the backseat of the car. How can I train him to do this? Iv tried putting treats in there but that hasn't worked. At the moment he puts his front paws up on the side and I have to lift his back legs up. He's getting quite heavy for this to continue. We haven't aloud him to jump down from anything from a young age due to the breeders recommendation.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Assuming your dog is healthy, I know where you're coming from! We took both dogs on numerous car rides when they were little pups, so they got used to being lifted into the car and lifted out. For my husband's lab, it took walking off with him in the back of the car (in a safe area of course!) for him to finally jump out on his own. To get him to jump in, DH had to climb in the back and call to him excitedly. Thankfully he's of the sort, where once he realizes he can do something he repeats it readily and we had no more issues with him.

My GSD pup had no problems jumping out of the car (it's a Mazda hatchback) as soon as I allowed it, but she wouldn't jump in even with me (or the lab) in the back calling to her. I knew she was capable because she could jump the agility jump at the park at a higher setting and once when she was really amped up at visiting the in-laws (they live in the country ) I was able to give the same 'hup' command to get her to jump in.

Of course that command didn't translate to her getting in under normal circumstances, so she started getting her meals in the back of my car. She wouldn't do it for treats or toys, but dinner is a powerful motivator. She whined a lot the first time and eventually scrambled in with a lot of encouragement from me. We repeated this for three or four days, and she was jumping in readily. When I had to take her somewhere, I used a small handful of food to transition, and now she gets in and out with no problems
Bequavious is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2014, 10:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Get your dog ramped up with a game of fetch and when he is showing some drive, toss the toy into the car. My 5 month old jumps in the back of my Rav4 with no problem. Your adult dog shouldn't have any problems. You just need to teach him that he can do it.

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2014, 03:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Check hips, but he may also not quite be understanding that he's allowed to jump in. I give a command for this (I say "hup hup!")

I'm not sure what your rules are for jumping up on the couch, but if he's not allowed on the couch in the house, he might be thinking he's not allowed up in the car too?

Maybe try stinkier treats, or a toy, as was suggested?
blackshep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2014, 04:11 PM   #8 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

Do you have him jumping onto other things? Like a table or bench? He may not have enough awareness of where is paws are to be comfortable with it and is being cautious.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2014, 04:19 PM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I'm curious if he jumps on anything else? When Titan was about a year I started teaching him to climb/jump barrels of hay.. honestly I just saw someone else doing and thought Titan could do it to, lol.. but that actually taught him how to jump into my car (an over a short fence and on the couch... oh the list, ) I started with his ball actually. Like Jax08 said, I was getting him ramped up and threw it up top and it took him a minute to figure out how to get it, but he did.. then it was easy peasy for him.. for us "up" is if I want his front paws on something and "go up" is specific to the car.

Whitney
and
Commander Charly Titan-15 Jan 2010
wyoung2153 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2014, 04:22 PM   #10 (permalink)

I don't think this has anything to do with being separated from their mother, unless of course maybe 'mom' left him in a car alone for an extended period of time which traumatized him (I AM KIDDING!)

I actually teach all my dogs to put their front feet 'on' the back of my blazer, the back seat floor etc...It's a good thing to teach for when they get into those senior years and have difficulty getting into my vehicle (which again, I have a blazer

I like the toy idea, or if you can have someone help you, how about one of you getting into the back seat, while both of you prompt him to get in??

I would check out his hips, just to be on the safe side...

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.