Training Tips to Help Lessen Fear of Cars Going By - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2014, 01:27 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Training Tips to Help Lessen Fear of Cars Going By

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone had any good training advice to help my five month old German Shepherd/Doberman mix puppy be less afraid of cars when she's out on her walks. We hired a trainer, but to make a very, very long story short she wasn't as good as I'd hoped she'd be. I tried using treats to distract Zoe from the cars at first, but that didn't work as well as I thought it would. She still shakes and pulls whenever we walk around the corner or go to cross the street.

I vaguely remember my Bichon Frise Esme doing something similar as a puppy, so I have a feeling it's just a matter of Zoe getting used to the sights and sounds, but I just feel bad that she's scared and would like to help her get over her fear. Esme eventually outgrew her skittishness around cars, so I'm hoping with some time and effort on my part, Zoe will too.

--Amanda

Esme: Bichon Frise. Also known as the fluff pup.
AryaStark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2014, 03:52 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

My golden was like that and with age he has gotten much better. We are now able to sit and watch cars pass, he still does not like garbage trucks, but he loves the garbage man that gives him treats I got him to be able to stand next to the truck without issue that way.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2014, 07:52 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

One thing to try is stamping you feet as you go.

Do it a little at a time and build it up. Change speeds and run a little, then try going slowly. Practice turning, crossing the road etc.

Basically start making the walk challenging and the dog will have so much stuff to think about it will stop focusing on the noise of cars.

Do realize that dogs ears are more sensitive and powerful than ours so the noise you are exposing it to may seem harsh to the dog.

Also their vision is closer to the ground than ours so they can't actually see where trafic is coming from like us.

Also check out Tyler Mutos leash techniques and place command building up to working under distraction.
Tyler Muto - YouTube
MadLab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2014, 10:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

Can you work with your pup a little farther away from the cars? If you can work with her on things far enough away from the cars that she isn't afraid, and then gradually get closer, maybe that would help.
Old 01-12-2014, 05:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

My puppy reacted to cars as well. If given the chance, he'd lunge after them too. I taught him "sit" and when I saw a car approaching, I'd stop walking (placing myself between him and the road) and ask for a sit, and then keep him in that position until the car passed us. I didn't use treats for this, because he wasn't interested in food rewards outdoors, so it was verbal praise only. Good luck - my pup eventually learned to ignore cars and doesn't want to chase them anymore either. Yay.
Blanketback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2014, 12:33 AM   #6 (permalink)

Thank you for the advice everyone, it's really helpful! I'm going to incorporate it into our walks this week.

MadLab-you know, it's funny you mention stomping one's feet as a distraction. On a whim when I was walking Zoe this morning I acted as if there were squirrels in the tree at the corner and asked her to go get them as a distraction because she gets all excited when she sees one and starts prancing because she wants to go look for them--I figured it'd be a good way to keep her mind off of the cars on the street. I felt bad about tricking her, but it worked--she was so intent on looking for a squirrel that she forgot all about the loud noises. I'll check out the YouTube link tomorrow as well, thanks for that too.

I figure she'll eventually grow out of it, but I'd like to do whatever I can to help ease her out of her fear, especially since I live right near a busy street that we need to cross when we go for walks. I'd change the route if I could, but there's no way to avoid it so I want to do what I can to make her comfortable with the noise, etc.

Esme: Bichon Frise. Also known as the fluff pup.
AryaStark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.