German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   How do I (teach my dog to)? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/how-do-i-teach-my-dog/)
-   -   "out" command (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/how-do-i-teach-my-dog/402266-out-command.html)

hwtan 01-26-2014 08:42 PM

"out" command

the abandon gsd i adopt

will need lotsa bonding, thus the best way i reckon is to play with him
as he got good prey drive.

the only problem now is, he doesnt want to let go the tug toy or the ball

how can i train him to let go?

he will just continue to chew it when i bring him back into his kennel.

any advice?

:confused:

Nigel 01-26-2014 08:57 PM

Use two balls/toys and rotate them as your dog returns with the other.

doggiedad 01-26-2014 09:07 PM

i taught my dog "leave it" and "drop it". if you don't
know how to train find a trainer.

Nigel 01-26-2014 09:34 PM

Here's a helpful link I've seen posted here before.

Two Squeakies

wyoung2153 01-26-2014 10:24 PM

If he is treat motivated, every time he brings you the toy give your command to drop, and offer a treat.

If that doesn't work (not too much for my insanely toy motivated boy) we rotated toys. I would say drop it and offer another toy.

hwtan 01-27-2014 04:21 AM

thanks folks!!

got i!!

:)

David Winners 01-27-2014 05:38 AM

I teach the OUT by making the tug go dead, and then immediately rewarding the out with a re bite. The game stops until the dog outs, and then immediately starts again.

I caution against bribing the dog to return the toy by showing it another one. You are just setting up a situation where the dog will only bring you something when you have something to offer.

I like to teach the dog that the act of tugging is the fun thing, not the possession of the tug.

harmony 01-27-2014 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Winners (Post 4912842)
I teach the OUT by making the tug go dead, and then immediately rewarding the out with a re bite. The game stops until the dog outs, and then immediately starts again.

I caution against bribing the dog to return the toy by showing it another one. You are just setting up a situation where the dog will only bring you something when you have something to offer.

I like to teach the dog that the act of tugging is the fun thing, not the possession of the tug.

Teaching a dog to release a toy - YouTube

wow really LOL,

David Winners 01-27-2014 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harmony (Post 4912898)
wow really LOL,

I'm not alone in training the out this way. It's how most sport / LE / mil trainers that I know teach the out.

Did you have some advice?

jocoyn 01-27-2014 07:08 AM

David I was looking for a video like that when someone asked on my thread ......... I am going to PM them and point them here. Thanks for posting. It is the way the police here train it and if anyone needs a reliable out........of course one of the things I have learned....a stiffer dog easier to go dead