how to play nice? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2012, 12:13 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default how to play nice?

Hi, my name is Don and I have a 4 month old GSD puppy named Ace. He is full of energy and loves to play. Im having a problem getting him to play nice with smaller breed dogs. My parents have a miniature schnauzer who is 5 yrs old and she plays back but puts him in his place when he goes to far by giving him a good nip on the lip or ear etc. But my girlfriend has a 3 yr old spaniel that wont put him in his place. So he paws and bites at the ears and legs and tail. I know its just puppy play and not aggression so we try to get him away but he always returns to get in her face. How can i get him to understand that biting her is wrong and he need to play nice?

Thanks
Dphelps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2012, 08:36 AM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

Well, I would first suggest that you find a more appropriate play mate for your puppy ... another GSD puppy in the area? (I am NOT advising you to get another one!)

Or another "big" dog puppy in the area? GSDs are rough when they play, and while the min schnauzer is putting your pup in his place, the spaniel probably never will. Some dogs will "correct" and others will cower.

And of course he returns to the spaniel, in his world, it's fun. You won't get him to "understand" it's wrong, he's a puppy. It's like trying to explain to a 2 year old child that you're going to the toy store but you can't touch or buy anything!

He needs an appropriate playmate to be able to play like a puppy ... hence the suggestion of another "big dog" puppy, or another adult dog that LIKES puppies and will properly correct the puppy when he's too rough. You need to make sure that the adult dog is correcting PROPERLY and not being a bully to your puppy.

Good luck,
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.