What command to use? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2012, 08:13 AM   #1 (permalink)
Master Member

Default What command to use?

I taught Zoey how to "speak" on command and "Snap" on command but I feel like these words sound to similar for her to easily distinguish the two. She gets them mixed up often so we might need a new word. Speak is obviously just her barking.... Snap is her snapping her teeth, or an air bite if you will.

Has anyone taught your dog the snap and if so, what command did you use?

Zoey- Adopted Belgian Malinois on 4/29/12
Princess- WGSD 3/15/01-9/21/11 Forever would've been to short...
Nickyb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2012, 08:15 AM   #2 (permalink)
The Rescues Rule Administrator

Zoey has some biting issues. Is there a reason to teach her these things? Is it advisable? Asking other people who will read this thread, not the OP.

Are you just naming it so that you can extinguish the behavior?
Old 12-04-2012, 08:53 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanKBBMMMAAN View Post
Zoey has some biting issues. Is there a reason to teach her these things? Is it advisable? Asking other people who will read this thread, not the OP.

Are you just naming it so that you can extinguish the behavior?
Teaching her the command so I can control it. She air bites ALL THE TIME and to pretty much everyone who walks in the door, it is quite intimidating. Although with her history, maybe its not the greatest idea? Thoughts?

Old 12-04-2012, 08:59 AM   #4 (permalink)
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

When she air snaps - what is her body language? How do people react, and what does Sophie do afterwards?

I'm trying to figure out if her snapping is excited play behaviour or a display of aggression.

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? Shelter rescue
Gryffon Vom Wildhaus BH
Castlemaid is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 09:04 AM   #5 (permalink)
The Rescues Rule Administrator

That's what I am hoping other people will kick in with too. Because she has bitten, I would definitely want to look at the behavior closely.

When I got my GSD at 8 months she did the excitement chatter. Her sister, who I fostered years later, does a snappa snappa. My dog "grew out" of the behavior as she got less nervous, more confident (3 years of obedience classes). I have not seen her do it in forever. With her, it was just a matter of getting comfortable, feeling protected, not feeling she had to do anything, and leashing/tethering to me to reinforce that feeling of "oh, she's got it."

Her sister, when I first got her, did it all the time, and I didn't even realize how much until she almost snappa snapped my face at the vet office and they all went EEEEEEEEEEEEEEE and I didn't know why! As time went by, she did it much less, but she was about 9 when I started fostering, and it was pretty ingrained. She still does it in her new home. With her I tried replacement behaviors to give her something else to do, strict boundaries/NILIF. She also needs tethering in new situations/with new people to keep her on the straight and narrow.

ETA - Castlemaid made me think - say on the off chance it were excitement and happiness - I would still tether her and use a tug or ball to keep her mouth occupado with you, not the guests engaging her.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:34 AM   #6 (permalink)
Master Member

Thanks for the responses!!! I really didn't think it was an issue until I looked at it a different way, and I appreciate ya'll helping me think that way!

I'll take some video of it but in the mean time, I'll do my best to describe.

It's a pretty serious snap, but shes done it ever since I got her. She'll just sit and when I give her the snap command, she'll simply just snap. She does it on walks occasionally when she see's something of interest. She doesn't do it ALL the time but on the off chance she does it when somebody is over, they go WHOA wtf was that! She doesn't stare at them and do it rather just walks around and does a snap or two. Zoey is an oddball if you can't tell and pretty hard to read.

Old 12-05-2012, 12:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickyb View Post
Thanks for the responses!!! I really didn't think it was an issue until I looked at it a different way, and I appreciate ya'll helping me think that way!

I'll take some video of it but in the mean time, I'll do my best to describe.

It's a pretty serious snap, but shes done it ever since I got her. She'll just sit and when I give her the snap command, she'll simply just snap. She does it on walks occasionally when she see's something of interest. She doesn't do it ALL the time but on the off chance she does it when somebody is over, they go WHOA wtf was that! She doesn't stare at them and do it rather just walks around and does a snap or two. Zoey is an oddball if you can't tell and pretty hard to read.
Nick,

^^^ Those observations would concern me. I can see that escalating into a nip.
Walking, and seeing something of interest, sounds as if there's a level of frustration.
I'm no expert, but I would try to discourage this behavior, before giving it a command name.

Kira does this "snapping" ONLY if she's waiting for me to throw her frisbee, and I'm taking too long to throw it. She gets excited, and anxious.
If she were to exhibit the same anxious behavior when she meets people, I suspect I would have a potential problem.
Anthony8858 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.