Huh? Duh.... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2013, 11:55 AM   #1 (permalink)
Elite Member

Default Huh? Duh....

How can I get faster obedience when I say "platz?. Lately Stella just looks at me when I say platz....like I am speaking a foreign language (well, tecnically I guess I am) I could use a quicker response to other commands as well. She was doing good with a decent response time up until just recently. Now she just looks at me. Eventually she will lie down, but in her own good time.
katdog5911 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2013, 12:33 PM   #2 (permalink)

Hmm. Do use a reward system?

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Jovi_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2013, 02:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Any chance you keep repeating the same command over and over? I use to do that until our trainer pointed out ever so tackfully (NOT! ) that the command was: Sit, not:
"Harley sit... sit... come on sit,...sigh, sit,...waving hand giving hand signal, sit,...sit..."

That was the same day the trainer taught me to say the command once and give a correction if Harley didn't respond. (because he already knew what sit meant) Correction wasn't phsically abusive. If he was laying down I slid my foot into his front paws, made him jump up to a sit. If he was standing I took one step towards him and pulled up on the leash, down he went into a sit. Other option was to hold a treat over his head, that also brought him to a sitting position. (he was young at the time) In all cases, I couldn't repeat the command more than once. No idea if any of this was politically correct, but it worked.

What does your trainer say?
Whiteshepherds is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2013, 02:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

I only say it once. Then we look at each other. She knows what it means. I can of course lure her down but I don't feel she should need a lure anymore. So I guess a correction is in order. What would be an appropriate one to use if she doesn't platz quick enough. Oh and it has nothing to do with distractions. She is doing this even in the house.
Old 01-13-2013, 05:06 PM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to zivagirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by katdog5911 View Post
I only say it once. Then we look at each other. She knows what it means. I can of course lure her down but I don't feel she should need a lure anymore. So I guess a correction is in order. What would be an appropriate one to use if she doesn't platz quick enough. Oh and it has nothing to do with distractions. She is doing this even in the house.
Sometimes 'lather, rinse and REPEAT' is necessary. If whatyou're doing now isn't working, it's time to change your position. Don't think of it as your dog's getting one over on you, but more as a refresher course. At some point, she has determined that she doesn't 'really' need to obey.

Your mileage may vary.
zivagirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2013, 05:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Are you doing some drive building before you begin the session? I find if I have a toy and get the dog excited with tug then begin, we have more enthusiasm. Food is great for teaching positions, but toys are best for keeping the engagement and enthusiasm. After giving a correction, it's good to get the dog back in drive before you begin again.
Look on Bridget's website for video clips or friend her on fb, many more vids there.

Last edited by onyx'girl; 01-13-2013 at 05:15 PM.
onyx'girl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2013, 05:18 PM   #7 (permalink)

How old is she? Sometimes as puppies mature into dogs they go through phases where they seem to totally forget what they used to be rock solid on.

Like Jane said - it really helps to build up the drive (excitement) for obedience.

Mauser absolutely goes CRAZY for tennis balls. I use a ball for almost all his training. I have a TB on a string and I swing it around and get him all hyped up then I give him the command. He has learned that the faster he obeys the faster he gets his ball.

When I'm first training a behavior I use the reward as a lure to get them into the position I want.
Chimanes Spice it Up Piquin (Kaynya) - Chinese Crested
Nator von Triton HIC CGC (Mauser) - LC GSD
Piquins Some Like it Hot (Spike) Chinese Crested
Piquins Too Hot To Handle - (Fuego) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Wasabi (Sabi) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Super Hot (Clark) - Chinese Crested
Banzai, Cloe, Mocha - Felines Extraordinaire
Neke, Tessa, Remi, Sadie, Riggs, Sasha, Tazer - DK, Mozart, Zoe - Gone but not forgotten
Lauri & The Gang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2013, 05:41 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master Member

How old is this dog?

And how was this exercise taught?

What do you do when your dog FINALLY responds? Reward? what and how?

I don't stand around and wait for the dog to respond. Dog hears the command, and there should be a response. If not, then "assist", where the assist is determined by the basic temperament of the dog and how well your dog understands the command. This is definitely NOT a one size fits all situation.

The dog should be in drive FIRST.....but that's no excuse for not complying.
PAM FGDCh Ianna von Sontausen UDX,BH,TD,RE,PT (4.26.1998 - 2.11.2013)
DunRingill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2013, 05:45 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master Member

I'm working this same thing right now with Frank for our Drop on recall in the open ring.
What I did is start with him walking next to me I say "Down" if he doesn't instantly down I correct with a pop down ward on the leash, as soon as he downs I treat and praise, He picked up really fast that the faster he down'd the faster the treat came and no correction, from walking I gradually moved up to him running next to me same thing, being next to him puts me in a good spot to correct or treat as needed. It's really helped his reaction time to the command. Now we've moved on to off lead (with just a pull tab) and he downs while I keep walking. Next step is him downing when running towards me. Baby steps all the way but consistent on only 1 command and instant correction or treat as needed.
When I say treat I do not mean luring him down in anyway, he downs fast, I treat fast.
I also never totally wean off of treats or rewards when a dog does a command, I know some say you should, and I do space the treats out further and further as the dog is trained, but I still surprise them with treats now and then even if it's just the fact that they sit quietly when I come into a room, everyone needs praise for doing a good job even if it's a routine thing. I feel like it helps keep their manners sharp.
How Old is your dog?
Rowdy (MyHearts Red Treasure) Australian Shepherd
Franksmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2013, 06:46 PM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

Stella will be 19 months in 4 days. I don't know what the heck is going on. Today it took me almost an HOUR to get her into the house from the yard. She didn't care to come in, so she didn't. Needless to say I am not happy.
I agree that obedience is better when she is pumped up but sometimes I just want obedience without having to play a game! Or lure her with a treat! I am getting tired of feeling like a vending machine. I certainly am fine with treats when she is first learning a behavior but at some point I would like her to just obey. Not saying she will never get a treat again, but Platz, sit etc is basic stuff that she knows. What good is all the training if it doesn't translate into real situations?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.