Training questions - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2012, 05:35 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Training questions

Just got my 5 month old male GSD today. Im sure I might sound like Im jumping the gun already but I want to start training him asap. As Im typing Jack is in his new crate. I have him started on house breaking. So far he sits in the crate with no problems except for an occasional whine. I take him out every 2 hours to pee and get some exercise because he lacks muscle. My question is how many hours do I keep him in his crate? Its bad enough that his crate is in my dining room but thats because I dont have the space to put him in the living room with the crate. If I leave him out Im scared that he will pee because my floors have pee scent thanks to George my maltese lol. Yeah didnt know about crate training then. Any ideas on how to go about it?

Also do you guys recoment I send him to doggy obedience school for basic commands like sit, heel, leave it and so on? Or do you think its best if I try to train himself.

Also what do you guys think I should do at night if he starts whining? Will he be able to hold his pee at night for all those hours?

Thanks
Pete
Justaguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2012, 05:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Don't send him to school, you need to go with him to obedience classes so both of you can bond, learn and have fun!
At his age he should be able to hold it thru the night, but who knows what the previous owners did with him, he may not have built up stamina to hold it very long.
Keep a line on him when he's out of his crate and just watch out for signals that he may need to go out. A couple accidents are expected just use a key word "outside" and run him out as soon as you catch him in the act. Don't reprimand him for it, just bring him right outside to a designated potty spot.

Be sure you get a vet check on him. Did the previous owner have any vaccines done? If so, please don't over vaccinate him. Read this before you take him to the vet://www.itsfortheanimals.com/DODDS-CHG-VACC-PROTOCOLS.HTM
I'd also read through the puppy threads, lots of great information within.
Congrats on Jack!
Old 11-22-2012, 05:51 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
Don't send him to school, you need to go with him to obedience classes so both of you can bond, learn and have fun!
At his age he should be able to hold it thru the night, but who knows what the previous owners did with him, he may not have built up stamina to hold it very long.
Keep a line on him when he's out of his crate and just watch out for signals that he may need to go out. A couple accidents are expected just use a key word "outside" and run him out as soon as you catch him in the act. Don't reprimand him for it, just bring him right outside to a designated potty spot.

Be sure you get a vet check on him. Did the previous owner have any vaccines done? If so, please don't over vaccinate him. Read this before you take him to the vet://www.itsfortheanimals.com/DODDS-CHG-VACC-PROTOCOLS.HTM
I'd also read through the puppy threads, lots of great information within.
Congrats on Jack!
Problem with that training is that my wife don't drive and Im at work most of the day. That is why I was asking about in board obedience training.

They did absolutely nothing with him at all. Im taking him to the vet early next week. I guess after he pee's outside I could let him hang with us for a bit in the living room.

Thanks
Justaguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2012, 07:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

1>>>> when i was crate training my pup i use to put
him in his crate for 5 to 10 minutes and then let him out.
i increased his crate time slowly. sometimes when i crated him
sometime i stayed in the room where he was crated and sometimes
i would leave the room and the house. when my pup wasn't crated
we watched him like a hawk. they don't learn house rules when crated.

2>>>> do you know how to train a dog? if you don't definitely get
professional help.

3>>>> when my pup was crated at night i use to take him
out every 2 hours. by the time he was 4 months old he was
going out once at night. he use to wake one of us up at 4:00 am
every morning to go out. this went on untill he was 8 months old.
we never refused him when he asked to go out. there's no set time
how long a dog can hold it over night. i think a lot of how long they
hold over night has to do with each individual dog.

good luck with the new pup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justaguy View Post
Just got my 5 month old male GSD today. Im sure I might sound like Im jumping the gun already but I want to start training him asap. As Im typing Jack is in his new crate. I have him started on house breaking. So far he sits in the crate with no problems except for an occasional whine. I take him out every 2 hours to pee and get some exercise because he lacks muscle.

1>>>> My question is how many hours do I keep him in his crate? Its bad enough that his crate is in my dining room but thats because I dont have the space to put him in the living room with the crate. If I leave him out Im scared that he will pee because my floors have pee scent thanks to George my maltese lol. Yeah didnt know about crate training then. Any ideas on how to go about it?

