Ohhh, the whining! How much is allowed for CGC? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2013, 03:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
Elite Member

Default Ohhh, the whining! How much is allowed for CGC?

Max is one year old now. He has taken many, many OB classes, dock diving, agility , etc. Now we are taking a class for the CGC. He is a superstar at all the criteria, EXCEPT of course, the supervised separation.

He doesnt freak out, just whines and stares at the door. Bless his heart! All the other dogs, well, I am not sure they even realize that their owner left or that a different handler is with them. Pretty sure that facet of behavior is bred out of golden-doodles!! (sorry, hope I didnot offend anyone)

I have some ideas to help him, and we are working on it. Not sure if this will be fixed by the test date..two weeks. How much whining is allowed and do they give some extra leeway for german whiners?

Just really looking for some hand-holding here!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2013, 03:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

They are allowed to be vocal, but I don't know how much. My trainer seen how my dog was with me and we decided that it would be much easier if my son did the test with her and she passed with flying colors. I doubt she would have passed that part if it was me leaving the area.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2013, 03:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Mine would fail the brushing part
Old 02-17-2013, 03:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

we had a whiner in one of our tests that i assisted with. The owner stepped out of the area TOWARDS the door so the dog kind of panicked that he was being left behind. We reversed the positioning so I took the dog out where he couldnt see his owner and the owner stayed in the area. It worked. They passed the test and decided to take the course again to further cement the desired behaviors but work more heavily on the supervised seperation portion. If your evaluator is willing to give it a shot, perhaps the above is a good way to do it.
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus CA 3/18/2013
Zena GSD 6/1/03
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013
KZoppa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2013, 03:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflowers View Post
Mine would fail the brushing part

I got bit by a dog during the brushing part . He had no business taking the test at all because he was fear aggressive but he was entitled to take the test as it was included in the cost of the class. I just sat on the floor and ignored him and the minute he saw the brush, he went after me. Didn't move fast enough and he caught my wrist.
Zena GSD 6/1/03
Old 02-17-2013, 03:28 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KZoppa View Post
we had a whiner in one of our tests that i assisted with. The owner stepped out of the area TOWARDS the door so the dog kind of panicked that he was being left behind. We reversed the positioning so I took the dog out where he couldnt see his owner and the owner stayed in the area. It worked. They passed the test and decided to take the course again to further cement the desired behaviors but work more heavily on the supervised seperation portion. If your evaluator is willing to give it a shot, perhaps the above is a good way to do it.
This was how the supervised separation for our test was structured as well - my pup was led away from me by a friendly stranger. We also practiced it as an extended down-stay, asking the stranger not to interact with him, which worked really well (and wouldn't be a problem in the actual test, as I was told). We started out in very short increments, praised/treated for quiet/calm behavior, and built up to the 3 minutes required for the test.
Old 02-17-2013, 03:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonadeicedtea View Post
This was how the supervised separation for our test was structured as well - my pup was led away from me by a friendly stranger. We also practiced it as an extended down-stay, asking the stranger not to interact with him, which worked really well (and wouldn't be a problem in the actual test, as I was told). We started out in very short increments, praised/treated for quiet/calm behavior, and built up to the 3 minutes required for the test.

yup. The most I was allowed to do was tell the dog they were good and then just stand there calmly. It really helped because the dog realized that he'd see if the owner left and he just sat calmly watching everything else.
Zena GSD 6/1/03
Old 02-17-2013, 03:56 PM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

Finn is a big talker. The trainer we are working with is one of two evaluators for the CGC test and his comment was, as long as Finn doesn't seem stressed out, they usually chalk it up to being talkative. I know we have a choice; we can leave the dog and walk away ourselves, or the handler takes the dog and walks away. I like the handler taking the dog and leaving because, IMHO, the dog figures Well, if mom is giving my leash up and letting me go with them, it must not be that bad. Even the trainer prefers the dog/handler walk away versus the owner leaving the dog.

Finnian The Irish Lad WGSD: SAR
Abeni the Little Warrior: Pomeranian rescue.

"Res nos operor ut alius algo"
"Go mairidís beo"
Shaolin is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2013, 05:45 PM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

I think some whining is allowed. Kaiser would fail this portion of the test, hands-down.

Pookie, Papillon 4/17/09
Kaiser, GSD 4/14/11
Verivus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2013, 06:46 PM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

Is having the your dog led away by the friendly stranger an option? Because he would do way better that way. Probably still whine tho!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.