Female litter mates, 13 mos starting to fight - Page 8 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2012, 08:11 PM   #71 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Kymmey, you weren't the only one who commented on the daughter... it doesn't change the situation. I understood your point, but the daughter can only change if she wants to change.
The dog, on the other hand, needs the help.
You are responsible, and that is amazing, because not many are at your age!! Too many things pulling them every which way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2012, 08:14 PM   #72 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DunRingill View Post
Monique Anstee in Victoria, BC. Naughty Dogge
Thank you for taking the time to look that up. They are quite far from me, on an island!
Dotty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2012, 08:22 PM   #73 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Dotty, Jane is right. The reason your daughter can't care for the pets is unimportant. What is important is that you did not let these pets fall through the cracks. Kudos to you for stepping up to the plate. I have three kids currently living at home - 23, 19, and 14. The older two are college students. The youngest just started high school. We recently got a puppy. I knew going in that I would be the primary caregiver. Everyone loves the puppy, but I am the only one who has time. That's just the way it is.
Stevenzachsmom is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2012, 08:49 PM   #74 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
Kymmey, you weren't the only one who commented on the daughter... it doesn't change the situation. I understood your point, but the daughter can only change if she wants to change.
The dog, on the other hand, needs the help.
You are responsible, and that is amazing, because not many are at your age!! Too many things pulling them every which way.
I must have missed any other comments. I may go back and read them. May not. Depends on how soon Matt gets home with food
I agree that the dog needs help. But my concern is that two female 13 m/o GSDs may be a bit much for one person to handle. They're going through the adolescent stage, are feeding off each other and are competing (not as badly as they could, but it is competing).

It's true OP's daughter is at an age where a pet just isn't as easy to give proper care to. And as the above poster said, kudos to OP for taking the animals on! But I do think things would be easier, if not more effective, if OP could get some help. Obviously a trainer is great for both dogs.
But what about trying to reel in the daughter a bit to help?

Dotty- I know you said that your daughter avoided the training. How does she feel about hiking?
Just an idea, depending on the dog of course and your daughter... How would your daughter feel about getting some friends together and going on a hike, and taking the pup that is hers? She could do some simple training while out and about, exercise the dog, and still get social time. And while she had hers hiking, you could work with your girl without worrying that hers isn't happy (:
Not sure if that idea would work for you guys, but I wanted to throw it out there.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:58 PM   #75 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Why I asked about the daughter was that people were saying that she should employ tough love and make the daughter take on the pets. Generally parents in a situation have a better handle than we do who have just read a thread. Also, buying the puppy for the daughter, does make it more understandable why the parent feels responsible for the puppy.

But I agree, why the daughter's home is not necessarily the best place for the puppy isn't important. You are in a rough spot right now with more puppy than most people like to manage.

This is really a tough situation because it is just not a matter of rehoming one of them, not just a matter of sending one to the daughter. They are spayed and two females can live together in the right situation.

Give a month of working on NILIF, walking them separately, taking them separately to classes, and take that seminar. And I wonder if maybe things will get easier. It sounds like you already keep them separated when you are not supervising, so it sounds doable.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2012, 09:01 PM   #76 (permalink)
Knighted Member

With the information you have provided,if you can't manage the two of them in a safe way then I think rehoming one would be better for all involved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dotty View Post
Do you really think that they would thrive better apart?
Gharrissc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2012, 09:34 PM   #77 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GsdLoverr729 View Post
I must have missed any other comments. I may go back and read them. May not. Depends on how soon Matt gets home with food
I agree that the dog needs help. But my concern is that two female 13 m/o GSDs may be a bit much for one person to handle. They're going through the adolescent stage, are feeding off each other and are competing (not as badly as they could, but it is competing).

It's true OP's daughter is at an age where a pet just isn't as easy to give proper care to. And as the above poster said, kudos to OP for taking the animals on! But I do think things would be easier, if not more effective, if OP could get some help. Obviously a trainer is great for both dogs.
But what about trying to reel in the daughter a bit to help?

Dotty- I know you said that your daughter avoided the training. How does she feel about hiking?
Just an idea, depending on the dog of course and your daughter... How would your daughter feel about getting some friends together and going on a hike, and taking the pup that is hers? She could do some simple training while out and about, exercise the dog, and still get social time. And while she had hers hiking, you could work with your girl without worrying that hers isn't happy (:
Not sure if that idea would work for you guys, but I wanted to throw it out there.
THat is a great idea!
I guess I haven't mentioned much of this anywhere, but there is a Mr. Dotty here He walks Ellie and trains her, he is the one that is in charge of her, and I walk train Izzy. I am home with the two of them during the day.

They never ever go for walks together, even if I have one and he has the other.

I used to try and walk them together, training as a pair, but when we ran into two reactive pit bulls on a busy street at rush hour, I could not hold them back, had no control, it was a close call.

They are pretty good in the house. If they are up to something, we don't like, I just say "Bucket!" and stop in their tracks, look at me and zoom into their kennels, lay down and look out at me. It isn't like we have no control over them, we do. We also can say "Enough!" they stop and run into their kennels lol Even if I say "Izzy, bucket!" they both go.

We have to be very strict about kennel time as we have parrots and we would never risk the birds getting hurt.

They know which lines they can cross and which ones they can't. I see now, I need more lines drawn though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
Why I asked about the daughter was that people were saying that she should employ tough love and make the daughter take on the pets. Generally parents in a situation have a better handle than we do who have just read a thread. Also, buying the puppy for the daughter, does make it more understandable why the parent feels responsible for the puppy.

But I agree, why the daughter's home is not necessarily the best place for the puppy isn't important. You are in a rough spot right now with more puppy than most people like to manage.

This is really a tough situation because it is just not a matter of rehoming one of them, not just a matter of sending one to the daughter. They are spayed and two females can live together in the right situation.

Give a month of working on NILIF, walking them separately, taking them separately to classes, and take that seminar. And I wonder if maybe things will get easier. It sounds like you already keep them separated when you are not supervising, so it sounds doable.
We will try everything to make it work. We all love the dogs.
Dotty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2012, 11:01 PM   #78 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dotty View Post
Thank you for taking the time to look that up. They are quite far from me, on an island!
Ah well it was a shot. She's a friend of mine and an EXCELLENT trainer. she might know of someone closer to you.
PAM FGDCh Ianna von Sontausen UDX,BH,TD,RE,PT (4.26.1998 - 2.11.2013)
DunRingill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.