German Shepherds Forum banner

CGC help

2K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  DJEtzel 
#1 ·
Karly is taking her CGC test next month. The only problem we are going to have is with the "Supervised Separation" portion of the test. She throws an absolute fit if I walk away. Anyone have any tips on how to get past this? I'm thinking click and treat every time she stops squealing and gradually phasing that out. We have a few weeks to correct this and I'm confident we will work through it.

#3 · (Edited)
teach her "stay", "sit stay", "down stay". walk a short distance away.
gradually add distance. then start stepping out of sight. hide behind a
car, a tree, duck behind a fence, etc. in the house step behind a door,
go to another room. slowly add more time to being out of sight.
when i did the out of sight training i use to make noise as an added
distraction. slowly increase your time out of sight.

at some point start training being out of sight with a person
holding Karly.

#4 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. She knows all these commands and will do them in the house but she's not yet 100% reliable outside. When we tried it at practice she stayed put but screamed and howled like someone was killing her. Understandably this would be a fail. I work from home so I think overall she just spends too much time with me. Even when I leave the house and the rest of the family is here with her she puts on quit a show when I leave.

#14 ·
Hmm? My CGC instructor told us that we could NOT use ANY command, such as 'stay' for this part of the test.
I had to hand my dog off to a stranger and then walk out of sight, no command at all was allowed. It freaked my dog out!
It was VERY difficult for my dog and I don't think she could do it now. We managed to pass the test, but this was the hardest part by far.
If I told her to 'stay' or put her in a sit or down, she would have been ok with it, but again, I was told I couldn't do that.

#16 · (Edited)
It sayes right on the guide to use as many commands as the owner wants i still have the form from last month to send in. but the form was recently updated.

#15 ·
Zeus put up a fit. He passed.

The trainer said that its normal for the breed at a young age and that he is herding me. I like this because i can let him off leash and he stick by me at the beach. This is an old rule when people used to leave dogs outside the store etc.. not even recommended anymore.

One thing you can do is get your dog SUPER tired before the test!!!

They only make sure that your dog is not aggressive when u walk away to get to you. I was told that Zeus was upset, gave a good pull. But calmed down and watched in my direction until i was called back inside the building.

It's up to you if you want to untrain this behavior, but i dont, It's not ok for him to be separated from me in public and I intend to keep it this way. At home and when i leave for work there is no anxiety.

Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.