Car accident? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2014, 09:11 AM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
halo2013's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 261
Default Car accident?

So me and my dog were in a roll over car accident this morning. My truck rolled over on its side. My dog is now understandably mortified of vehicles. Anyone know where to start to even get her to walk near a vehicle again. She's just standing in my driveway afraid to walk by my truck and my husbands car

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
__________________
LVT. N.Latham
halo2013 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-11-2014, 09:18 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member
 
Jax08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NNE PA
Posts: 22,160
Default

A clicker...learn to use a clicker...and mark even so much as a step closer to the vehicles. I wouldn't just let her stand there and freeze up either. I would get her "crack" out...whether it's toys or food...and keep her moving. Walk away, keep her focused and then walk back towards it. Don't let her get to the point where she is reacting. Turn back away right before you reach her threshhold.

Look up BAT.
__________________


~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2014, 09:33 AM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
halo2013's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 261
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
A clicker...learn to use a clicker...and mark even so much as a step closer to the vehicles. I wouldn't just let her stand there and freeze up either. I would get her "crack" out...whether it's toys or food...and keep her moving. Walk away, keep her focused and then walk back towards it. Don't let her get to the point where she is reacting. Turn back away right before you reach her threshhold.

Look up BAT.
Right now she's just afraid of the vehicle. I want to be able to take her with me on rides again. But approach I've tried isn't working so far. I'm not pushing her into it before she's ready. But as it stands she doesn't want near it.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
__________________
LVT. N.Latham
halo2013 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2014, 09:35 AM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member
 
onyx'girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SW, MI
Posts: 24,464
Default

If this just happened let yourselves both relax. Your adrenaline/anxiety(even if you don't feel it) may be rubbing off on her.
Hopefully you can fit a crate into your vehicle for the safety of your dog.
__________________
Jane~
Kept by Onyx, Kacie and Karlo
onyx'girl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2014, 09:39 AM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member
 
Jax08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NNE PA
Posts: 22,160
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by halo2013 View Post
Right now she's just afraid of the vehicle. I want to be able to take her with me on rides again. But approach I've tried isn't working so far. I'm not pushing her into it before she's ready. But as it stands she doesn't want near it.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
ok...so read what I wrote again. It's not pushing her. Look up BAT and get a clicker and her favorite reward.
__________________


~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2014, 09:43 AM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
halo2013's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 261
Default

Okay Ty I'll try the clicker again

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
__________________
LVT. N.Latham
halo2013 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2014, 10:32 AM   #7 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator
 
MaggieRoseLee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Bushkill, PA (The Poconos!)
Posts: 26,519
Default

Definitely keep her hungry , use REAL treats from your fridge, and use the clicker.

You can just click/treat if she looks at the car, moves one foot to the car...

Have you seen this? If it works for a fearful mule.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCtrtbdXkVw
__________________
*****
MACH3 Bretta Lee Wildhaus MXG MJG MXF MFB TQX HIT CGC TC
Glory B Wildhaus AX, AXJ, XF
plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2014, 12:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member
 
ozzymama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: ontario, canada
Posts: 7,015
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
If this just happened let yourselves both relax. Your adrenaline/anxiety(even if you don't feel it) may be rubbing off on her.
Hopefully you can fit a crate into your vehicle for the safety of your dog.

This! Unless the dog needs to go to the vet, both of you should not go anywhere today. Sit down, relax, this isn't falling off a horse and getting back on immediately (which is only so you don't have to walk to the barn ), this is an auto accident, that only happened a couple hours ago. Give her a day to rest and decompress, maybe she has to potty somewhere else where she doesn't go by the car for a day. If there is no good reason to take her in a vehicle today, wait until tomorrow when you are both calm and relaxed and the accident is receding to a memory to work on it. You should be relaxing because often times injuries sustained during crashes, due to adrenaline, symptoms do not show up for hours or days after an accident - for both of you. Today is relax day for her and you.
ozzymama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2014, 12:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member
 
DJEtzel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Kalamazoo, Michigan
Posts: 5,054
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
A clicker...learn to use a clicker...and mark even so much as a step closer to the vehicles. I wouldn't just let her stand there and freeze up either. I would get her "crack" out...whether it's toys or food...and keep her moving. Walk away, keep her focused and then walk back towards it. Don't let her get to the point where she is reacting. Turn back away right before you reach her threshhold.

Look up BAT.
This. Start for calm looking toward the vehicle from a safe distance. Move around - forward and back and C/T for looking at the car.

Ironically, my friend was in a rollover accident with his Viszla last weekend and she's having the same problem. I sent him home with a clicker the night it happened, he's using it with great results.
__________________
Danielle, owner of...
Fraggle Rock Collars & ...
Fraggle Vom Richcreek CGC CA
Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
DJEtzel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2014, 12:38 PM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member
 
Saphire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 1,886
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzymama View Post
This! Unless the dog needs to go to the vet, both of you should not go anywhere today. Sit down, relax, this isn't falling off a horse and getting back on immediately (which is only so you don't have to walk to the barn ), this is an auto accident, that only happened a couple hours ago. Give her a day to rest and decompress, maybe she has to potty somewhere else where she doesn't go by the car for a day. If there is no good reason to take her in a vehicle today, wait until tomorrow when you are both calm and relaxed and the accident is receding to a memory to work on it. You should be relaxing because often times injuries sustained during crashes, due to adrenaline, symptoms do not show up for hours or days after an accident - for both of you. Today is relax day for her and you.
Great advice!!

I am willing to bet you both will be very bruised and sore by tomorrow. Give yourselves a few days to recover, then start with marker training around car.
__________________
Carmspack Gus
Nov/25/2012
Saphire is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:29 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
PetGuide.com
Basset.net DobermanTalk.com GoldenRetrieverForum.com OurBeagleWorld.com
BoxerForums.com DogForums.com GoPitbull.com PoodleForum.com
BulldogBreeds.com FishForums.com HavaneseForum.com SpoiledMaltese.com
CatForum.com GermanShepherds.com Labradoodle-dogs.net YorkieForum.com
Chihuahua-People.com RetrieverBreeds.com