German Shepherds Forum banner

Positive Reinforcement training questions

11K views 128 replies 22 participants last post by  dpc134 
#1 ·
All,
I have been doing some research on Positive Reinforcement training methods and I am curious on a few scenarios how this method works for certain things. I trained my dog certain commands (sit, down, stay, etc.) using +R only. But how does +R work to teach unwanted behaviors?

How would you train your dog to stop chewing on something using Positive Reinforcement only?
How would you use +R to stop your dog from play biting too hard with another dog?
What about high distraction situations, when the distraction (another dog, person, etc.) is more motivating to your dog than your treat? How do you handle those situations?

I am only asking because I am trying to learn and expand my training knowledge. I have successfully trained my dog in all of these situations, however, I have not used +R only. I am curious how +R would be used to train these situations.

Thanks in advance.

#112 ·
I'm not on a high horse. I told you how I did it. you don't think it's good enough. I let the dogs figure it out and if it gets too rough for me, I tell them to stop and they do. I didn't do it with a prong collar. I don't even know how I "taught" half my words in that scenario :) I can say "hey" "easy" "leave it" "knock it off" and they seem to know what I want :)

I told you I manage situations in training and build from there, I get the impression you think that is cheating and my dogs won't respond under any circumstances like yours will. At least that seems to be what you said.

There are 10,000 variables in any given situation for training, I can't get into all of them, so instead I give you principles. It requires you to think about "how" you might manage and build off something, but much like I don't "correct and teach it in 30 seconds" i like dogs to figure things out on their own. Seems to make a longer lasting impression but then dogs seem to be more willing participants

Example teaching a hold, for a food bowl. A lot of people would have had me choking my dog out to accept a dumbbell. I even did that with my first dog and quit it because it wasn't worth it to me. Instead, they had a chance to take it and hold it and they'd get food from their bowl. If not, they got put in their crate, the food got put out of their reach, but where they could see it and I went inside for at least 30 minutes and came back out and did it again. Of course I varied what I expected from them and how many chances I'd give them before quitting and built it from there, but there was no "correcting" though many would tell me I must do it to get a proper "hold". It wasn't all +R either. Plenty of -R going on as well.

#118 ·
I'm not on a high horse. I told you how I did it. you don't think it's good enough. I let the dogs figure it out and if it gets too rough for me, I tell them to stop and they do. I didn't do it with a prong collar. I don't even know how I "taught" half my words in that scenario :) I can say "hey" "easy" "leave it" "knock it off" and they seem to know what I want :)

I told you I manage situations in training and build from there, I get the impression you think that is cheating and my dogs won't respond under any circumstances like yours will. At least that seems to be what you said.

There are 10,000 variables in any given situation for training, I can't get into all of them, so instead I give you principles. It requires you to think about "how" you might manage and build off something, but much like I don't "correct and teach it in 30 seconds" i like dogs to figure things out on their own. Seems to make a longer lasting impression but then dogs seem to be more willing participants

Example teaching a hold, for a food bowl. A lot of people would have had me choking my dog out to accept a dumbbell. I even did that with my first dog and quit it because it wasn't worth it to me. Instead, they had a chance to take it and hold it and they'd get food from their bowl. If not, they got put in their crate, the food got put out of their reach, but where they could see it and I went inside for at least 30 minutes and came back out and did it again. Of course I varied what I expected from them and how many chances I'd give them before quitting and built it from there, but there was no "correcting" though many would tell me I must do it to get a proper "hold". It wasn't all +R either. Plenty of -R going on as well.
Your previous post was making me out to be a trainer that knows nothing and is abusive with my training. And your dog is much better trained than mine.
I am not here to establish who's dog is better trained, rather, I am seeking how others would handle certain scenarios using no physical corrections. You have explained those methods, and I appreciate that. But when you start calling me a liar and judging my intentions, I simply have no need to continue conversing with you.

#120 ·
All - I appreciate everybody's feedback and input. This information has been helpful. I have a few books that I ordered that I will be reading to help expand my training knowledge in +R methods. Thanks to those for the recommendations.
Keep the thread going with other suggestions. I enjoy hearing peoples different methods and views.

#123 ·
Since we are on this topic... My 10 week old puppy just humped his toy dinosaur.

I know humping is a sign of not getting enough exercise. He hasn't had his 3rd parvo vac yet, so we can't take him on real walks yet. We went to Home Depot today on his first big adventure to get him some good social time in and some exercise. He also spent some time with my moms toy poodle mix which didn't go too well so they were separated. She isn't fixed and is usually really submissive and gentle with other dogs. I guess Alvin was the first dog she could boss around because she became an over-dominant bully.

He came home fine and after dinner he became crazy hyper! Then the humping happened...

What do I do to make this stop? We redirected him with a chew toy and took the dinosaur away... He's only 10 weeks old what the heck?!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#124 ·
So glad I found this thread. I have a continual battle going on in my head about different training methods. (and unfortunately my dog is probably not as well trained as she could be due to my indecisiveness) At heart I prefer to use +R but I must be doing something wrong because it just doesn't work in all situations. It is definitely the way to go when teaching new behaviors or tricks but it is what comes after that is confusing to me....

As to dog play getting too rough... My 2 1/2 yr old 85 lb girl has been playing with my son's English Mastiff starting when the mastiff was 8 weeks. She was extremely gentle with the puppy, just needed a few reminders to be "easy". Of course now that puppy is 10 months and the play style has changed A LOT. There is a lot more biting and rough play, which I always worry about. But she definitely lets the big guy know when she has had enough. He doesn't always get it, and that is when I step in and make them take a break. A recall for one or the other, and both usually come running. Or if Stella is getting too bitey(is that a word?), I will ask her to go find a stick or toy. It seems better when they have something in their mouths. She knows what "easy" means. Now if only the mastiff would figure that out!!!

#125 ·
OP, here's another thing to think about. Know what my best correction is right now, that's all-powerful and most meaningful to my pup? You'll never guess...

Taking my fleece fuchsia hat off, lol! Yup, I put it on first, when I'm getting all bundled up to face the horrible weather conditions (that my pup doesn't notice) and I want him in his crate while I'm getting suited up. If he breaks his stay, and charges the door to rush us out, off the hat goes. You should see him fly back into that crate. Of course, he should be reliable. I could prong him into a stay and get him there faster. Oh well.

#126 ·
OP, here's another thing to think about. Know what my best correction is right now, that's all-powerful and most meaningful to my pup? You'll never guess...

Taking my fleece fuchsia hat off, lol! Yup, I put it on first, when I'm getting all bundled up to face the horrible weather conditions (that my pup doesn't notice) and I want him in his crate while I'm getting suited up. If he breaks his stay, and charges the door to rush us out, off the hat goes. You should see him fly back into that crate. Of course, he should be reliable. I could prong him into a stay and get him there faster. Oh well.
It is funny how these dogs pick up on stuff. When I put on my hiking shoes, my dog goes crazy because she knows we are going for a walk. However, when I put my work shoes on, she knows I am leaving to go to work and so she just lays there watching me. Never thought a dog could be so smart to know the difference between what shoes you wear.
I ordered a few books and am thinking of ordered a set of DVDs to learn more about the different training methods out there. At the end of the day, I think that all the different training methods work, depending on the level of training, the dog, and the owner, will dictate which method to use. As long as the dog is happy and your relationship is strong, I think its just splitting hairs.

#128 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.