German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   How do I (teach my dog to)? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/how-do-i-teach-my-dog/)
-   -   Car accident? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/how-do-i-teach-my-dog/394506-car-accident.html)

halo2013 01-11-2014 09:11 AM

Car accident?

So me and my dog were in a roll over car accident this morning. My truck rolled over on its side. My dog is now understandably mortified of vehicles. Anyone know where to start to even get her to walk near a vehicle again. She's just standing in my driveway afraid to walk by my truck and my husbands car

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Jax08 01-11-2014 09:18 AM

A clicker...learn to use a clicker...and mark even so much as a step closer to the vehicles. I wouldn't just let her stand there and freeze up either. I would get her "crack" out...whether it's toys or food...and keep her moving. Walk away, keep her focused and then walk back towards it. Don't let her get to the point where she is reacting. Turn back away right before you reach her threshhold.

Look up BAT.

halo2013 01-11-2014 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jax08 (Post 4813354)
A clicker...learn to use a clicker...and mark even so much as a step closer to the vehicles. I wouldn't just let her stand there and freeze up either. I would get her "crack" out...whether it's toys or food...and keep her moving. Walk away, keep her focused and then walk back towards it. Don't let her get to the point where she is reacting. Turn back away right before you reach her threshhold.

Look up BAT.

Right now she's just afraid of the vehicle. I want to be able to take her with me on rides again. But approach I've tried isn't working so far. I'm not pushing her into it before she's ready. But as it stands she doesn't want near it.

onyx'girl 01-11-2014 09:35 AM

If this just happened let yourselves both relax. Your adrenaline/anxiety(even if you don't feel it) may be rubbing off on her.
Hopefully you can fit a crate into your vehicle for the safety of your dog.

Jax08 01-11-2014 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by halo2013 (Post 4813394)
Right now she's just afraid of the vehicle. I want to be able to take her with me on rides again. But approach I've tried isn't working so far. I'm not pushing her into it before she's ready. But as it stands she doesn't want near it.

ok...so read what I wrote again. It's not pushing her. Look up BAT and get a clicker and her favorite reward.

halo2013 01-11-2014 09:43 AM

Okay Ty I'll try the clicker again

MaggieRoseLee 01-11-2014 10:32 AM

Definitely keep her hungry :), use REAL treats from your fridge, and use the clicker.

You can just click/treat if she looks at the car, moves one foot to the car...

Have you seen this? If it works for a fearful mule.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCtrtbdXkVw

ozzymama 01-11-2014 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onyx'girl (Post 4813402)
If this just happened let yourselves both relax. Your adrenaline/anxiety(even if you don't feel it) may be rubbing off on her.
Hopefully you can fit a crate into your vehicle for the safety of your dog.

This! Unless the dog needs to go to the vet, both of you should not go anywhere today. Sit down, relax, this isn't falling off a horse and getting back on immediately (which is only so you don't have to walk to the barn;) ), this is an auto accident, that only happened a couple hours ago. Give her a day to rest and decompress, maybe she has to potty somewhere else where she doesn't go by the car for a day. If there is no good reason to take her in a vehicle today, wait until tomorrow when you are both calm and relaxed and the accident is receding to a memory to work on it. You should be relaxing because often times injuries sustained during crashes, due to adrenaline, symptoms do not show up for hours or days after an accident - for both of you. Today is relax day for her and you.

DJEtzel 01-11-2014 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jax08 (Post 4813354)

Look up BAT.

This. Start for calm looking toward the vehicle from a safe distance. Move around - forward and back and C/T for looking at the car.

Ironically, my friend was in a rollover accident with his Viszla last weekend and she's having the same problem. I sent him home with a clicker the night it happened, he's using it with great results.

Saphire 01-11-2014 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozzymama (Post 4813978)
This! Unless the dog needs to go to the vet, both of you should not go anywhere today. Sit down, relax, this isn't falling off a horse and getting back on immediately (which is only so you don't have to walk to the barn;) ), this is an auto accident, that only happened a couple hours ago. Give her a day to rest and decompress, maybe she has to potty somewhere else where she doesn't go by the car for a day. If there is no good reason to take her in a vehicle today, wait until tomorrow when you are both calm and relaxed and the accident is receding to a memory to work on it. You should be relaxing because often times injuries sustained during crashes, due to adrenaline, symptoms do not show up for hours or days after an accident - for both of you. Today is relax day for her and you.

Great advice!!

I am willing to bet you both will be very bruised and sore by tomorrow. Give yourselves a few days to recover, then start with marker training around car.