Housetraining a 6 year old GSD - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2013, 09:51 AM   #1 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 8
Default Housetraining a 6 year old GSD

I recently adopted from the shelter a 6 year old German Shepherd (estimated age) 4 days ago.

I live in an apartment with a large patio. I have been trying to get him to go out to the patio with treats but he doesn't like going there for some reason.

I give him his dog food 3x a day. He gets it once in the morning with a walk immediately after, then around 5ish and a walk immediately after, and then around 8 with another walk. He gets 3-5 walks a day. He has never urinated in my apartment but he did **** a few times.

I'm going to start crate training him when I am not at home (roughly 8-5). At night he has never had an accident because I shut the door in my room, and have blankets right next to me where he sleeps each night.

My question is, how long should I crate train for?

Should I crate train him at all even when I am at home?

When I have caught him ****ting at home, I shout out an immediate no, and take him outside.

I'm also hoping the crate training would help with separation anxiety. Whenever I have left the house, he pounds on the glass patio door.

Also (yes I know this is bad timing), a family emergency came up and I need to see my family for a week which is a few hours away (he is great in the car). This is from Friday the 11th at night until Sunday October 20th at night. Should I take him with me (my parents have 3 GSD), or have him get boarded for the week? I will do what is best for the dog for that week $ no object!! I want him to have a good life!
112233 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-05-2013, 10:01 AM   #2 (permalink)
The Rescues Rule Administrator
 
JeanKBBMMMAAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 23,794
Default

You may have noticed that some of the things you typed didn't show - so welcome to the board and review the rules you signed off on when signing up!

Thanks for adopting a shelter dog - a 6 year old to boot!

8-5 (not sure if those are work hours or if travel time is also in there) can be a long time for a dog without a break - I am wondering if you are able to come home at lunch, have a trusted/dog savvy person to help, or hire a walker/sitter 1x a day. The crate may make the anxiety worse - I would test it out a bit first.

For the poop, take what he does outside and let him see where you want him to go. Keep putting the poop out. Just calmly - no big deal, and start to reward him for pooping outside - you will need to fade that over time, but for now, things are new, so he needs to know what is good in order to do it.

Good that he's not urinating!

I would board a dog in a trusted facility rather than go to a situation of emergency with a new dog and 3 other dogs, as a new dog owner.

Congrats again!
__________________
IMOM is...
JeanKBBMMMAAN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2013, 10:07 AM   #3 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 8
Default

Oops sorry about the term I used for feces!

Those hours include travel time and errands. I leave for work at 8 and work ends at 3:30 (I try to leave at 3:30 on the dot whenever possible!). I would say every other day I do errands from 3:30 not arriving home until 5.

Whenever he pees and poops outside I give an immediate good boy, and give him a little treat if he poops.

My lunch break is only 30 minutes. I could probably get it to 45 though without anyone knowing. I live 15 minutes from work.

I can look into paying someone midday during the week.


Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanKBBMMMAAN View Post
You may have noticed that some of the things you typed didn't show - so welcome to the board and review the rules you signed off on when signing up!

Thanks for adopting a shelter dog - a 6 year old to boot!

8-5 (not sure if those are work hours or if travel time is also in there) can be a long time for a dog without a break - I am wondering if you are able to come home at lunch, have a trusted/dog savvy person to help, or hire a walker/sitter 1x a day. The crate may make the anxiety worse - I would test it out a bit first.

For the poop, take what he does outside and let him see where you want him to go. Keep putting the poop out. Just calmly - no big deal, and start to reward him for pooping outside - you will need to fade that over time, but for now, things are new, so he needs to know what is good in order to do it.

Good that he's not urinating!

I would board a dog in a trusted facility rather than go to a situation of emergency with a new dog and 3 other dogs, as a new dog owner.

Congrats again!
112233 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2013, 10:15 AM   #4 (permalink)
The Rescues Rule Administrator
 
JeanKBBMMMAAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 23,794
Default

No problem!

This is what I would do - come home at 3:30, do stuff with the dog, tire him out, go out and do errands. When I got my first dog, I read How to Be Your Dog's Best Friend - I don't even know if it's a good book anymore, but I remember it saying how now your schedule revolves around the dog. On days it's not possible, get a really good person to help you out.

Yep, keep doing that - I talk to the dog about what I want - hey, let's poop out here, kind of thing. They really are confused - when they are in a smaller area, they don't want to mess it, like in your bedroom - or if they don't NEED to do it and can hold it - but smart dogs will poop in the house if they need to go and don't know how to ask, have enough room to do it, etc. Using bells on the door to help him tell you helps too.

I do a potty schedule, and the dogs seem to respond well to that - but it's great for them to be able to come get you when they have to go, and that will come with time. I have an 11.5 yo GSD who is still weird about telling me - she will stare and walk, but is not pushy enough to nudge or paw. Every once in a while at night, she will stare and walk, and I am sleeping, and she's like, well, guess I just need to go....noooooooo! But now, my BC/Chow mix is getting me for her!!! I have a service dog! YAY!
__________________
IMOM is...
JeanKBBMMMAAN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2013, 10:20 AM   #5 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 8
Default

I'm an idiot. I never thought about coming straight home at 3:30 to spend time with the dog and then going out to do errands. Should I then put him back in the crate while I do errands?