2>>>> Also do you guys recoment I send him to doggy obedience school for basic commands like sit, heel, leave it and so on? Or do you think its best if I try to train himself.

3>>> Also what do you guys think I should do at night if he starts whining? Will he be able to hold his pee at night for all those hours?

Thanks
Pete
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2012, 07:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

find a trainer that will come to your house.

Quote:

>>>> Problem with that training is that my wife don't drive and Im at work most of the day. <<<<

That is why I was asking about in board obedience training.

They did absolutely nothing with him at all. Im taking him to the vet early next week. I guess after he pee's outside I could let him hang with us for a bit in the living room.

Thanks
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2012, 09:27 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I would only crate him when you can't watch him. Crating him all the time like you are doing is not good. So long as you have cleaned the floors well and you keep an eye on him all the time, you should be fine. You still have to take him out very often and you have to go out with him to make sure he actually potties before coming back in.

If you have no experience in obedience training, have to have help. Whether this means you finding the time to take him or having someone come to your house, is up to you, but it will be extremely helpful for you. You could send him for training, but you need training to and if you don't have it, the dog will quickly regress.
Old 11-22-2012, 11:12 PM   #7 (permalink)

I Agree with Elaine. Only crate him when you can't watch him. If your in a certain room close it off so he can't wander to far. As soon as he starts squatting (or whatever his procedure is) yell loud enough to startle him to go outside. ONce he gets use to a room he wont smell around so much either. So if he starts to smell around chances are he's looking for a spot to relieve himself. So go outside and hang until he pees or ****s. Once outside and he pees outside its all praise, good puppy good puppy hugs and kisses.

If he makes an accident somewhere and you don't catch him in the act do not yell at him. Just make sure you clean it thoroughly so the sent is no longer there.
runnershigh108 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2012, 01:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

If there is one in a your area, a doggy day care program may be work out for you since you work and your wife may not want to do the walking and training. Some of these programs also offer training. You could drop the pup off when you go to work and pick him up on the way home. For the floors, a stain & odor remover with an enzyme cleaner (you can get them at a pet store or even a grocery store in the pet section) will take care of your pup wanting to pee in the areas the little dog did. When you are home, instead of crating, just hook your pup's leash to your belt - that way you can prevent any accidents and also you can spend time with your pup.
Old 11-23-2012, 01:35 PM   #9 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Quote:
If I leave him out Im scared that he will pee because my floors have pee scent thanks to George my maltese lol.
You should use an enzyme cleaner on your floors to remove the pee smell, because that could definitely become a problem for housebreaking Jack. Rather than leaving him in his crate or allowing him to roam loose in the house, (neither of which is a great option), you can tether him to you with a leash when he's out of his crate. That way he can be constantly supervised and won't be able to wander into another room to do his business. What I'd also do is close the puppy in a room with me, like the office, when we're on our computers, where I could keep an eye on him/her.

At 5 months old he might have enough control to not need to go outside during the night, but if he wakes up and and is whining, I'd personally take him out. Once he's housebroken he should be able to sleep through the night.
Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2012, 01:53 PM   #10 (permalink)

He is old enough to hold his pee in.. while crate training, I have no clue because I don't find it necessary to crate my pups. I have a huge backyard, and in case I have to go anywhere, I will leave them outside.. and if it rains? I have a built in cage with a top if necessary..

They have beds, I just dont care for the crate..

You can always look on youtube for crate training pups. They explain things pretty thoroughly and sometimes show how things work with the dog/pup.

None of my pups were house trained, I yelled at them when they did ab oopsie.. they have that guilty look on their faces hehe its so cute and hard to stay mad at them! Just clean it will with some mr.clean (I use for tiles, wood) for carpets, enzyme is fine

You can teach your own dog how to sit, down etc etc.. if you really dunno how then go to an obedient school Im guessin..

If you have trouble with pullin, use a prong collar . Im pretty excited about mine. My dog is heeling, sitting, stopping and not pulling.

Goodluck with jack :P
kelina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.