Help me with this biting nipping - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2014, 05:51 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Help me with this biting nipping

Hey all,
Been following this forum for a few months and finally decided to make a user name.
I have a one year 6 month old Gsd male. He is from a breeder in northern NJ. I have had him since 7 weeks old. He knows his commands, reliable, a genius. He is my third dog, I had him at petsmart as a start. Taught him there and taught him what I knew from my first two dogs.
We also had private training with a Dogtra collar 1900ncp. This device amazed me as well as the training and his eagerness to learn. I trust him 100% off leash with and without the training collar.
So, why am I writing this post? For the life of me, I can't get him to stop the unnecessary 'puppy' biting/nipping. I've done everything I could and he still hasn't grown out of it. I've tried redirecting the behaviour, giving him something to chew on, excersize, yelling.. You name it I tried. I'm at wits end. Is there anyone out there that can help me or show me how to get him to stop.
He is 95-98pounds and it's getting to the point that I'm loosing my mind.
The reason I THINK he is like this is because the breeder gave him to us at 7 weeks. He never associated that nipping hurts his playmates and he continues to do it..

Please help.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
maid90 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2014, 05:59 PM   #2 (permalink)

how much exercise does he get on a daily basis?

Nipping/biting can also be an 'attention' getter, Maybe go back to your Dogtra trainer and use it for the biting? I'm not real familiar on the uses of e collars so can't advise on that.

I would up his exercise, have a tug/toy handy and everytime he goes to nail/mouth you, shove a toy in his mouth These dogs CAN be mouthy, but working on diverting his attention to something else can lessen it.

Hopefully others will chime in with suggestions

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2014, 07:27 PM   #3 (permalink)

Puppy bites, say "ouch", he doesn't stop say "enough", he doesn't stop-say "too bad" and put in the crate for 30sec to 1minute (only, so he doesn't associate crate with punishment) then let him out, repeat EVERY time he bites.. It worked great with my puppy who drove me nearly insane.. After a while she stopped at "enough".. Good luck, message me if u have questions

Redberry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2014, 07:29 PM   #4 (permalink)

He gets about 3-4miles of exercise a day, about 2-3 of that on the treadmill since it's freezing outside.
He definitely barks and tries to pull on our clothes to get our attention though. He will only do this in the house. I know he gets bored but there isn't a toy that we found that he can't break and swallow pieces. No balls in the house because he brings it to us and demands for us to play with him he throws it in our laps and is consistant. We put this rule into affect about a year ago.
Best thing we found was a Nylebone however he still manages to chew off small pieces and swallow them

Old 01-10-2014, 07:30 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redberry View Post
Puppy bites, say "ouch", he doesn't stop say "enough", he doesn't stop-say "too bad" and put in the crate for 30sec to 1minute (only, so he doesn't associate crate with punishment) then let him out, repeat EVERY time he bites.. It worked great with my puppy who drove me nearly insane.. After a while she stopped at "enough".. Good luck, message me if u have questions

Will try this out. Never used the crate as a punishment technique. While he is in the crate should I leave the room for that one minute?

Old 01-10-2014, 08:03 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by maid90 View Post
Will try this out. Never used the crate as a punishment technique. While he is in the crate should I leave the room for that one minute?

I was concerned about that too but I guess because the time out is so short she never developed a bad association with the crate.. And yes I always got out of her sight. She usually whined so I made sure I only let her out when she didn't, usually asked her to lie down and then quickly let out..

Old 01-10-2014, 08:45 PM   #7 (permalink)

As for chews, have u tried Himalayan dog chews? They are hard but digestible and natural..

Old 01-10-2014, 08:47 PM   #8 (permalink)

It sounds like your dog wants to play with you, not just lie there and chew on something. I suggest trick training, tug, Nosework or find it games, indoor hide and seek, focused obedience... things that the dog can do with you.

David Winners

Fama - T.E.D.D. OEF XI-XII (GSD)(RET... )
Marshall - T.E.D.D. OEF XII-XIII (Lab)(SF EDD)
Lucian - Med Alert (Cane Corso)
Pud - the old man (Pit x Lab)
David Winners is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2014, 06:26 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redberry View Post
As for chews, have u tried Himalayan dog chews? They are hard but digestible and natural..

What are these? Never heard of them..

Old 01-12-2014, 01:44 AM   #10 (permalink)

http://www.petexpertise.com/dog-chew-comparison.html

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.