Unfortunately I have no trusted person here. I relocated to a new city at the beginning of August and have no one here

How long should I crate train for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanKBBMMMAAN View Post
No problem!

This is what I would do - come home at 3:30, do stuff with the dog, tire him out, go out and do errands. When I got my first dog, I read How to Be Your Dog's Best Friend - I don't even know if it's a good book anymore, but I remember it saying how now your schedule revolves around the dog. On days it's not possible, get a really good person to help you out.

Yep, keep doing that - I talk to the dog about what I want - hey, let's poop out here, kind of thing. They really are confused - when they are in a smaller area, they don't want to mess it, like in your bedroom - or if they don't NEED to do it and can hold it - but smart dogs will poop in the house if they need to go and don't know how to ask, have enough room to do it, etc. Using bells on the door to help him tell you helps too.

I do a potty schedule, and the dogs seem to respond well to that - but it's great for them to be able to come get you when they have to go, and that will come with time. I have an 11.5 yo GSD who is still weird about telling me - she will stare and walk, but is not pushy enough to nudge or paw. Every once in a while at night, she will stare and walk, and I am sleeping, and she's like, well, guess I just need to go....noooooooo! But now, my BC/Chow mix is getting me for her!!! I have a service dog! YAY!
112233 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2013, 10:34 AM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member
 
Stevenzachsmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 4,175
Default

Is there a reason you are feeding him 3 times a day? I feed my personal and foster dogs twice a day - morning and between 3:30 and 4:00. This gives them plenty of time to finish up before bedtime. Neither has accidents. How much are you feeding? The GSD here gets 3 cups of kibble - 1 1/2 cups each meal. He poos 2 or 3 times a day.

I agree it would be unwise to take him on the road trip at this time. Is there anyone you trust to be a house/pet sitter for you? I have done this the past few years for my pets. I LOVE it. My pets get to stay home. No change in environment or routine. Someone is there all night. Just a thought.
__________________
Jan
Natty Boh 6-27-12
Annie 1998 - 8-2-12 RIP
Stevenzachsmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2013, 10:38 AM   #7 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevenzachsmom View Post
Is there a reason you are feeding him 3 times a day? I feed my personal and foster dogs twice a day - morning and between 3:30 and 4:00. This gives them plenty of time to finish up before bedtime. Neither has accidents. How much are you feeding? The GSD here gets 3 cups of kibble - 1 1/2 cups each meal. He poos 2 or 3 times a day.

I agree it would be unwise to take him on the road trip at this time. Is there anyone you trust to be a house/pet sitter for you? I have done this the past few years for my pets. I LOVE it. My pets get to stay home. No change in environment or routine. Someone is there all night. Just a thought.
I'm feeding him 3x a day because he is underweight. I do the same amount of kibble as you.

Like I said before, I am new to the area and don't know 1 person here yet. I don't think I feel comfortable letting a stranger stay in my home yet.
112233 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2013, 06:22 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member
 
Stevenzachsmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 4,175
Default

Sorry, I missed that. But...do you have a community association or anything like that? Church group? Co-worker references? I'm just asking, because that's how we get a lot of referrals in our neighborhood - dog walker, pet sitters, baby sitters, etc. References are good.

My daughters house and pet sit. They are college students. They never need to advertise. They get more work than they can handle.

Your boy will be fine in boarding for a week. Sorry about your family emergency. Thank you for saving him. He is a lucky boy.
__________________
Jan
Natty Boh 6-27-12
Annie 1998 - 8-2-12 RIP
Stevenzachsmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2013, 07:45 PM   #9 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevenzachsmom View Post
Sorry, I missed that. But...do you have a community association or anything like that? Church group? Co-worker references? I'm just asking, because that's how we get a lot of referrals in our neighborhood - dog walker, pet sitters, baby sitters, etc. References are good.

My daughters house and pet sit. They are college students. They never need to advertise. They get more work than they can handle.

Your boy will be fine in boarding for a week. Sorry about your family emergency. Thank you for saving him. He is a lucky boy.
I will ask coworkers. Today I bought him a crate off CL for $50 and asked for a recommendation from the people. They just board.

I found someone on CL who works at a popular animal hospital here. I'm meeting her tomorrow to see if she is normal.
112233 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2013, 08:58 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master Member
 
Kaimeju's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Washington
Posts: 669
Default

This method of crate training worked really well for my dog:

http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/virtua...crate-training

It is done over the course of a weekend so your dog can adjust.

What we did was crate at first and then start leaving her out for half the day (I have a long lunch break) and finally a full day. We would not increase the amount of time she was left out unless she was flawless about going outside (however she appeared to be housetrained, so that was easy). I agree that leaving him in just one room might make it easier for him to hold it, especially if he sleeps there.


Sent from Petguide.com Free App
__________________
Gypsy Rose Lee
Kaimeju is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:04 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
PetGuide.com
Basset.net DobermanTalk.com GoldenRetrieverForum.com OurBeagleWorld.com
BoxerForums.com DogForums.com GoPitbull.com PoodleForum.com
BulldogBreeds.com FishForums.com HavaneseForum.com SpoiledMaltese.com
CatForum.com GermanShepherds.com Labradoodle-dogs.net YorkieForum.com
Chihuahua-People.com RetrieverBreeds.com