Teach my dog to calm down with my kids - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2014, 09:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Teach my dog to calm down with my kids

So my dog has been doing great with me and my husband. No more jumping and minimal play biting. He is a year old and we've had him for about a mth so far and his previous owner didn't teach him.

But with my kids, he gets hyped up, jumps on the and play bits. Basically reverting back to what he used to do. Why does he not do that with us adults but does it with my children? Need help with this because my kids can't interact with him so I have keep them separated which is not fair for neither of them.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
brittanyb28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2014, 09:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member

My boy Ammo had this same problem. It was like he viewed them as litter mates. We tried a lot of things to change it. The only thing that seemed to really help was having my kids turn their back to him and ignore his behavior. He would run up to bite at them and they would immediately turn around. I made them stay where they were so it didn't seem like they were running from him. It only took a couple times and he stopped all together. Since then we have not had to deal with him biting at them. Hope this helps, good luck.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:35 PM   #3 (permalink)

I will see if this helps, he is just so big and my kids aren't as big as him so he just knocks them over, then humps them on the ground. He got neutered 2 weeks ago but the vet said it could take upwards of 4 weeks to loose the testosterone in his blood. I am working with my kids to not be scared because he's not wanting to hurt them, just play.

Old 01-06-2014, 11:37 PM   #4 (permalink)

Just to add my kids are 11, 9 and 4. Blue stands as tall as my oldest when he jumps up.

Old 01-06-2014, 11:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brittanyb28 View Post
Just to add my kids are 11, 9 and 4. Blue stands as tall as my oldest when he jumps up.

Mine are 10, 8, and 2.
Old 01-07-2014, 12:07 AM   #6 (permalink)

Your kids are roughly the same age as mine (12, 8, 6). IMO, its more about training the kids than the dogs. I have gotten my kids to stop speaking in high pitched voices around the dog, which helped a lot. It seems like the higher pitched they get, the more worked up the dog gets. Another thing is I have my kids make sure to walk, not run in front of the dog. I make sure that my kids know to turn to the side and ignore Sansa if she tries to jump on them, also to say "no bite" and stand and ignore her if she gets too mouthy. It has worked really well and my dog stays relatively calm around my kids.

Last edited by Sansa's Mom; 01-07-2014 at 12:11 AM.
Sansa's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2014, 12:38 AM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sansa's Mom View Post
Y IMO, its more about training the kids than the dogs.
BINGO! Dogs listen and learn. Kids learn at a frightening pace, but listening is not a strong suit. Kids tend to be all over the place, their minds are freakishly adept at switching gears. Dogs are laser focused. The mixture of the two learning types makes for difficulties.

My advice? You know your kids better than anyone, you know your dog better than anyone. Figure out what motivates the kiddos to do what YOU tell them to do(that is not be spastic curtain crawlers when the dog is around) and watch as the dog follows suit. The dog is going to be the (hopefully) control in this experiment.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:44 AM   #8 (permalink)

Yes I will definitely try to control the environment. The kids are learning that jumping, running and getting excited in return gets the dog excited. I did have my oldest come to my dog yesterday and just stand next to him. He did knock him over and bit at him with him just standing there so I will try to get my oldest to turn his back an ignore. My four year old is terrified I the dog so I will need to work on him the most.

Old 01-07-2014, 09:47 AM   #9 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

One thing I have been doing with Beau and the new cats is first wearing him out with excercise then putting him on a place command on his dog bed. He has to learn it is normal for them to run around, play, etc and he cannot be a part of it. It seems to be helping a good bit.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2014, 09:57 AM   #10 (permalink)

You could train your kids to turn their backs and ignore, and that will work for them. But what about other children who arent trained?
My advice, train the dog that jumping up and biting is unacceptable behavior. This way, your dog wont jump up on anybody.
I simply used a few corrections when my dog jumped up on people and her behavior was corrected and she no longer jumps up on people unless I tell her it is ok (I only do this with my family members who invite her to jump up and play). I know she is excited and wants to play with everybody, but it is in the best interest of the owner and dog to not be jumping up on strangers.
Some dogs will simply grow out of this and just stop jumping up all the time, so you could just wait if you dont want to use corrections.
dpc134 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.