German Shepherds Forum banner

Be comfortable w/ Teeth Exam

814 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  jae 
#1 ·
So I missed the boat on this one, I concentrated on everything else (nails, ears, body, tail) but apparently forgot about the mouth/teeth area.

Any tips on getting her comfortable with having someone look into her mouth/teeth? She lets me brush her teeth on a daily basis but was not having any part of the vet looking into her mouth this morning.

#2 ·
I use 'show me' when I pull up my dog's lips. Then I treat. When at the vet, I use 'show me' and I pull up the lips. My vet allows me to hold their lips up for the exam.

#3 ·
From "art of raising a puppy" they advise to lift up the lips, starting slow, praise, then as you and your dog feel comfortable, start with slowly and slightly opening her mouth, stop if there is any resistance, praise. continue until you can look in mouth wide open for a few seconds then gradually increase time. it worked for me. I wouldn't count on longer than ten seconds at her best, if that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.