Please critique this training exercise - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2012, 01:42 PM   #11 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
I'm not sure I totally get the question (or the goal) but I do a lot of training where instead of luring the dog (food in hand, holding a ball on my shoulder) I'm deliberately showing the dog what they want, putting it where they know it is, and making them do what *I* say first. So with Nikon this would be doing a little teasing/loading him up for the ball, then I drop the ball on the ground and do stuff like heel around it, even walk over it. When I'm satisfied with the intensity and attention I mark and release him to go get the toy.

In the formal retrieves I want fast, powerful retrieves so I'm more careful about how I do things i training. Normally I work on the impulse control (waiting in basic position for the retrieve command) separate from the actual retrieving, so I don't do many retrieves where I throw the dumbbell and then make the dog wait longer or do other stuff before retrieving. I say this because I've never had my dog leave me early in trial but I did have one instance where I had to give him a second retrieve command.

Whatever you do, just be sure to always mix it up and not unintentionally pattern train behaviors or anticipation that you don't want.
I'm not gonna comment on your comment, because I recognize so many errors in my approach. It does get frustrating for me.

HOWEVER, I do want to say that I can't stop looking at your avatar. That dog is so stunning.
Anthony8858 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2012, 01:45 PM   #12 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony8858 View Post
I'm not gonna comment on your comment, because I recognize so many errors in my approach. It does get frustrating for me.

HOWEVER, I do want to say that I can't stop looking at your avatar. That dog is so stunning.
I can watch a video of me handling & training last Saturday and pick it apart. Don't be hard on yourself. No one does it perfectly. I don't even need the video.. I knew what I did wrong immediatly
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald, 2 x SchH3, Kkl 1
hunterisgreat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 01:50 PM   #13 (permalink)
Crowned Member

just skimmed through this post so not totally sure what the question was.

in standard akc / ckc obedience training trials - hunter field dog trials the dog must wait until released .

dog at side, dumb bell thrown (bumper) , dog told "take it" , he can't just run out --
carmspack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 01:58 PM   #14 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I'm not looking for trial-type training. I just want to have full control of my dog, in the event of an "siutation". I want a solid recall, and down from any distance. I want to be able to call her off if she goes into prey mode, and she's running towards a street.

Carmen, you know her history as well as anyone.... Imagine me playing with her in an open field (like in the video). There's always a chance that someone could come walking from over the hills with a dog off leash. I want to be 100%, that I can call her off, and have her come to me without hesitation.

THAT'S what I want..
Old 12-05-2012, 01:59 PM   #15 (permalink)
Knighted Member

First I taught the platz (down) and practiced it from different distances from the dog. Later I introduced the command during the send away of the retrieve. I don't do it very often. Only when the dog is very amped.
robk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 02:02 PM   #16 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk View Post
First I taught the platz (down) and practiced it from different distances from the dog. Later I introduced the command during the send away of the retrieve. I don't do it very often. Only when the dog is very amped.

OK.... This is something I had some trouble with.
How do I enforce a down, with a ramped up dog on a send away?

She's obviously in overdrive, and not looking at me
Old 12-05-2012, 02:04 PM   #17 (permalink)
Crowned Member

but you have control of her in this scenario because you are controlling her desire to run after the thrown ball

obedience bleeds over into other exercises
Old 12-05-2012, 02:09 PM   #18 (permalink)
Crowned Member

How do I enforce a down, with a ramped up dog on a send away?

that is what I mean exactly -- to get the ball she is ramped up , so you train her to wait until you release her - only then can she go .
French ring campagne training has call offs. You do not even know what judge is going to tell you. He may ask for you to send the dog , who needs to go out with convincing speed. The judge may want your dog to connect -- or he may test you and ask the dog to be called off . If you call off too soon , not in that zone of higest conflict (for the dog who is oh so close) then points against you , or if dog keeps on trucking and connects - against you. In other words the dog has to be controllable under maximum temptation - same thing with police service dogs - they need to be recalled - everytime they are sent does not guarantee a bite.
Old 12-05-2012, 02:21 PM   #19 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk View Post
Why very amped? I'd think that makes the dog harder to comply?
Bear L is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 02:24 PM   #20 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear L View Post
Why very amped? I'd think that makes the dog harder to comply?
Amped enough that you may not get the down. A solid down with a calm dog won't hold when it's chasing a squirrel into the road. You train in drive
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald, 2 x SchH3, Kkl 1
hunterisgreat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.