Car accident? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2014, 09:11 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Car accident?

So me and my dog were in a roll over car accident this morning. My truck rolled over on its side. My dog is now understandably mortified of vehicles. Anyone know where to start to even get her to walk near a vehicle again. She's just standing in my driveway afraid to walk by my truck and my husbands car

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2014, 09:18 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

A clicker...learn to use a clicker...and mark even so much as a step closer to the vehicles. I wouldn't just let her stand there and freeze up either. I would get her "crack" out...whether it's toys or food...and keep her moving. Walk away, keep her focused and then walk back towards it. Don't let her get to the point where she is reacting. Turn back away right before you reach her threshhold.

Look up BAT.

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2014, 09:33 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
A clicker...learn to use a clicker...and mark even so much as a step closer to the vehicles. I wouldn't just let her stand there and freeze up either. I would get her "crack" out...whether it's toys or food...and keep her moving. Walk away, keep her focused and then walk back towards it. Don't let her get to the point where she is reacting. Turn back away right before you reach her threshhold.

Look up BAT.
Right now she's just afraid of the vehicle. I want to be able to take her with me on rides again. But approach I've tried isn't working so far. I'm not pushing her into it before she's ready. But as it stands she doesn't want near it.

Old 01-11-2014, 09:35 AM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

If this just happened let yourselves both relax. Your adrenaline/anxiety(even if you don't feel it) may be rubbing off on her.
Hopefully you can fit a crate into your vehicle for the safety of your dog.
Old 01-11-2014, 09:39 AM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by halo2013 View Post
Right now she's just afraid of the vehicle. I want to be able to take her with me on rides again. But approach I've tried isn't working so far. I'm not pushing her into it before she's ready. But as it stands she doesn't want near it.

ok...so read what I wrote again. It's not pushing her. Look up BAT and get a clicker and her favorite reward.

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2014, 09:43 AM   #6 (permalink)

Okay Ty I'll try the clicker again

Old 01-11-2014, 10:32 AM   #7 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Definitely keep her hungry , use REAL treats from your fridge, and use the clicker.

You can just click/treat if she looks at the car, moves one foot to the car...

Have you seen this? If it works for a fearful mule.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCtrtbdXkVw
plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2014, 12:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
If this just happened let yourselves both relax. Your adrenaline/anxiety(even if you don't feel it) may be rubbing off on her.
Hopefully you can fit a crate into your vehicle for the safety of your dog.

This! Unless the dog needs to go to the vet, both of you should not go anywhere today. Sit down, relax, this isn't falling off a horse and getting back on immediately (which is only so you don't have to walk to the barn ), this is an auto accident, that only happened a couple hours ago. Give her a day to rest and decompress, maybe she has to potty somewhere else where she doesn't go by the car for a day. If there is no good reason to take her in a vehicle today, wait until tomorrow when you are both calm and relaxed and the accident is receding to a memory to work on it. You should be relaxing because often times injuries sustained during crashes, due to adrenaline, symptoms do not show up for hours or days after an accident - for both of you. Today is relax day for her and you.
ozzymama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2014, 12:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post

Look up BAT.
This. Start for calm looking toward the vehicle from a safe distance. Move around - forward and back and C/T for looking at the car.

Ironically, my friend was in a rollover accident with his Viszla last weekend and she's having the same problem. I sent him home with a clicker the night it happened, he's using it with great results.
Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
DJEtzel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2014, 12:38 PM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzymama View Post
This! Unless the dog needs to go to the vet, both of you should not go anywhere today. Sit down, relax, this isn't falling off a horse and getting back on immediately (which is only so you don't have to walk to the barn ), this is an auto accident, that only happened a couple hours ago. Give her a day to rest and decompress, maybe she has to potty somewhere else where she doesn't go by the car for a day. If there is no good reason to take her in a vehicle today, wait until tomorrow when you are both calm and relaxed and the accident is receding to a memory to work on it. You should be relaxing because often times injuries sustained during crashes, due to adrenaline, symptoms do not show up for hours or days after an accident - for both of you. Today is relax day for her and you.
Great advice!!

I am willing to bet you both will be very bruised and sore by tomorrow. Give yourselves a few days to recover, then start with marker training around car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.