German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   How do I (teach my dog to)? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/how-do-i-teach-my-dog/)
-   -   Female litter mates, 13 mos starting to fight (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/how-do-i-teach-my-dog/196278-female-litter-mates-13-mos-starting-fight.html)

Dotty 12-13-2012 10:18 AM

Female litter mates, 13 mos starting to fight

Disclaimer-I know now that it was a bad idea to get these monsters as litter mates, I got them out of grief and wasn't thinking clearly.

They get along quite well, some spats here and there. Now we have had a couple of serious fights. They compete with each other quite a bit. When I started reading up on it, they are doing all the typical things to dominate each other.

When they start, what is the best way to handle it? What is allowed and what isn't?

Thanks in advance

robk 12-13-2012 10:44 AM

Just out of curiosity, are they still intact? I had a couple of female litter mates that never fought. They got along for their entire lives. I had them spayed at 5 months old (I did not know better at the time, was advised to do that by my vet).

LoveEcho 12-13-2012 10:46 AM

Unfortunately, when litter mates fight it tends to only go downhill.
http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...ggression.html

There are dozens of threads on this. Most breeders will not sell littermates together, especially females, for this reason... google "littermate syndrome".

Spay them if they're not already, and keep them separate. Frequently the advice given is to re-home one... neither will flourish while both are there, competing with each other, and unless constant management is practiced it could get very, very ugly.

How were they raised? Was time away from each other emphasized?

What do you mean by what is allowed?

msvette2u 12-13-2012 10:47 AM

1) spay them if not already
2) crate/rotate so they never cross each other's paths.
3) rehome one if you can't do that

Dotty 12-13-2012 10:59 AM

They are spayed.
One was for our 21 year old daughter, but the dog is s handful, they are both reactive. So Ellie was too much and came to live with us. They are able to spend time apart but not much.

What kind of interaction is healthy? That is what I meant, I assume I just crate one when it is getting tense.
They do love each other and play well together, but I do see things becoming more serious.

Dotty 12-13-2012 11:02 AM

Does it ever work out?

They can not be walked together under any circumstances. They are nuts

Mrs.K 12-13-2012 11:07 AM

I have three bitches. All three of them are quite drivey, powerful and all three are dominant dogs. They weren't littermates but they compete with each other all the time.

In the house, no issues at all. However, I got them used to a nylon muzzle and that nylon muzzle is a god sent. It became a necessity with a Mal because she doesn't know how strong she is and because she doesn't regulate her playbites and loves to go for the other girls ears which too can lead to a fight. She only does it when she is overly excited and fired up. That's when she re-directs all her energy to the others and why she wears a muzzle whenever I let them out together.

I never, never, never ever have any toys involved. Toys lead to a definite fight between Nala and Indra.

Dotty 12-13-2012 11:18 AM

Thanks for the tips.
What is wrong with the ear bites and play?
Ellie has patchy ears, I wasn't sure if it is from play or food allergies. BTW Ellie is not the dominant one.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrs.K (Post 2654500)
I have three bitches. All three of them are quite drivey, powerful and all three are dominant dogs. They weren't littermates but they compete with each other all the time.

In the house, no issues at all. However, I got them used to a nylon muzzle and that nylon muzzle is a god sent. It became a necessity with a Mal because she doesn't know how strong she is and because she doesn't regulate her playbites and loves to go for the other girls ears which too can lead to a fight. She only does it when she is overly excited and fired up. That's when she re-directs all her energy to the others and why she wears a muzzle whenever I let them out together.

I never, never, never ever have any toys involved. Toys lead to a definite fight between Nala and Indra.

LoveEcho 12-13-2012 11:18 AM

Honestly, I would re-home your daughter's dog. Give them both a chance to thrive and live a normal, happy life... and give YOU a chance to live a normal, happy life. Management can be a full-time thing with crate-and-rotate... and it sucks for both the dogs and the humans.

You said you took her in because she was too much dog... do the pups go to classes, do obedience training, etc?

Dotty 12-13-2012 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoveEcho (Post 2654517)
Honestly, I would re-home your daughter's dog. Give them both a chance to thrive and live a normal, happy life... and give YOU a chance to live a normal, happy life. Management can be a full-time thing with crate-and-rotate... and it sucks for both the dogs and the humans.

You said you took her in because she was too much dog... do the pups go to classes, do obedience training, etc?

The only class they have gone to is "Growl Class" which is a controlled environment where reactive dogs learn to focus on the owner and not trying to kill other dogs and people. THey can't go to normal classes as they are reactive

We have made great progress with this.

Training basic things is easy for them, it is the focus thing that we work on constantly.

Our lives are extremely stressful with the both of them. When it is only one in the house (the other goes to our daughter for a break) it is like a normal household.

Do you really think that they would thrive better apart?