So I'm taking my dog to a trainer - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2014, 10:11 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default So I'm taking my dog to a trainer

I am pretty much at wits end and broke down an decided to hire a trainer. My year old gsd whom I love dearly will not stop jumping and play biting with my kids. Every time it seems like we are getting better we take two steps back. I've tried everything training my kids and the dog. How much success does everyone think this trainer thing has!? I really don't want to get rid of him. Has anyone had success with a trainer that they didn't have trying to do it yourself ?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
brittanyb28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2014, 10:19 PM   #2 (permalink)

I have had a dog that was farrell and we couldn't touch him. So we got a trainer and we could touch him so I think trainers are successful!!
scout172 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2014, 10:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

there are great trainers and there are wannabe trainers. listen to them but if things arent working for you then get a new one.

how much exercise is the dog getting? you shouldnt have to get rid of the dog. the dog just needs CONSISTENT rules and boundaries.
boomer11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2014, 10:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Problems like the one you're having are super easy to fix. If the trainer has any issues he is crap. Just find a new one.
Baillif is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2014, 10:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

The best trainer will train YOU to train your dog. Dogs are pretty predictable.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2014, 10:35 PM   #6 (permalink)

I am taking him to a trainer that was highly recommended at the dog park I go to. And their dog was very well mannered. I just don't want to pay for something, then it doesn't get fixed and they want more money and more money and by the time you know it I'm broke. I'm not asking for him to be a police dog, just jumping, biting and paying attention to commands while distracted.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
brittanyb28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2014, 10:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Be prepared to change how you interact or live with the dog. If you aren't willing to make some changes then prepared to be disappointed.
Baillif is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2014, 10:43 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baillif View Post
Be prepared to change how you interact or live with the dog. If you aren't willing to make some changes then prepared to be disappointed.
yes agreed. its not really the dogs fault. its more your fault and you're the one that will have to change how you do things.
boomer11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2014, 10:44 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomer11 View Post
there are great trainers and there are wannabe trainers. listen to them but if things arent working for you then get a new one.

how much exercise is the dog getting? you shouldnt have to get rid of the dog. the dog just needs CONSISTENT rules and boundaries.
I think Boomer hit it with exercise and consistent rules and boundaries! Dogs need mental stimulation also" that will tire them out! Sounds like your pup has a lot of energy" and herding drives! Tire him out be firm fair consistent! Bill
bill is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2014, 11:12 PM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

What are you asking exactly? I can't quite follow.

The trainer is not going to fix the problem of the dog jumping and mouthing. You have to fix that. And you have to do it, like Bailif said, by changing how you live and interact with your dog. Whatever you (or your kids) are doing now is rewarding the behavior; that's why it isn't going away.

What the trainer should be doing is teaching you what you're doing wrong right now, and what you should do to decrease the behaviors you don't want and increase the behaviors you do want.

After that it's up to you to follow through by changing your own behavior accordingly and being consistent with those changes. If you don't do that, the program will fail.

This is one of those issues that's really really easy to fix with the dog but sometimes impossibly difficult to fix on the human end of the leash.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.