Raising a GSD puppy around 2 untrained dogs - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2013, 05:33 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Raising a GSD puppy around 2 untrained dogs

I have a chihuahua and a mini aussie. They get away with a lot of things that I will not allow my GSD to. In fact they haven't been formally trained. I am just not learning how to train a dog and am not going to make any mistakes with the new puppy. They are potty trained, but they get up on couches. They don't know much beyond, sit, come stay. If the GSD sees them doing something, he will automatically assume it's okay for him to do something I suppose. What would you recommend I do?

Thanks
Wil
whorneff310 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2013, 05:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whorneff310 View Post
I have a chihuahua and a mini aussie. They get away with a lot of things that I will not allow my GSD to. In fact they haven't been formally trained. I am just not learning how to train a dog and am not going to make any mistakes with the new puppy. They are potty trained, but they get up on couches. If the GSD sees them doing something, he will automatically assume it's okay for him to do something I suppose. What would you recommend I do?
Hire a trainer to help you work with all dogs.
wolfy dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2013, 08:43 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks I'm searching for one.
Old 02-11-2013, 02:40 AM   #4 (permalink)

With 3 dogs you officially have a pack. It is grossly unfair to have rules for one dog but not the other two. It will not make for a balanced situation. Get the help of a trainer so all dogs know what is expected of them and all the rules that must be enforced equally. Just because the new dog is a puppy and you will be starting fresh and new with a moldable youngster to train does not mean the other dogs are not trainable. Dogs like having rules and continuity in their lives. It makes for a happy household. Why do you feel you will be able to train a new GSD puppy when the other dogs were not trained prior to getting the gsd? Just curious because you say you are not going to "learn how to train a dog" but you will a pup. I hate to break it to you but training a GSD pup is harder than training an adult dog. You will be frustrated as puppies have very short attention spans and will try your every last nerve. I am very perplexed why anyone would say they will not train their adult dogs because they are "dogs" as you put it but they will train a "puppy." Not fair or responsible to any of them. What happens when your pup becomes a "dog???" When you own a puppy or dog, it takes continual and very regular (as in daily) training for LIFE not just on a whim. They don't just learn things, remember and never need reinforcement and conditioning afterwards. Sorry if this sounds harsh but the way your post is written, it just strikes a major nerve that you have gotten a puppy that you believe is worthy of "training" and your adult dogs, apparently... are not.

Last edited by kam214; 02-11-2013 at 02:49 AM.
kam214 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2013, 02:59 AM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

train all three. enforce training. train seperately until they're all solid on the training individually. Practice sessions of training together. Enforce training. If you say sit and one doesnt listen, enforce it.
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus CA 3/18/2013
Zena GSD 6/1/03
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013
KZoppa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2013, 10:20 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kam214 View Post
With 3 dogs you officially have a pack. It is grossly unfair to have rules for one dog but not the other two. It will not make for a balanced situation. Get the help of a trainer so all dogs know what is expected of them and all the rules that must be enforced equally. Just because the new dog is a puppy and you will be starting fresh and new with a moldable youngster to train does not mean the other dogs are not trainable. Dogs like having rules and continuity in their lives. It makes for a happy household. Why do you feel you will be able to train a new GSD puppy when the other dogs were not trained prior to getting the gsd? Just curious because you say you are not going to "learn how to train a dog" but you will a pup. I hate to break it to you but training a GSD pup is harder than training an adult dog. You will be frustrated as puppies have very short attention spans and will try your every last nerve. I am very perplexed why anyone would say they will not train their adult dogs because they are "dogs" as you put it but they will train a "puppy." Not fair or responsible to any of them. What happens when your pup becomes a "dog???" When you own a puppy or dog, it takes continual and very regular (as in daily) training for LIFE not just on a whim. They don't just learn things, remember and never need reinforcement and conditioning afterwards. Sorry if this sounds harsh but the way your post is written, it just strikes a major nerve that you have gotten a puppy that you believe is worthy of "training" and your adult dogs, apparently... are not.

Sorry that was a typo "not" should say "now." I have edited it. The other dogs are potty trained and do basic things such as come, stay, down, roll over, but they get up on the couches and that's not something I want the GSD doing. Thanks for the advice
Old 05-07-2013, 04:09 PM   #7 (permalink)

Just reading this.. And curious as I'm in the same situation... But I have a ship tZu and EB... I've been told they aren't trainable dogs and I know that sounds stupid... But what if they can't be trained? I mean by all means they aren't wild still listen to me go to their crate but come command and so on that we'd want to teach gsd they wouldn't really do that. So in this situation is it still unfair? And can it still be done the training of the gsd?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Old 05-07-2013, 04:24 PM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

I have a shih tzu .. he is VERY smart. They are a little stubborn but the ones I've seen love high value treats and you can pretty much teach them anything in the book with a little bribery. Mine knows the names of different toys, the names of different rooms ... a zillion different words for 'get outta my way a'fore I step on ya'.

Dogs will do what you require them to do .. your dogs don't do some things .. because they don't have to and get away with it. *shrug*
Galathiel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2013, 04:26 PM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I am going through this situation right now. My smaller dog is being trained to touch and other commands i never taught him by watching me train the gsd puppy. The other day I was teaching our gsd puppy to "touch", i had treats and was moving my hand around and treating gsd everytime he touched. Next thing i know i feel a wet nose on my other hand, it was my 5 yr old maltipoo. He was touching so he could get a treat. He has also learned how to fetch last week by watching me train the gsd puppy to fetch. However in all fairness none of my dogs get toys or special treats with out listening and no one is allowed on the human couch. As for my shih tzu she is stubborn but does listen and learns very fast. They are not dumb, she learned how to roll over after my son rolled over on the floor first.

Last edited by Msmaria; 05-07-2013 at 04:29 PM.
Msmaria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2013, 04:34 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galathiel View Post
I have a shih tzu .. he is VERY smart. They are a little stubborn but the ones I've seen love high value treats and you can pretty much teach them anything in the book with a little bribery. Mine knows the names of different toys, the names of different rooms ... a zillion different words for 'get outta my way a'fore I step on ya'.

Dogs will do what you require them to do .. your dogs don't do some things .. because they don't have to and get away with it. *shrug*
Ok yea mine does listen and is stubborn it's really only the EB that won't train.. He doesn't listen to anything.. I'm mainly worried about him.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.