How to teach: No Counter Surfing - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2013, 01:50 PM   #11 (permalink)
Knighted Member

But it's too young to associate anything with anything!
Baillif is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2013, 01:55 PM   #12 (permalink)

My trainer told us to tie stuff to the items they are trying to rip down with them (they just went up there to grab things and then jumped back down). Attach soda cans with marbles or nuts or something inside so when they jump down with it, it makes a lot of noise! I personally didn't have the issue, it was someone else in my training course who asked about it

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
WGSD Nikko is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2013, 01:55 PM   #13 (permalink)
Knighted Member

If you go the nag route that's exactly what happens. Takes forever for them to learn it. Stuff like that I generally ouch correct to the temperament of the pup.
Old 12-08-2013, 01:59 PM   #14 (permalink)

Ok. You're right we should just "nail them hard" every time they do something we don't like, starting at a young age. I'm sure that will be best since you said so.
newtexas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2013, 02:00 PM   #15 (permalink)

Nag method is also called patience.
newtexas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2013, 02:05 PM   #16 (permalink)
Knighted Member

First of all I "nail them" for very few things. This just happens to be one of them. The behavior is taught to be bad first then the pressure is turned on unless it is the first incidence of the behavior caught for the first time then it is just stopped then and there. I wouldn't even allow a puppy this age to get anywhere near a counter they could potentially get something off of. They should be heavily managed so that this never becomes a problem until they are older. A 15 weeker should be tethered under 100% observation or in a crate.
Old 12-08-2013, 02:07 PM   #17 (permalink)
Elite Member

I mean, yes it took awhile for my puppy to understand that she shouldn't go on the counter, but she's a year old now and wouldn't dare. All the repetitions of when she was a pup "get off, sit", yesterday I had raw chicken right on the edge and she sat next to the counter and stared at me instead of just swiping it. She's never touched something since she was a baby.

I'm sure you can get similar results with the e collar and if I had a problem now, yeah, I'd use hers to correct it but only because she knows what behavior is supposed to happen - 4 on the floor, but I think it's unnecessary when they are babies, at that stage I focused on teaching what TO do (sit) vs what not to do

I don't think you are wrong for correcting it though. Even a stim of just vibration would probably be enough to get a pup to quit, I just think that if OP is opposed to that method, definitely can get success with another one too and I don't want this thread turning into people bashing Baillif
Old 12-08-2013, 02:13 PM   #18 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Can totally understand why you did it and there is nothing wrong with that. I sport train so at that age I'm using food and training time for sport related behaviors. I generally refrain from any pressure on the pups or negative reinforcement if it can be avoided till 5-7 months depending on the dog. Everything is done motivationaly up to that point. I teach them pedal to the metal before I ever try to put control on them in lots of areas.

This means I don't want to be teaching crap like don't dig in the trash, don't jump on counters, don't tackle the cat, don't chew on the furniture, don't dig a hole in the floor. That is what crates and leashes are for. You want to stop them from ever finding value in that kind of thing. If it is there though and it needs to be stopped, it really depends on what the behavior is as to how I approach it. If it could effect a potential sport behavior I'm going to generally find a positive way to do it. If it is something like jumping on a counter to grab food and it doesn't effect the work it gets stopped quick. Younger the better because you don't have to be as harsh as you would a full grown full of spunk dog. The longer you allow a dog to continue a behavior the more stress you produce trying to stop it.

Last edited by Baillif; 12-08-2013 at 02:19 PM.
Old 12-08-2013, 02:27 PM   #19 (permalink)
Elite Member

No one is bashing Baillif. Just one person who has nothing insightful to add and has their panties in a bunch.

Baillif gave a bunch of suggestions and not just one. I agree that once the dog has countered surfed and found something to eat then it's harder to get rid of the behavior. Since this was posted in the training section instead of the regular puppy training section I'd assume it's an adult. If not then the op posted in the wrong place.

You can leave a piece of steak at the edge of the table and your dog looking at you doesn't mean anything. Leave that same steak and then leave the house and come back to see what happens. Correcting with the prong is like slapping a kid on the hand. An ecollar is like a kid touching a hot stove. Touch it once or twice and not only will the kid learn to stay away from it but would be cautious of approaching it. Also no one made the kid touch the stove. It was his choice and his choice lead to him getting burned. When your dog chooses to jump up on the counter, it gets a shock. After 1 or 2 shocks it'll choose to just not touch the counter. Even if you leave steak out the dog will think twice and be very cautious. I leave all kinds of food (even his food and treats) at eye level for my dog and he doesn't touch it even when no one is home. I'd rather the dog make its own choice instead of waiting to do it but is afraid of being yelled at or punished.
boomer11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2013, 02:56 PM   #20 (permalink)
Master Member

First of all, I thought this was the correct place to put my post. Next time I will place it in puppy behavior - sorry for that. Yes, Bailiff does know how old my dog/puppy is. I know they are puppies for a long time but most of the people posting in puppy behavior aren't posting about counter surfing because their puppies are tiny. Now that my pup is big enough to jump up and grab stuff off the counter, I thought it'd be appropriate to ask here.
I have been taking a lot of Bailiff's advice lately and it has all worked thus far but I wanted it public rather than PM to see what other people are doing.
While I agree that optimally it would be best to either have him tethered to me or in a crate, it does not work well for me here with another dog and three small children running around. I feel bad leaving him in the crate all the time. He is in there when I can't watch him 100% but I'm always in the same room as him. Our kitchen and livingroom are connected with no wall. While I was making dinner last night, Yogi was running around the island and suddenly stopped and sidled up to me, proceeded to jump placing his paws on the counter. I gave him a firm no, placed him into a down and proceeded to ignore him. He did it again and so I did the same thing but then placed him in his crate while I resumed dinner. This morning while making breakfast he jumped up again. I grabbed his scruff, said no firmly and made eye contact with him. He immediately sat. I told him "Yogi look at me" and as soon as eye contact was made I told him "OFF!" (that is what I have been using for when he jumps on people, he knows it well). I'm not sure I am doing this right. He's not scared of me or anything after scruffing him. That is the second time I've done that. The first time was because he bit the back of my leg, leaving a four inch gash...which drew a lot of blood.
I will take the back"nag" approach for now but once he turns six months I may try the stim collar if he is still testing the counter rule. Does that sound fair? I think it does but I don't know. I feel like I'm way over my head today. He is really trying my patience the last few days. I'm doing my best here. Be patient with me please.

*-*Summer*-*
SummerGSDLover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.