Question about off-leash casual walking - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member
 
Anthony8858's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,806
Question about off-leash casual walking

A few days ago, I started working on teaching Kira off leash walking. It's a simple side heel (not a tight heel). One of the things I need, is the proper "correction" or "command" for when she drifts apart a bit, or walks ahead.

Today, we walked the entire trail, off leash (about a mile). She stayed next to me, and when she began to drift, I used a command she was familiar with "closer" or "ah-ah". Every time she would drift, I would say "closer" or ah-ah, and she would look up at me, and tighten up into a side position. I'm not satisfied with the command, but very happy at her response so far.

We passed stray cats, squirrels, and (her favorite chase, ..geese). She never moved. I was very happy with her. This is something we could perfect.

I would like a specific command that's typically used for this exercise.
Anthony8858 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 10:45 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Jenkintown,Pa.
Posts: 15,199
if "closer" or "ah-ah" is working what's wrong with that? i use "over here"
or "hey, over here" or "Loki, right here" as i pat my leg. my dog heels
on either side with or without a leash. when i want him to switch sides
i say "other side". it doesn't matter which side he's on. when i say
"switch sides" he changes sides.

i don't know of a specific command for your exercise but i don't think
it matters what you say as long as Kira responds appropriately.

Last edited by doggiedad; 01-30-2013 at 10:48 PM.
doggiedad is offline  
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 10:46 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator
 
Cassidy's Mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 30,671
Use whatever command makes sense to you, it really doesn't matter what word you use.

-Debbie-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cassidy's Mom is offline  
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 10:48 PM
Member
 
Bigdogsolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Hill Country of Texas
Posts: 82
Seems like you have your command. You said it , she reacts in the manner you want! Sometimes simple is best

Ciao for Now!

"BigDogSolo"
Maja's Muse
Bigdogsolo is offline  
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 10:50 PM
Crowned Member
 
llombardo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Illinois
Posts: 12,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony8858 View Post
A few days ago, I started working on teaching Kira off leash walking. It's a simple side heel (not a tight heel). One of the things I need, is the proper "correction" or "command" for when she drifts apart a bit, or walks ahead.

Today, we walked the entire trail, off leash (about a mile). She stayed next to me, and when she began to drift, I used a command she was familiar with "closer" or "ah-ah". Every time she would drift, I would say "closer" or ah-ah, and she would look up at me, and tighten up into a side position. I'm not satisfied with the command, but very happy at her response so far.

We passed stray cats, squirrels, and (her favorite chase, ..geese). She never moved. I was very happy with her. This is something we could perfect.

I would like a specific command that's typically used for this exercise.
Pick one of those and use it. It works, don't confuse her. I use "With Me" and it works fine.

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
llombardo is offline  
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 10:50 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member
 
Anthony8858's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,806
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiedad View Post
if "closer" or "ah-ah" is working what's wrong with that? i use "over here"
or "hey, over here" or "Loki, right here" as i pat my leg. my dog heels
on either side with or without a leash. when i want him to switch sides
i say "other side". it doesn't matter which side he's on. when i say
"switch sides" he changes sides.

i don't know of a specific command for your exercise but i don't think
it matters what you say as long as Kira responds appropriately.
This is the answer I was looking for. I tend to over think these things

I had a concern about mixing commands for different exercises.

Thanks all.

Last edited by Anthony8858; 01-30-2013 at 10:57 PM.
Anthony8858 is offline  
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 11:23 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Jenkintown,Pa.
Posts: 15,199
different exercises different commands ( i guess ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony8858 View Post
This is the answer I was looking for. I tend to over think these things

>>>>> I had a concern about mixing commands for different exercises.<<<<<

Thanks all.
doggiedad is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome